Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Curious what my fellow TBHers think. Was the shooter justified or step over the line?

https://globalnews.ca/video/4345864/...store-shooting
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Without knowing all of the details hard to say but based on what I saw it was a little on the marginal side to me.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

From what I read IMO the shooter went looking for trouble. Just because it is legal, doesn't make it ethical.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Im getting old so my days of standing toe to toe exchanging blows are over.

Without knowing the details the guy who came out of the store went looking for trouble and found it. We'll have to see how things unfold.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Without knowing all of the details hard to say but based on what I saw it was a little on the marginal side to me.

-john

I agree
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Outlaw_6
Ten Point

Hunt In: LA and "The H"
Default Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Senseless loss of life.

I donít think I would have pulled the trigger because it looked like to me the guy shot was beginning to walk away.

If it looked like he was coming towards me to beat my head into the ground, I may have a different reaction.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Incident was instigated by the shooter he bit off more than he could chew then shot someone over it. These laws are designed to protect the victims not the aggressors. If a grown man was in my wife's face id get involved also. Don't start nuthin won't be nothin. Based on the story they need to charge him.

Disclaimer: I don't have all the facts. Just based on what I read.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
txhunter007
Eight Point

I feel the shooter is wrong. Seems like an abuse of the stand your ground law.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

IMHO the sheriff is just being a coward and doesn't want his name tied to the case so he is passing the buck.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxKronik View Post
Incident was instigated by the shooter he bit off more than he could chew then shot someone over it. These laws are designed to protect the victims not the aggressors. If a grown man was in my wife's face id get involved also. Don't start nuthin won't be nothin. Based on the story they need to charge him.

Disclaimer: I don't have all the facts. Just based on what I read.

kronik by Diamond
I agree, other than a blind sided push,didnít see much of a threat and he looked to have had plenty of time to process, wasnít a pull and shoot from the hip, more like pull take careful aim and pow. Thatís what I get out of the video.

If he had that pistol to begin with, wth was he bitching about the parking spot. Pull the gun and tell them to move!!!
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
Senseless loss of life.

I don’t think I would have pulled the trigger because it looked like to me the guy shot was beginning to walk away.

If it looked like he was coming towards me to beat my head into the ground, I may have a different reaction.
I agree with this, also depends if the 47 year old was handicapped. Regardless it looked to me like the dude that shoved the other guy was backing off. On the other hand the guy that shoved should of been facing assault charges if he wouldn't of got lead poisoning. Ya the older guy was arguing with his GF however he wasn't going hands on that we know of.

All this is just opinion from what I saw in the video and reading the article.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Whole lot of information missing to form any conclusion.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #13
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Dont know all the details be he pushed the heck out of that dude. Dont put your hands on people is a good rule to live by.
Dirtymike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
systemnt
Pope & Young

If everyone acted like everyone had a gun, the world would be a whole lot more respectful.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Not justified IMO. When he pulled his weapon the dude backed off. This guy was looking for a reason to shoot someone.
Yes he got shoved to the ground. Big deal. He was yelling at the guys wife. Yes it's aggravating to see an ahole park in handicap with no permit. If you start schit over something this trivial you better realize it can easily come to this. The kids father is dead now over a parking spot.
Pick your battles. Being a parking lot monitor is not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
Pilgrim
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

So somebody pushes me because I’m running my mouth, I fall down on my butt and I kill someone for pushing me? The shooter should be in jail imo.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
jer_james
Ten Point

I also dont know the details, but I also dont believe that this incident should have led to a loss of life.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

I think the shooter instigated the confrontation by approaching and yelling at the woman in the car for parking in a handicap spot. The guy came outside to check on his wife and shoved the guy yelling at her. The shooter then shot the guy even when he was walking away. I don't see how this is stand your ground. Why isn't it stand your ground for the guy who comes out of the store and finds a guy approaching his wife in an aggressive manner. I guess we will learn more details and see what the courts do.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
catslayer
Pope & Young

Feels like a case of two wrongs don't make a right...

