What's your go-to saltwater reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    A week ago I asked my reel repair guy what he recommends.

He said to soak them in a bucket of fresh water overnight. Then open them up and take the spool out and use compressed air to blow them dry. Then reassemble.

I use Curados....including some from 1994.
    i rinse them off with fresh water after I disassemble, so don't usually soak...but re-oil/grease after washing and drying.

but I might try the above advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
      Just went to a lews tournament pro. All of the newer shimanos i have been getting turn to garbage pretty quick. The lews has been an excellent reel for me this winter!
      Yeah the newer Shimanos don't seem to hold up. I fish with some older Chronarchs and Curados. As far as cleaning goes, I spray them off with the waterhose and let them dry, then hit them with a little Blakemore Reel Magic. I've got reels that are 6+ years old still ticking with this cleaning method.

Comment

Spray them down and dry. Lube. Mine usually give out from boat abuse before the salt gets them

Comment

Man I have caught 40 inch Kings and Lings on a Shakespeare from Wal Mart on a Berkley catfish rod. LOL.

No joke.

I am a Penn guy. They look cool in my rocket launcher.

Comment

abu revo s

Comment

I am fishing with the H20 manic and mettles now. I really like them. I still have a shimano too, but I don't use it that much.

Comment

Old green and silver curados and citicas. I'd buy these used over anything out there new.

Comment

Shimano since '91 & prefer their Core model BUT the
                  Abu Revo MGX reel is very smooth too.

Comment

I have never had any problem out of my Chronarchs. I have a few curados also and the older ones have out lasted the newer ones. I just rinse them down with a garden hose when I get back from fishing and occasionally take them in to get serviced/cleaned during the winter.

Comment

All chronarchs here plus a castaic and the new curado which so far is my favorite reel it's unbelievably smooth.

Comment

Penn 9/0

Comment

I don't fish the salt near like I did growing up. Most of my saltwater fishing is now with a fly rod and I use hatch, nautilus and Ross . For years I have fished shimano. Growing up used stradics, curados and calcuttas. Now they don't seem to be as good or hold up as well. Going to look into a couple of lews baitcasters for this summer but can't decide on which model. The last 3 years I have used a pflueger spinning reel and really liked it for lighter line and soft plastics. It's getting a little rough now.
                          Last edited by docmay; 03-15-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Y'all all use the wrong reels... Pfluger supreme, president and machined trion.

Comment

I recommend doing a bearing overhaul with bocas on any reel. I also rub a little corrosionX on the inside of the sideplates, especially where any springs go into the sideplate.

Comment

Zebco 202

Comment

Working...
                                X