TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
    The trapped coon wont give you any issues, its just another critter in the woods to the deer..

And like mentioned above, taking measures to prevent the coons from doing damage or feeding is the quickest way to slow their assault on the feeders and your feed bill.

Then if you are still worried about feed loss keep trapping them or wait till after season and go full tilt on them..

Coon jobs have became one of my favorites..I can wipe coons out fairly quickly in a few days..

Hypothetical question I suppose, but on 600 acres how many coon traps would you put out on a paid job?

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
      Hypothetical question I suppose, but on 600 acres how many coon traps would you put out on a paid job?

All of them..

I'm running 48 right now and will be picking up another 24 before season is over.
      Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Alot of good info here....thanks for the thread. I've gotten really intersted in learning how to trap the last couple of years. I guess i'm not sure how to get started. I'm gonna follow this thread for sure

Comment

All of them..

I'm running 48 right now and will be picking up another 24 before season is over.

That must be some work but also rewarding and fun.

Comment

I love those duke dps easy to set an quick you can set them pretty quick. How many do you set around say a feeder or one spot tuff?

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. As always, sound advice from the GS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                I love those duke dps easy to set an quick you can set them pretty quick. How many do you set around say a feeder or one spot tuff?

Feeders and Protein stations I usually drop 4 and keep some distance between them...greedy coons will have a nice trap on each front foot if ya don't and cut down on your daily harvest.

Comment

Feeders and Protein stations I usually drop 4 and keep some distance between them...greedy coons will have a nice trap on each front foot if ya don't and cut down on your daily harvest.
                  Lol that's true. I need to try to work them over this year.

Comment

If you set the trails on the way to feeder and not directly at the feeder you'll have more consistent success. Snares or ztraps if youre going to have more than one check night, I do better in the trails. For some reason the location tends to go dead when you're on top of the feeder. Just what ive noticed, in different terrain types too. Like dale said keep them far enough to where they can't get caught in two traps, 2 traps = 2 coon not 1 coon plugin up both.

Comment

Next Wed.....Is the start of commercial season for beaver only.

Anyone going to go out and test the water?

I plan on putting out about 6 sets on Wed. then pull them the very next morning, should have 3-4 beaver easy.

Thursday going to skin, flesh and put them on boards to see how the leather is looking as well as the guard hair and underfur is developing.

Depending on how they look will dictate on whether the following Monday we will go full tilt on them..

How do the beaver look Dale?

Comment

Just picked up a few more DP's cant wait for season to start!

Comment

What kind did you pick up Jacobtyler? I'm partial to the z's but have caught coon in the grizz and duke brands as well. I like the z's whether they're the old straight trigger or the newer cross trigger they have out. I have heard good things about daggers, lol, until recently there was some disturbance at a Kansas trapping convention.

Comment

Yotes been out smarting us on the snares we run on our fence line. So started using leg hold traps. Caught 2 last week.

Comment

Shurshot... what size/type it that leghold on that Coyotes leg? That is a big boy trap.

Comment

Good deal shurshot! Threw the steel to them and got em! I usually like those fences for yote snaring, but cats and coons seem to go through where they please for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                                X