That dude went for his gun WAY too quick.there was 0 threat to him after he drew from what I saw.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #20
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
I think the shooter instigated the confrontation by approaching and yelling at the woman in the car for parking in a handicap spot. The guy came outside to check on his wife and shoved the guy yelling at her. The shooter then shot the guy even when he was walking away. I don't see how this is stand your ground. Why isn't it stand your ground for the guy who comes out of the store and finds a guy approaching his wife in an aggressive manner. I guess we will learn more details and see what the courts do.
well technically.. HE was the aggressor when he laid hands on the other guy. He picked a physical confrontation with someone that was armed.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
well technically.. HE was the aggressor when he laid hands on the other guy. He picked a physical confrontation with someone that was armed.
I agree. But I also don't think he was enough of a threat after the shove to deserve being shot. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Blame on both sides.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #22
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Dont know all the details be he pushed the heck out of that dude. Dont put your hands on people is a good rule to live by.
Totally agree. Keep your hands to yourself and you probably won't get shot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #23
xman59
Pope & Young

unless their is prior history of the two, i do not see it as justified, the shover did not appear to be going back for more, looked like he made his point and was backing off,,, also the shooter shot at least once more while the victim was obvious in full retreat,,, looks like unjustified shooting for sure after the first shot
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #24
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Based solely on the video, I am having a hard time finding self-defense.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #25
Clay C
Ten Point

Hard to say without knowing all of the context. If i'm standing there and someone comes in and pushes me, i'm automatically assuming the worst and am going to be prepared to fight or draw if I can.

In this case it looks like there was some sort of argument (which I would never stand there and take part in with a stranger in the first place. Not saying its a condemnation but it is certainly stupid), and it looks like the pusher did not escalate any further. It actually appears the shooter contemplated the shooting after hitting the ground.

As a poster said above, not putting your hands on someone unless it is self defense is a good rule to live by. The pusher clearly committed assault, but that doesn't mean the shooting is justified.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #26
systemnt
Pope & Young

Like i said..way too much info missing..
is there a history?
did shover say something like--goin to get my gun...I'm gonna kill you...etc etc..while walkin away?

Regardless, it was a senseless death.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

No,
individual not in fear of his life, just pushed down,(bullying like in schools)should of walked away,(of course) possibly the people in cars there if the man acted out of his mind, or was trying to hurt families.

Is he a homeless vet asking for money,unsure, need more
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #28
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Hard to say without knowing all of the context. If i'm standing there and someone comes in and pushes me, i'm automatically assuming the worst and am going to be prepared to fight or draw if I can.

In this case it looks like there was some sort of argument (which I would never stand there and take part in with a stranger in the first place. Not saying its a condemnation but it is certainly stupid), and it looks like the pusher did not escalate any further. It actually appears the shooter contemplated the shooting after hitting the ground.

As a poster said above, not putting your hands on someone unless it is self defense is a good rule to live by. The pusher clearly committed assault, but that doesn't mean the shooting is justified.
So out of curiosity what would you have done if someone was verbally raising hell to your wife or girlfriend in this situation?
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #29
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
Based solely on the video, I am having a hard time finding self-defense.
That's the issue. In Florida "stand your ground" is not the same as "self defense". As long as you state you were in fear of your life your good to go. If florida only had right to self defense law, he'd likely be in jail for murder.
The sheriff said he can't arrest him and "just because you can doesn't mean you should". He doesn't agree with the shoot but under the stand your ground law he can be held liable and sued for arresting him.
Also turns out the parking lot monitor has a history of yelling at people for parking there. I'll say it again...He was looking for a reason to shoot someone. Bad deal.

bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #30
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
is there a history?
did shover say something like--goin to get my gun...I'm gonna kill you...etc etc..while walkin away?

No he did not. He was inside the store while shooter was yelling at the girlfriend for being parked in a HC spot. Shooter had also been warned to knock off the rent a cop BS prior to this by the store owner according to reports.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
No he did not. He was inside the store while shooter was yelling at the girlfriend for being parked in a HC spot. Shooter had also been warned to knock off the rent a cop BS prior to this by the store owner according to reports.
I was talking about POST shove.
And it doesnt matter what storeowner told him - no relevance at all other than he should have been fired.

edit: should not have said 'no relevance'...it does offer some insite to his predisposition and tendencies..so it could be used to show he was lookin for a reason...

Last edited by systemnt; 07-23-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #32
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
So out of curiosity what would you have done if someone was verbally raising hell to your wife or girlfriend in this situation?
Get in between them and figure out what's going on. Most likely tell her to crawl over to the passenger seat, so I could keep myself between them while preparing to drive away. Escalating a situation into a fight or shootout is not protecting your girlfriend/spouse/kids. It is putting them in more danger. That should only happen when there is no other option.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #33
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

If someone shoving you, because you're a man yelling at a lady in a car, is cause for you to fear for your life...well, you may wanna stay home from now on. The shover stopped and put his hands in his pockets, doesn't look like he's trying to continue the confrontation. IMO, the shooter was looking for a reason to shoot someone, based solely on what you can see here. It's a freaking parking spot, no matter how aggravating it is to see able bodied people using a handicap space, it certainly doesn't warrant screaming at anyone. Goodness, what a crazy situation
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #34
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
I was talking about POST shove.
And it doesnt matter what storeowner told him - no relevance at all.
Maybe I did not say it properly. The dead was exiting the store and never approached his vehicle other than the push. His back was actually opposite of it.
In regards to to the shooter having previous history of starting S in the same location I would think would be relevant no?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #35
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
YEP!

