Another Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Lens

Recently got into the photography addiction and looking to add something to the bag. Looking for opinions on a good walk around lens as well as a few options into zoom lenses.

Shooting the Canon 50D. Some of the ideas that I have looked at are the 24-105($650 ebay new) and the 70-200. Any other ideas are appreciated.

I have a 50D as well. Great body for the (used) price.

The three lenses I've settled on (and I've been all around the world when it comes to lenses) are the 17-40L (not too expensive for an "L" lens), the 55-250 IS (a.k.a. the "nifty two-fifty") and the Tamron 200-500 telephoto zoom.

The 17-40 is a superb lens, and is a good walk-around lens for the cropped sensor 50D body. The 55-250 IS is an unbelievable lens for the price. I got mine used for $169 at Houston Camera Exchange, and the image quality is just unbelievable. For everything wildlife, I'm real happy with my Tamron 200-500. I got it for about $450 from KEH camera in GA - a real good wholesale used lens dealer I've had great luck with.

A less expensive every-day lens that is really good is the 17-55 IS STM lens. It's very compact and produces excellent image quality as well. Surprisingly good for an inexpensive lens.

Those are my picks for that body. You could spend a lot more on the long lens (Tamron has a 150-600 with image stabilization for about $1K that has everyone talking) but the image quality I get with mine is more than good enough for me. If I were planning to sell my photos, I'm might upgrade, but I just share them with friends and enjoy them myself.

John

Comment

I bought the 24-105 for my 60d and rarely take it off. All depends on what you like to shoot.

I rented the 10-22 wide angle and soon bought one. Great for landscapes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into these options. I am not looking the break the bank, but don't want to spend money on something that is not even needed.

Keep the responses coming.

Comment

17-55 f2.8 IS is awesome. Some consider it the best non L lens for crop frame cameras. I've gotten many great images out of mine on a 20d, 50d and 7d.

Comment

Honestly, after seeing the difference in my 17-55 STM lens and the much more expensive 17-40L, I wouldn't bother getting a more expensive everyday lens unless you plan on trying to get your photos published. It was that good.

Comment

24-105mm
              You will not find a better walk around lens

OK, maybe a very close 2nd place would be the
              Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (its got macro!)

Tamron:

Last edited by Henry; 07-10-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Henry, those are great lenses, but he has a crop body 50D. Those are 40mm equivalent on the wide end.

Comment

Yeah absolutely true, however i still believe those are great lenses despite the 1.6x crop factor.

I love the 17-40, however i found myself wanting to reach out a little more, more often than needing wide. I purchased a 10-22mm for my wide cravings.

Comment

Gotcha. I've heard nothing but great things about that 10-22.

Comment

I do have a slight complaint about the 10-22,and that's that it's quite soft at over 16-20 aperture.

If your shooting things like interiors for example, stay under 16.

Comment

One reason I bought the 17-40L is that it works great as an all-round for my 50D, and my next body will be a FF, so then it will be my ultra-wide on that body.

Next lens I get will be that coveted 150-600 Tamron with the IS. Sick lens.

Comment

I'll have to rent it one day. Maybe next time I go to yellow stone.

Comment

Been really looking into the 17-55 after everyone's input. I have looked at a few of the internet sites, but is there a general price point that I could expect to pay? Bought my 50D used (couldn't even tell though), so I don't mind buying used, but just not positive on what may be a good deal or not. Still haven't ruled out the 17-40, but reading a lot of good reviews on the crop camera and the 17-55.

Appreciate all the help from Henry, John, and Casey.

Comment

I think you can get one around $600 used.

Comment

Working...
                              X