Pads but not rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pads but not rotors?

2013 Chrysler minivan brakes are getting loud. Can I do pads without doing rotors? Any reason to use the OEM ceramic pads instead of regular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pads but not rotors?

I normally just do pads unless there are groves in the rotor . I like the cheap pads the most . They might wear out faster but seems to let the rotor last longer. Last set I did I did rotors too . They were only like 28 bucks each .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Miles? In my opinion if the rest looks and feels good i would have no problem just changing pads. Ive done it on almost every truck i have owned with no issues but if your wife drives like mine i might consider resurfacing or swapping rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of course. Check that the rotors aren’t scored although they probably are if you’ve been driving around with it making noise for a while. If they are scored, take your rotors and get them turned at oreilys or your auto parts store of choice. $15/ rotor to be turned. It’s a minivan, not a high end performance vehicle, use the parts store pads.

Comment

Pads only, rotors should last a while before needing turned.

Comment

i have been working in an auto parts store for about 18 months now,,,, if your rotors look good they probably are,,, with brake pads you actually get what you pay for,, cheap pads are organic material, stop quickly but create a lot of dust and wear down very fast compared to semi metallic or ceramic,,,, semi metallic last a pretty good while but tend to squeak and squeal more than others, also tend to be harder on rotors, being metal on metal to start with,,,, ceramic pads tend to be the quietest, and longest lasting with the least amount of dust,,, but they are the most expensive.... if your keeping the vehicle save money by doing it right the best time with the best materials,instead of doing it twice or even 3 times,, if your going to sell it put the cheap ones on it,,,,

Comment

Stay with ceramic pads. Wagner makes good ones.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Turning rotors too often makes them thin and overheat easier causing them to warp.
                Even with grooves, you're still okay. More grooves = more surface area = better stopping.

Trailboss

Comment

You should turn your rotors each time you replace your brake pads. They need to seat with each other. That’s the proper way to do it.

Comment

When you apply your brake does it feel like the pedal is pulsating or feel your steering jerk a little. If you feel any of this then yes turn or replace if not your most likely good and I wouldn't worry about small groves they are normal if you drive down any dirt/gravel roads.

Comment

Yep pads only. Unless you are too late changing pads and have damage. Also make sure to apply grease on the bushings the bolt go through so they dont hang up and destroy things.

Comment

Looks like I've got a weeknight project, lol. Thankfully the heat's supposed to break today. 90's this week instead of 105.

Comment

TBH PSA- Not applicable to the ops situation, but for "most" of us who drive trucks and tow, DO NOT use Ceramic Pads. Ceramic does not grip the rotor near as well for stopping heavy loads. Sure, they last longer because of it, but if you need to stop a heavy load faster, go with a quality semi-metallic.

Comment

That was one of the easiest car repairs I've ever done. From the time I left to go to the store to the beginning of the test drive was about 1 hour 15 minutes. Inside pad on the passenger side was down to the wear strip, but rotors were still OK.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                              You should turn your rotors each time you replace your brake pads. They need to seat with each other. That’s the proper way to do it.
                              No. Absolutely not. You are wrong. Don't do that. That is an improper suggestion.

How many ways to say "No"

Comment

Working...
                              X