Baby Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Rabbits

Was painting my well house when I hear something very much like my predator call, screaming in the tall grass where the dogs were. I go over to investigate and find the dogs have gotten into a little Rabbit "nest". Dogs had already taken 3 out, but was able to grab these 2 fellas.

Kids just loved them.

I would have bottle fed them but was heading to my brothers in a few hours. So I did the best I could for them and relocated them and locked the dogs up.

When I returned home the next day, they were still looking good, checked again the next day, and they still were good.

They have since moved on (I hope).

Snapped a few photos of them and I don't care how tough a guy you are, only word you can describe them as is, CUTE
    Attached Files

Cute

Comment

Cute little boogers, but cottontails are very difficult to raise by hand. Hopefully momma found them and moved on.

Comment

First word came to my mind was "fried."

Comment

I have to agree they are some cute little fellas

Comment

Originally posted by park5115 View Post
            Cute little boogers, but cottontails are very difficult to raise by hand. Hopefully momma found them and moved on.
            Yeah was hoping the same, I moved them only about 20' from the place they were found because the dogs certainly were coming back to check on their tasty snack.

Funny thing my wife said after I told her the story. "Did you spank the dogs?" HAHA, I said no, why would I? It is in their nature to hunt. They are not making a decision to kill but rather following instinct. She just shook her head. lol

Comment

Originally posted by park5115 View Post
              Yes they are! We've raised 2 from about that size. Fed them kittens milk from an eye dropper for about 3 or 4 weeks. They are now 2 of the most spoiled rabbits ever! One sleeps on the back of the couch and the other on the coffee table. Each has its own personality and they are funny as heck to watch play. When they are happy they will jump straight up, twisting, turning and racing around. They are both potty trained which was easy to do.

Comment

How often did you have to feed them?

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                  First word came to my mind was "fried."
                  Haha, right!!

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                    Yes they are! We've raised 2 from about that size. Fed them kittens milk from an eye dropper for about 3 or 4 weeks. They are now 2 of the most spoiled rabbits ever! One sleeps on the back of the couch and the other on the coffee table. Each has its own personality and they are funny as heck to watch play. When they are happy they will jump straight up, twisting, turning and racing around. They are both potty trained which was easy to do.
                    That is awesome, makes me disappointed I wasn't able to keep them.

They don't chew the base boards and other wood in the house? I heard Rabbits are bad about that.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                      Interesting... I wish ours had turned out like that we adopted one about that same size after he survived a pitch fork jab by my dad thinking it was a rat in the grass. Just got skin and he survived did the same thing nursed him up with a dropper and then kept him for right at 8 months. He would bite the ever loving snot out of you. And wasn't scared of the cat either the cat would chase it around the house until cornered and then next thing you know the cat was being chased by the rabbit with cat hair in its mouth. Was really funny once the rabbit got big enough the cat couldn't get away. The dang thing would ambush the cat on the couch and then the fight was on. Ended up letting him go outside when we got tired of getting bit putting him back in the cage.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        Interesting... I wish ours had turned out like that we adopted one about that same size after he survived a pitch fork jab by my dad thinking it was a rat in the grass. Just got skin and he survived did the same thing nursed him up with a dropper and then kept him for right at 8 months. He would bite the ever loving snot out of you. And wasn't scared of the cat either the cat would chase it around the house until cornered and then next thing you know the cat was being chased by the rabbit with cat hair in its mouth. Was really funny once the rabbit got big enough the cat couldn't get away. The dang thing would ambush the cat on the couch and then the fight was on. Ended up letting him go outside when we got tired of getting bit putting him back in the cage.

Man I bet that was a sight to see watchin the rabbit whooping on the cat! Ours aren't scared of our 2 labs either and they appear to all have a truce between them which is pretty cool. We don't just turn em loose in the house when were not around. They stay in a 4 x 4 cage during the day. You do have to watch the little devils as they will chew on stuff if they ever get out of site ( had to replace the wireless receiver on the Xbox lol ). One of ours bit me one time, not hard enough to bring blood but a light flick to her ears got her attention and I think the lesson stuck .

Comment

Lil things

Comment

Working...
                          X