Feeder Build w/ wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Build w/ wood

Don’t have a welding machine so you have to compromise. Still more to come. I am going to apply a durable paint coat on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	0A87B1B6-BA1D-472E-9DCC-E15BEF08E716.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	25171193Click image for larger version

Name:	0558BD4E-C02A-4B71-8CA8-2DCF4CA7D816.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	25171194

Welder? Just buy a barrel and bolt up kit.
    I hope it works out for you but I think there is a reason no one uses wood.

Comment

You will have problems with moisture and also rodents will be able to chew threw the wood!
      I'd go with a 55 gallon barrel and just use a bolt together kit like "FireNguns" has already stated!

Comment

Turn that thing sideways and make a doghouse. Cuts your losses and buy metal!

Comment

Go metal, that isn’t going to last long at all.

Comment

While i agree that a barrel is a better option, what you are building will certainly work if you do it right. Caulk all the seams well and put a hefty coat of latex paint on it.

Comment

Well, it's a different idea.

Hope it works for ya.

Comment

Maybe a couple of rolls of tape for insurance ?
                Attached Files

Comment

I see a future of moldy corn mess for you .

Comment

I know a guy who built some 600 LB protein feeders with wood that was then covered with heavy metal flashing. It was a great design and worked well.

His were really cool because they were "timed" feeders before timed feeders like the hammer were made.

He had the hopper necked down to a 4" hole and used an Over-sized spinner plate. (Like double the size of a normal one)

The spinner would sling the protein into the enclosure and the protein would then fall down 4 different feed tubes.

On his math, it would take a week of no protein consumption before he had a backup. He's been running the same feeder for 12 years with zero backups/clogs.

Comment

Well hell im gonna give it a shot. At least I had fun building it. Going to add some sheet metal to it tomorrow.Click image for larger version

Name:	CE6E6D88-0366-462D-BD44-A41A2BC56B57.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24571575

Comment

I know a guy that has had a wood one for at least 6 years. No moisture or rodent issues. A barrel would be better.

Comment

I would coat the exterior with a type of fluid applied water proofing memebrane

Comment

Feeder Build w/ wood

I think you are going to be disappointed how little corn passes through that 1x 1/2” mesh... need 1x1” minimum. It’s going to all be under it.

Comment

While metal would be better, use what you have

I agree with Smart though, change that screen out for one with bigger holes in it

Comment

Working...
                              X