Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

95 F-150,, 5.0 litre.

The hose in the middle is tied into the heater hose, and whatever it’s going to, is blowing coolant out of the bottom.

We changed the thermostat, and flushing the system when this started leaking.

I am not going to sit here and pretend to be a mechanic, but my guess is that is a 5.0 liter engine.

Edit... and just a WAG but I am thinking it is from a 95 f-150.

Ps i don't know.
    Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it’s a purge solenoid

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Maybe not….it has coolant running thru it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          I think he’s talking about the hose itself because he mentioned that toward the end of the OP.

If so, it looks like something to do with the heater core, but those are usually located inside of the vehicle and behind the dash on the passenger side. I have no idea if that’s what this is, or is even related because I’m not familiar with the listed truck, but a picture from where the leak is at would be helpful.

Comment

I don’t know about this particular one, but some older motors had coolant flowing through the throttle body in order to prevent ice buildup from making the throttle stick open. Primarily this is needed on those older vehicles in colder climates. That’s my guess.

Comment

It’s part of the throttle body like 91 said. The coolant is leaking out the bottom of the body. Next to the bolt , in bottom pic.

This is my grandson’s first truck. Trying to teach him some basic maintenance.

Comment

Lesson #1: Be careful flushing an old engine. The flushing chemical may cause holes.

Comment

Upon further research, the previous owner removed a steel nipple from the bottom of the throttle body, and capped off the other side.

Gonna have to get a new throttle body.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                    Upon further research, the previous owner removed a steel nipple from the bottom of the throttle body, and capped off the other side.

Gonna have to get a new throttle body.

They like to bypass the throttle body coolant because you will get a little better performance with the cooler air going into the engine. It really isnt needed in Texas. I'd just cap it. Those nipples on the TB like to rust off.

Comment

Those hoses, are coolant hoses, that go to the throttle body, to heat up the throttle body, because Ford was worried the throttle body might be too cool and the air in the intake might be too cool, which would make more hp. That huge aluminum intake, is going to suck heat out of that iron engine like crazy and stay hot long after the rest of the engine is cool.

The wanted the air to be hot, to produce lower emissions, as far as they were concerned the hotter the better. It guaranteed the air would be less dense with oxygen if it was hot.

You can and I would by pass that mess. Just run a hose from the intake back to the heater core, then also cap off the return port coming back from the throttle body. It won't help power enough that you will notice. It was standard procedure for the Mustang guys in the late 80s and early 90s, to cap those off, then put a bag of ice on top of the intake. Doing that would give you a small increase in power, that you could see on a time slip. Nothing you would notice driving a F150.

Ford has done that crap of running engine coolant to the throttle body, on a lot of their vehicles ever since the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                        They like to bypass the throttle body coolant because you will get a little better performance with the cooler air going into the engine. It really isnt needed in Texas. I'd just cap it. Those nipples on the TB like to rust off.

Yep… just found that out. This was the top nipple.

Ima gonna bypass it all, and save $400 for a new TB.

Thanks to all who had good advice.

Comment

Y'all all wrong!! That's a Johnson Rod solenoid!! It's stuck open. That's what caused all the corrosion!!

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                            Those nipples on the TB like to rust off.
                            Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I try to steer clear of rusty nipples!

Comment

Working...
                            X