How Do You Age Bucks on the Hoof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Age Bucks on the Hoof?

From the CKWRI Deer Research Program this is a very interesting analysis of the deer characteristics that a lot of us use to tell us something about the age of bucks.

(Or how on earth do you age bucks at all?)

Best way to age a buck is to throw a couple of pictures up on TBH and guess who’s right after all the responses that will range anywhere from 2.5 to 9.5. Or sometimes you go with the most popular TBH response, ‘Hard to tell from the angle in that pic.’, and just kill the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Count the points divide by two and add one should get ya pretty close unless he is one of them non typicals.

Comment

After i shoot it i look at the jaw!

Comment

Count the legs, divide by 4, add 6 months for each deer in group. then get the opinion/guess of everyone on the World Wide Web.

Comment

I can tell you exactly how old or young my Texas deer are.
            Red tags are 11 1/2
            White tags left ear are 10 1/2
            White tag right ear are 9 1/2
            Etc. Etc etc.
            I mean "Duh"!!!!!!

Comment

Best way is to send an incisor to deerage.com and you'll be right about 65% of the time.

Comment

Most of our deer stay in there same age groups. So our 3 year olds very rarely play with the 4 year deer and so on. Then you can tell by there color the darker the older.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                  I can tell you exactly how old or young my Texas deer are.
                  Red tags are 11 1/2
                  White tags left ear are 10 1/2
                  White tag right ear are 9 1/2

Etc. Etc etc.
                  I mean "Duh"!!!!!!
                  Facing you or going away?
                  Duh

Comment

For the most part I rely on trail cam pics from year to year, from time to time a stranger will show up and then it’s just a personal call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I alway count points then divide that number in to the yards he will get to feeder then subtract the hour of day.

Exsample. 75 yards divide by 10 points =7.5 subtract 6 am = 1.5 years old

Comment

Rob Hall, the biologist for the Faith Ranch told me while he was here at the lodge "you can't age one within two years in the wild".

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                          I alway count points then divide that number in to the yards he will get to feeder then subtract the hour of day.

Exsample. 75 yards divide by 10 points =7.5 subtract 6 am = 1.5 years old

Comment

Interesting read. Its a crap shoot at best. Keep it simple, young, teenager, all growed up.

Comment

Juvenile, Adult, Mature, and Old as dirt. Subjective ESTIMATE based on area, range conditions, breeding stress, quality of native forage, and lots of other factors.

If you like the looks of the deer in your crosshairs, ‘Choot Em!

Comment

Working...
                              X