No announcement yet.

Just another rifle blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't get much done to the box today. Got the corner post on the box set. And top of frame set all the way around. Need to square up with some turn buckles and weld in place. Then weld some short 1"x1" angle bracing at 45 degrees so the corner post stay square. Then I can start the window and door framing after that. I slid it into the garage this evening. And will probably tig weld the tacks for the bracing in place. And then move it outside and use the wire welder to weld it out since it's so much faster to work with. Plus, in the garage, the neighbors and drive-bys don't know what I'm up to do-n . Wish I didn't live in a city!

Comment

You're pretty handy for a mini-van man

Comment

Most all the steel was transported inside a mini-van, in 10'+ lengths.
        I can't quite get 12' in it though. About 4" short,... like me.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-11-2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          And stair steps done except for paint. Pic is from the top end of steps. Rails are set at 25 degrees. OAL is 12 foot. Makes for an easy climb using the 1x1 for a hand rail. Steps are 12" apart.

[ATTACH]817842[/ATTACH]
          Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          If this somehow helps someone else, all the better.
          Just did. I like the C purlin steps supported by the main rail on the inside and the handrail on the outside. Great idea and no huge handrail sticking out.

Real nice work you're doing. Thanks for the post.

Comment

I've got some traction tape for the steps that will go on after paint. It works great! I built the same type of steps for my boat trailer to get in and out of the boat while it's on the trailer. Only I added an extended handrail at the top of it. Added the traction tape. And don't have to worry about slipping if the steps are wet. Incline is a little steeper due to lack of room and short distance to the top.

Comment

Progress has been slower than expected. Got the floor cross supports in and welded. And the frame roughed in with most of it welded. Working on cutting door parts, door frame, and window frames for the Deer View windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161013_154328 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	24466074

Name:	20161013_154352 - Copy.jpg
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	24466075

Name:	20161013_154414 - Copy.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	24466076

Comment

For a GOF you still got it

Great work

Comment

I think it will last!

Comment

Got the eves finished framing in on the box. Window openings tacked in place. And a little more primer on some more metal and the tower. Also got the skeleton for the door frame done. Gonna make the door jam next and weld on the henges. Then the door and jam will be ready to install. Flat brown or black paint on everything primer colored will come after that. Also picked up the siding and roof decking. Siding has a 50 year warranty on it. But don't think either of us will be around that long . Maybe my nephew will use it that long . Gonna lay a metal R-panel over the felted roof decking. Roof decking has also been sealed with some Bear Ultra 2 in 1. So it's gonna have a double roof. 3, if ya wanna count the inside insulation and ceiling paneling .

Comment

Forgot, the 3/4" CDX floor is cut, notched, and trimmed to fit. I wasn't gong to put it in till the box frame base gets paint on it. It just has primer now.

Comment

When you get ready to stand it up and test let me know and I'll swing by.

Comment

Thanks Razorback.

Got the door framed in. And everything welded out. Finishing primer. And adding paint to the box frame. Got to take a break from the heat at the moment. Then I'll be back after it in a little after some fluids (V-8 and iced tea). I'll get a new pic up later today.

Comment

Window frames and eves in.
                            [ATTACH]819702[/ATTACH]

This is a pic of the window frame made of 1-1/2"x 1-1/2" angle. Above it is a piece of 1"x1" angle. The top of the window frame is welded to the top edge of the angle on the inside to steady the window frame. And for support. The siding will attach to the 1"x1" angle on the outside and come down on top of the window frame. The bottom of the window frame is part of the box frame and made with 1"x1" square tube. So the sides and top of the 1-1/2" angle will have a 1/2" of over hang to the outside of the box. But will flush up when the siding is installed. I'll get a pic of the inside of the window frame a little later. And I could see where that ^^^ might be confusing .
                            [ATTACH]819703[/ATTACH]

Door and door jam with supports. Jam is made from 1-1/2" angle with the same principle applied, as I did with the windows. The door frame it's self is 1"x1" square tube. And sits just inside the angel/door jam.
                            [ATTACH]819704[/ATTACH]

Open seys-a-me.
                            [ATTACH]819705[/ATTACH]
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-18-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Applying a little bottom paint.

Name:	20161018_141743 - Copy.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	24466607

Comment

Nice work!!
                                That blind will be around a LONG time.

Comment

Working...