Male or female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male or female

I just put a deposit on a chocolate lab puppy. The puppy comes from a 2 y/o male that has 42 total derby points and has the highest points of a chocolate lab as a 2 y/o and and has 6 derby wins qualified 1st and 2nd at 26 months old , the female is a black lab that is a 3 y/o and was an AKC master hunter at the age of 2. I have not yet decided on a male or female. I know i want the chocolate but don't know what sex i want. IYO what would you choose?

Female everytime. They don't seem to be as hardheaded or stubborn as a male. But for me when I duck and goose hunted A LOT size was more important than gender. Down here in the swampy marshes, big and heavy males tired out a lot quicker than the small " pocket labs" did

Comment

For me Females always trained easier. I currently have a yellow male that is about as pedigreed as they come but boy is he haaaaard headed but super smart. Almost too smart

Comment

Female

Comment

male. females are to needy.

Comment

I have an 11.5 year old female and a 2 year old male. My male is right about 100 pounds. I love him to death but he is hard headed and tough to control. He listens to me fairly well but not to others. He is fantastic at tracking deer though. My female is way more calm and easy to work with. She truly wants to please you and seems to really figure stuff out without as much instruction. I would go female unless you need a big, powerful dog--like big geese, big water or cranes.

Comment

I've got a male and he's been the best lab I've ever owned. Easy to train, great hunter and family pet.

Comment

Female with out a doubt.

Comment

Male hands down for me

Comment

I've got a male. He never barks (that could be bad) as he know no stranger. Everyone is his best friend. He's been easy to train, great hunter and family pet. I think if I wanted a little bit of a guard dog I would of got a female.

Comment

Female in my opinion. For the pi***ng as much as anything!

Comment

My male was usually stronger and more driven than females Ive hunted over. Most of my buddies had females that were great dogs, but they were always blown away by Jakes drive and endurance. He would never pull off of a bird, even after 3 days of hunting with his pads worn down to raw meat.

Comment

I have trained over 1000 labs through the years and have had awesome dogs of every color and sex. I have also trained lousy dogs of every color and sex. It really is a matter of preference. I tell my clients this when asked the same question..... Females are in heat two months out of the year. Males are in heat 365 days a year! Good luck on your new puppy!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
                            I have trained over 1000 labs through the years and have had awesome dogs of every color and sex. I have also trained lousy dogs of every color and sex. It really is a matter of preference. I tell my clients this when asked the same question..... Females are in heat two months out of the year. Males are in heat 365 days a year! Good luck on your new puppy!
                            Never heard it put that way but your exactly right!

Comment

Derby? I think your confusing the wrong breed, Labs don't race.

Comment

Working...
                              X