Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx
Default Tack Driving AR...

Budget of 2k for rifle only, glass is taken care of.

What AR would you buy. I want a tack driver. Would like 1/2 moa but will settle for 3/4" moa.

If you say build, what barrel, upper and lower.

Thanks
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I have one that shoots half inch groups from American resistance in nacogdoches. he builds top qualitystuff
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Larue is known for accuracy but I have no personal experience with them. There’s two in classifieds now.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Not sure of price for complete rifle,but if in budget JP Enterprises hands down. I have a few uppers & they are tack drivers.

Last edited by DUKFVR; 07-22-2018 at 09:05 PM.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag93 View Post
Larue is known for accuracy but I have no personal experience with them. Thereís two in classifieds now.
I have a LaRue, built on their Ultimate Upper package. Its sub MOA but I'm wanting a little better than that.
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I have had Larues and Noveskes. JP beat them if you can shoot that well.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

these are two groups both 3 shot groups with my American resistance 300blk at 100 yards with 110 grain barnes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by one66stang View Post
I have a LaRue, built on their Ultimate Upper package. Its sub MOA but I'm wanting a little better than that.
I feel like youíre going to have a hard time getting that little extra accuracy from an auto loader. You can find someone with a sub MOA ar15, build yours the same, and not get the same accuracy. Under MOA is just getting lucky.

A match grade barrel with a properly head spaced matching bolt would be a good start. But the results still wonít be ďguaranteedĒ.

The 223wylde chamber is supposed to be more accurate. Grendels seem to always perform, even the cheap ones. Ar15performance.com supposedly puts out some accurate stuff, but I have no personal experience.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
I feel like youíre going to have a hard time getting that little extra accuracy from an auto loader. You can find someone with a sub MOA ar15, build yours the same, and not get the same accuracy. Under MOA is just getting lucky.

A match grade barrel with a properly head spaced matching bolt would be a good start. But the results still wonít be ďguaranteedĒ.

The 223wylde chamber is supposed to be more accurate. Grendels seem to always perform, even the cheap ones. Ar15performance.com supposedly puts out some accurate stuff, but I have no personal experience.
I have a Grendel with an ar15 performance barrel and bolt. Itís a hammer. Iíd recommend them
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

I just bought a diamondback db-15 in 6.5 grendel and have only put about 25 rounds through it, and only 5 or so hornady sst. Sub moa 3 shot group. Heck I had a right at 1" group with wolf ammo at 100. That was just luck though lol. With a 100$ nikon scope and cmc trigger. Nothing special. I assume with more getting used to it the groups with shrink a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

I may get blasted for this... but I’ve seen some RRA shoot just as good and better than larues in 223 and 308.

Not saying there better quality but RRA generally are tack drivers. Of course the right loads help a lot.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #12
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

I had exactly what you’re looking for (sold it several months ago) , see my for sale ad

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=DTECH

Call Mike Milli at DTECH and listen to what he has to say. Mike has been building super accurate AR’s for a long time .... way before they were tacti-cool

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 07-22-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

My Areo Precision enhanced upper and 18" Odin Works barrel/bcg, in 6.5 will do 3/4 moa with hornady black.
I bet it could be better yet with a good hand load
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
ahlongslide
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

I’ve had good luck with LaRues, JP, PWS, RRA and LWRC. All easily sub moa with the right Ammo. I’ve always wanted to try a LMT.
Believe it or not the most accurate AR style gun I have is a LaRue UU predatAR 308. Sub .5” all day with factory Winchester match. So like some one else said sometimes it’s luck of the draw.
If one of the LaRues in the classifieds is a 556 tOBR and within your budget, I’d jump on it.
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #15
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

I put together a rifle using a RRA lower and and upper with a Douglas airguaged match .223 Barrel, (.223 chamber), 1 in 8 twist, and it is 1/2 moa with 77 gr. Nosler match hp. and RL 15. Took a little load development, but it's there.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #16
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
I may get blasted for this... but Iíve seen some RRA shoot just as good and better than larues in 223 and 308.

