No announcement yet.

Tilapia in a bass pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had Overton's deliver Tilapia the last three years........150#'s for my 5 acre pond . They spawn ~ every 30 days and take the pressure off the Bluegill. My bass love them and the Tilapia keep the algae eaten up.

Last edited by Tbar; 05-24-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowman View Post
      Overton Fisheries in Buffalo
      This is who I've been talking to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
        I have had Overton's deliver Tilapia the last three years........150#'s for my 5 acre pond . They spawn ~ every 30 days and take the pressure off the Bluegill. My bass love them and the Tilapia keep the algae eaten up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_hght_pz0Y
        If you don't mind me asking what does this cost you approx?

Comment

I have not moved to Tilapia yet but I get my bass and fat heads from Overtons

Comment

I am not sure how ours survive the cold. Our lake is only 7-8 ft deep. Each year I noticed les and less of a die off. I can only assume the really big mature ones are harder. As mentioned I can see them being an issue if you dont have a healthy bass/predator pre established population.

Comment

We also purchased from Overton

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                If you don't mind me asking what does this cost you approx?

Comment

Holy crap that’s a lot of tilapia for 5 acres lol. I do my method I described above, and there will be thousands of tilapia lining the banks getting sun in the mornings. I can’t imagine how many you have at the end of the summer in your pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have an algae problem they can be a great solution. They eat FA, filamentous algae, which carp won't eat and reproduce to feed bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                      Holy crap that’s a lot of tilapia for 5 acres lol. I do my method I described above, and there will be thousands of tilapia lining the banks getting sun in the mornings. I can’t imagine how many you have at the end of the summer in your pond

The stocking rate was determined based on an electrocuting survey. I have a very high predator environment thus the initial stocking of Tilapia and their sire have a lower chance of survival.

Comment

The stocking rate was determined based on an electrocuting survey. I have a very high predator environment thus the initial stocking of Tilapia and their sire have a lower chance of survival.

Well you have very nice fish, so obviously what you’re doing works!

Comment

Electrocuting = Electrofishing.

Comment

Tilapia in a bass pond

Well we got them in, they were pretty good size for what I was thinking. BTW this is in NE TX so there’s little to no chance they survive a winter.

Comment

Nice looking pond and fish......!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bswift355 View Post
                                [ATTACH]909074[/ATTACH]
                                what did you use for bait?

Comment

Working...
                                X