Quote:
YEP!!

Quote:
is there a history?

Yep!

I think it was a senseless death but I don't think there is enough info to call it justified or not. Arguing with someone including your gf or wife, even yelling, is not justification to go up and blind side someone like that. It is assault and unacceptable. That probably doesn't justify the shooting but at the same time think of all the stories we have heard about it not stopping with a shove (the shover going and getting a gun, etc.). Just because he acts like he is retreating doesn't mean he is done and/or you don't have fear for your life.
People are crazy and I'm to the point where I assume everyone is crazy and willing/wanting to kill me. Especially after a blind sided shove like that. I'm also to the point where I'm not going to fight you anymore, I'm too old and you aren't worth the effort. If it gets to that point (including the shove) guns are coming out. With that said I can't see myself yelling at a woman for parking there.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Based on the video I saw, I think the shooter overreacted with the pull of the trigger and I am usually one to side with a shooter in a conceal carry defense situation..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #37
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Based on the video I saw, I think the shooter overreacted with the pull of the trigger and I am usually one to side with a shooter in a conceal carry defense situation..
He's either going to have a hell of an excuse like they guy threatened to kill him as he walked away...or it was like others are sayin..he was looking for a reason to pull the trigger...
the law will stand by him..based on how its written...
but civil court is going to eat this guy alive.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
That's the issue. In Florida "stand your ground" is not the same as "self defense". As long as you state you were in fear of your life your good to go. If florida only had right to self defense law, he'd likely be in jail for murder.
The sheriff said he can't arrest him and "just because you can doesn't mean you should". He doesn't agree with the shoot but under the stand your ground law he can be held liable and sued for arresting him.
Also turns out the parking lot monitor has a history of yelling at people for parking there. I'll say it again...He was looking for a reason to shoot someone. Bad deal.

Understand, and agree with both of your posts.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #39
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Based only off video, no.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #40
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter007 View Post
I feel the shooter is wrong. Seems like an abuse of the stand your ground law.
My first thought as well
Quote:
Yup

I am curious to know what was said by the shover. Did he shout out a threat of death?? He didn't walk away, just backed up a step. Maybe to charge again?? We may never know...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #41
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

A CHL holder has a RESPONSIBILITY to avoid confrontation, not instigate it. BECAUSE he was carrying a gun is reason enough to not instigate an argument (ie confronting somebody for parking in a handicap spot) that could potentially escalate into a physical confrontation.

IMO, the shooting was absolutely not justified, and would be a gross misapplication of the "stand your ground" defense. Death penalty is a harsh punishment for being shoved to the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #42
systemnt
Pope & Young

well ****... the guy apparently went and got himself banned at TBH at the very least
Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #43
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

As far as Florida law is concerned it was.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #44
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

A lot are assuming he started the shouting at the woman. For all we know he just said something and she blew up on him and he was just responding back. Same type of women that would do that would park in a handicap parking spot without needing it would do that. Point is social media shouldnít be commenting on stuff like this with partial information.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #45
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

As others have said not enough info to come up with conclusion. Based purely on video, I would say no, the guy pushed him but was no longer a threat as he was walking away.
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
RDT
Six Point

When Texas lawmakers passed the tx chl they felt it would create
a more polite society .
RDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #47
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
A CHL holder has a RESPONSIBILITY to avoid confrontation, not instigate it. BECAUSE he was carrying a gun is reason enough to not instigate an argument (ie confronting somebody for parking in a handicap spot) that could potentially escalate into a physical confrontation.

IMO, the shooting was absolutely not justified, and would be a gross misapplication of the "stand your ground" defense. Death penalty is a harsh punishment for being shoved to the ground.
That is my thoughts too.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #48
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Glad it isn't my decision to make. I **** sure wouldn't shoot someone in that situation.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #49
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I am just glad they are they same race, other wise there would be nation wide protests right now.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #50
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

IDK about that one, when he pulled the gun the guy shot started backing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
I am just glad they are they same race, other wise there would be nation wide protests right now.
Shooter is white, I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't blown up more.

Last edited by bossbowman; 07-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top