Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X2!!!

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
    I very rarely field dress mine but if I were to use a processor I would for cooling.

I try to have mine hanging asap after killing it. Skin quarter and on ice.

And before you ask, if you're handy with a fillet blade you can remove the tenderloins without gutting the deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    X2!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
      Those that don’t gut, I guess you just chunk the heart, liver, & ribs?
      Yessir.

Comment

I don't keep the liver or heart, but do have my packer saw up all the bones for my fur babies , and every single scrap of meat! As I said I have nothing but contempt for people who can't or will not gut their game

Comment

verify dead, tag, go to camp immediately begin gutting, and save heart, to the processor, unless cool enough to hand overnight. I had to learn to field dress before I ever hunted..

Comment

Just think, that’s probably the meat you are getting back! Haha, I normally do my own processing. I have taken a few to Penshorns in Marion, TX and I’m sure they gave me my meat back as quick as they get it done. My deer are quartered when I drop them off.

Comment

I've field dressed a few, but generally pull them up a ramp into the bed of the pickup and have them on a gambrel in my shed in about 10 minutes. I gut them hanging, then pull the TL's, skin and quarter them and have them on ice inside of an hour.

It's nice being only a 5 minute drive from hunting spots.

Comment

When I was 15 or so I was at a processor with my dad dropping off a deer and this guy brought 5 does that he plopped off the tailgate onto the concrete. I remember thinking that they were huge compared to our deer... At 16 I started driving to my hunting spot and realized this 5 deer were not gutted and were bloated as all get out. I gut where lying dead for dragging purposes or do the gutless method hanging. Taking a deer to a processor without gutting it is like buying underwear rather than wiping. Disgusting!

Comment

I don't gut mine, except when I go with a buddy to his place. He insists on it, and while I don't know why, I don't mind. I mean, he lets me hunt at his place.

Comment

Saw this the other night for the first time. Took a deer I shot to steves in Brady as I was in a jury and didn't want to quarter to take to Hudsons the next day (too hot to leave whole). Dude shot a good 8 in eden. Guys still in it. Paid the guy $60 to gut it lol. Took 30 seconds. Literally. I'd have done it for half that haha

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      I very rarely field dress mine but if I were to use a processor I would for cooling.

I try to have mine hanging asap after killing it. Skin quarter and on ice.

And before you ask, if you're handy with a fillet blade you can remove the tenderloins without gutting the deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

BINGO

We are back to doing our own processing but I have never taken a deer to a processor that wasn’t gutted and skinned.

Comment

I gut mine in the field as soon as I finish pictures, it takes me maybe 5 minutes. I also do this for a living so I get plenty of practice and all of the guides where I work practice this so the skinning shed isn't occupied with everyone gutting their clients animals when we need to score them, weigh them, take more pictures, do all the legal logs, and cape them out for whatever mount the client wants and sometimes process them

Comment

I gut and take the heart. rib meat, and some liver. All the meat comes off the bone on site and all I take out is edibles only (allowed in this state). When I'm done, all I leave is bones and organs for the most part. Thats most of the time except an elk when I was by myself and had quite a ways to shuttle meat back, I did the gutless method but took every piece I could cut off..

I still gut in Texas to get to the heart, tenders, and rib meat.

Comment

Big whitetails and Muleys get boned. Rib meat too. I'll starve a coyote.

Little Columbus-like deer...

Hind quarters, shoulders, straps, and neck meat are in the cooler. No field dress.

Comment

There's no right answer, but I am surprised to see there are that many folks out there that don't gut a deer! We gut ours right after pictures and get it quartered and on ice shortly thereafter. Always works out for us, but to each their own.

Comment

I don't field dress my deer anymore but I don't take them to a processor, either. I process my own deer, myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X