So I'm getting a headache.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm getting a headache.

I'm making an honest attempt to use the more advanced settings of my camera.

I'm trying to make this make sense in noob terms.

Higher ISO is for darker environments. Lower ISO is for brighter environments.

Faster shutter speeds are for faster pics, but there are some graining limitations of sharpness on both ends of the spectrum.

Is that correct?

You are correct - all three of those elements go into getting a proper exposure. If you Google "Understanding Exposure" you will find a bunch of tutorials on the subject. Somebody around here posted a link on this that I found very helpful but now I can't seem to find it - hopefully one of the experienced photogs will chime in.

Comment

Rob (Atthewall) posted a great exposure link at one time that I have somewhere but can't find right now. I know that when I go riding around the property the best I can do is have it close to where I think it needs to be and hope for the best because those opportunities come at me so quickly. It's all fun Travis, take it in stride, learn what you can and it will all come together for you.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm not going to give up this time!

Also for the canon users.

What is the main differences between modes: full auto, P, Tv, Av, M, A-Dep???

Comment

Understanding Exposure from Arlington Camera helped me understand a bit better.

I still need to get the book.

Comment

I'm hoping someone will chime in after me to give you a better and more complete answer.. but from what little I know... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Full Auto - You don't have to do a thing but allow time to focus and press the shutter button. The camera sets the rest like a point and shoot.
            P - No clue
            Tv - Shutter priority mode. You set the desired shutter speed and the camera does the rest.
            Av -Aperature priority mode - you set the desired aperature and the camera does the rest.
            M - All settings are manual. You can fully customise the shot
            A-Dep - no clue

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
            Thanks guys! I'm not going to give up this time!

Also for the canon users.

What is the main differences between modes: full auto, P, Tv, Av, M, A-Dep???

Comment

Grab the book man Also there are DVD's that get right to the point of advanced settings.
              Av lets you set the Fstop and ISO settings then the camera will set the shutter speed based on those two settings. You can experiment with this by turing the little wheel by the shutter button and while pointing the camera at the target you can watch the shutter speed change. Cranking up the ISO will increase the shutter speed at the same F stop setting.
              I use AV a lot and watch the shutter speed so I can be sure I can hold it steady when taking the picture. At dusk I increase the ISO, Open the F Stop from say 11 to 5.6 and the shutter speed usually lets me get away with a hand held shot.
              Best results I get with the XTi will be something like F16, ISO 100 to 200 and a slower shutter speed. Also change your focusing points to a single centered point opposed to 7 or whatever. This lets you precisely focus on an eye or something that needs to stand out. When you switch back to auto all of the focusing points come back to function OK.
              ISO is like changing the "film" from one that requires a lot of light to one that requires less light.
              The DVD is great to learn with.

Comment

OH! If you use the manual settings memorize the settings from the beginning. When done get the settings back in order or delete all the settings. Grabbing a camera to shoot a coyote out of the truck window at noon won't work too well with F22 ISO 1600 and a 3 second exposure.

Comment

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Best thing EVER. Helped me out big time and still helps me now. Really, get it. It is a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHunter View Post
                    I'm hoping someone will chime in after me to give you a better and more complete answer.. but from what little I know... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Full Auto - You don't have to do a thing but allow time to focus and press the shutter button. The camera sets the rest like a point and shoot.
                    P - No clue
                    Tv - Shutter priority mode. You set the desired shutter speed and the camera does the rest.
                    Av -Aperature priority mode - you set the desired aperature and the camera does the rest.
                    M - All settings are manual. You can fully customise the shot
                    A-Dep - no clue
                    P- Is Program mode-- Is like an advanced Auto mode. It allows you to use some of the other functions IE set iso, change drive mode, change focus points, control the flash, white balance, expos bracketing and it let you shoot in RAW.
                    Tv- Time value- Shutter priority mode. You set the desired shutter speed and the camera does the rest.
                    Av- Aperature value- Aperature priority mode - you set the desired aperature and the camera does the rest.

A-Dep- Auto Depth of Field Auto mode that tries to give you the most depth of field.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals!!!!

Comment

just reading that gave me a headache

Comment

Working...
                        X