Not saying there better quality but RRA generally are tack drivers. Of course the right loads help a lot.
My RRA coyote special shoots better than I can with Hornady 55gr vmax. Itís my go to if critters need killing.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
My RRA coyote special shoots better than I can with Hornady 55gr vmax. Itís my go to if critters need killing.
Yep I have a coyote and a predator pursuit in 223 and a bull barrel 308. All shoot sub moa. If I had the time I know I could build up a load thatís better. I know the 55gr Hornady vmaxs in my coyote shoot 1/2 moa. Havenít messed with the preadotor much. The 308 I have a hand load for that I havenít finalized and itís in the 1/2 moa range. I didnít mess with that load because itís the same one I shoot in my bolt gun.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
Rem40x
Four Point

I would suggest trying to find a used les baer 6x45 .
Rem40x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #19
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep I have a coyote and a predator pursuit in 223 and a bull barrel 308. All shoot sub moa. If I had the time I know I could build up a load thatís better. I know the 55gr Hornady vmaxs in my coyote shoot 1/2 moa. Havenít messed with the preadotor much. The 308 I have a hand load for that I havenít finalized and itís in the 1/2 moa range. I didnít mess with that load because itís the same one I shoot in my bolt gun.
I say that to say you donít have to break the bank to get a decent shooting rifle.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #20
lbbf
Ten Point

I've built 2 Ar's that will hold less than 1/2" all day IF I do my part. 1st 223 Wylde 20" varmint barrel from Rock River. This thing shoots everything I put through it well.

2nd 6.5 Grendel. 24" Krieger heavy barrel. Very picky. Won't shoot any factory ammo worth crap but will put 123gr ELD with 29gr CFE223 under 1/2".
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #21
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Quote:
I say that to say you donít have to break the bank to get a decent shooting rifle.
Yep, course mine wasnít an $800 AR but it definitely fits. In he OP budget with a lot of room left.

I donít remember who it was on here but back in the days of the AR debates, someone told me my RRA was a bottom level gun that I spent way too much on and their baseline Colt you could buy at walmart was far superior.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Walker
Ten Point

Heck, Ive got a cheap DPMS the shoots moa and an Alexander Arms Grendel that does the same.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #23
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbuster1985 View Post

This has been my experience too. ARs are not bolt guns. My most accurate semi-auto is a $500 Palmetto State, and that includes AR Precision and LaRue. I know if I got four more PSAs I probably wouldn't get that again, either.

In my opinion if you're seeing MOA from an AR, you're doing well enough. Besides, in the time it takes to get back on target with that level of precision you could have cycled a bolt.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #24
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Another vote for AR15 performance barrel and bolt (6.8 spc), 1/2 inch gun all day with factory ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I have a Grendel with an ar15 performance barrel and bolt. Itís a hammer. Iíd recommend them
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #25
RedRaider323
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

I'd build in the .224 Valkyrie if you are building a paper gun or for small varmit. Thing shoots like a laser beam. I've got the savage model, and it is sub moa all day from the factory.
RedRaider323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #26
Wellborn Papa
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

Use ARPerformance for the barrel in 6.5 Grendel for barrel longer than 16" or 6.8 SPC for 16" or shorter.
Wellborn Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #27
catslayer
Pope & Young

http://rhinorifles.com/rifle-models/

Only AR I've ever seen with a 1/2 inch garentee... If it don't shoot send it back

$250 over your budget... But if you want that last bit here is your baby
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

My RRA Varmint A4 in .223 shoots all factory ammo well. Bull barrel makes it heavy but I weigh 285 so I tell my wife it is made like me!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #29
blaqkpanda
Four Point

this is at 200 yards (5/8 MOA)
204 Ruger
Aero enhanced upper, standard Aero lower
26" White Oak Armament Barrel
blaqkpanda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Standard size/weight AR-15 using AR Performance 6.8SPC upper and Timney drop in trigger. First time out with it, 3/8" 5 shot group @ 100 yds using Hornady premium 120 gr. The one shot that is top/center of bull's eye is last zero shot, then shot the 5 shot group... I was flabbergasted! I'm a bolt gun guy, but I bought this gun because the guy swore it would do sub-moa with this ammo... told me to bring it back if I didn't like it... Right now today, if I were to grab a gun to go deer/hog or other similar size animal hunting, I'd grab this sucker over my heavy bolt guns in a heartbeat. Had it several years, but it was $1,600.00 delivered to my hands.
Attached Images

SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #31
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Les Baer (?)
http://www.lesbaer.com/223varmint.html

Last edited by Brute Killer; 07-24-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added link
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #32
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
I may get blasted for this... but I’ve seen some RRA shoot just as good and better than larues in 223 and 308.

I’d agree...

Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #33
sendit
Ten Point

I bought a Sabre Defence AR15 varminter before they went belly up. Mine is a bone stock 223 and will shoot with the best of any make. It prints in the .2's on good days and does .5's 10 shot strings with boring monotony @ 100yds. Holds .5 moa out to 400yds with 5 shot groups.

Five 10 shot groups

@ 400yds with handloads.

You may be able to find a used SDI if you look around. They were/are known for their great quality barrels.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #34
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco & Burleson County

My Colt CAR-A3 HBAR Elite shoots .5 moa with American Eagle AR .223 55gr ammo AND that’s with me behind it (which ain’t saying much). No doubt someone with better skills than I can do better.
lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top