Food plots in the woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plots in the woods

Anyone know how much cleared area you need to allow in enough sunlight for a food plot in the woods? The location is in SW Arkansas where we have pines and white oak. What would you plant in the fall that is semi shade tolerant?

In small plots like that you need to take into consideration not just the plant type but the orientation of the plot. Those small plots do the best if they are planted in an east-west direction so that they can obtain the most amount of sunlight during the day. If you have alot of hardwoods that will loose their leaves in the fall you will get more light penetration than if your surrounded by pines.

As far as the plant type, i've had pretty good luck with buck forage oats in small isolated plots, but then I made my plots so that they were east-west oriented.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Cow peas like sunlight but will grow in the woods. But will probably be destroyed before the three leaf stage. I would look more into what you aready have for native forage, honey suckle, green briar, ect. and fertilize. You will be suplized at the protein levels and increased usage........and its hopefully already there.

Comment

Got plenty of those. Thanks Low Fence.

Comment

Working...
          X