No announcement yet.

Hunting Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started keeping a similar log the last couple seasons covering most everything you have said other than the barometric pressure. Lots of knowledge can be gathered for sure from just a small amount of time put into just logging what is going on.

Great pick up on your part figuring out the wind shifts and it makes perfectly clear sense thinking about it now. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
      I just finished listening and man there was some great info in there! He definitely believes in the day or two after a switch in the wind direction, and high pressure. I really liked how he broke the season down into the 13 different phases. I was shaking my head in agreement through most of the interview. I didn't see the correlation between deer movement and the moon phase in my records like he did, but I know he has way more data to go off of than me. He is the first person I have heard talk about the hunting being the best during and around a full moon. You usually hear people say the opposite. The man really knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing that!
      Yessir! I've listened to that particular episode at least 5 times since I found it and will probably hear it another 5times in the next two weeks.

Comment

Cool... I "hunt" when I can, I think it's great info and sound research with proven results. I know I've spent countless hours with not a hair seen but being there always better than not, can't kill anything if your not putting in the hours in the field. Dream of retirement, and hunting everyday an entire season. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
          Cool... I "hunt" when I can, I think it's great info and sound research with proven results. I know I've spent countless hours with not a hair seen but being there always better than not, can't kill anything if your not putting in the hours in the field. Dream of retirement, and hunting everyday an entire season. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't think the OP is suggesting you should stay home when conditions don't align. It's kind of like a guy may only be able to handle a handful of daylight to dark sits in a year. If you're going to go that route in E. Tx based on recorded info; try and pick a day towards the end of October, with cool temps, when the wind is supposed to shift and the barometer is 30.15-30.25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            I don't think the OP is suggesting you should stay home when conditions don't align. It's kind of like a guy may only be able to handle a handful of daylight to dark sits in a year. If you're going to go that route in E. Tx based on recorded info; try and pick a day towards the end of October, with cool temps, when the wind is supposed to shift and the barometer is 30.15-30.25.

How can you tell this in advanced? Say those days fall into the normal work week, how can you request time off in advanced?

I know the few days where I have seen the most chasing of the rut here in northern Texas, so I'm planning to take about 5 days to cover that.

By the way, great post OP! This is great stuff. I hunt lots of public land and need to start recording my data as well.

Comment

This is some good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                How can you tell this in advanced? Say those days fall into the normal work week, how can you request time off in advanced?

I know the few days where I have seen the most chasing of the rut here in northern Texas, so I'm planning to take about 5 days to cover that.

By the way, great post OP! This is great stuff. I hunt lots of public land and need to start recording my data as well.

I don't know that you can plan far enough in advance to take off. I try and check the weather the night before and the morning of every hunt. If it looks like conditions will be right, I pack a lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                  I don't know that you can plan far enough in advance to take off. I try and check the weather the night before and the morning of every hunt. If it looks like conditions will be right, I pack a lunch.

Good thoughts. I will be taking 5 days in early November for 5 all day sits.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

Wake up, check the conditions and if they look good tell your boss you have bad **** glaucoma that day.
                    Last edited by AgHntr10; 09-14-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      Wake up, check the conditions and if they look good tell you boss you have bad **** glaucoma that day.

[emoji23][emoji23] my bosses know dang well what I'm doing

Last edited by SFAbowhunter; 09-14-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I've noticed the same on wind, the first south wind after several days of north is almost always a day that bucks will be out. I noticed because a buck I was after all last year was showing up on a south wind after a cold front to a spot that is only huntable with a north wind.

Comment

Excellent thread. Note the pattern of big deer getting vulnerable on a significant wind chance. i wrote a post about the Corner Effect and how big deer had to change their position when the wind changed. great info sir.

Comment

You guys kill me. In a good way! When people ask me my "hobbies" I have always said "hunting, fishing, and football". Hunting has definitely become a clear cut #1 as I've gotten older. Therefore, I consider myself a "hunter". It has become obvious to me that I am a "whiskey drinker" that likes to look at deer. LOL You guys are true "hunters" and I enjoy the heck out of reading these posts. Y'all kill some mighty impressive deer where it is NOT easy to kill 'em. I will continue to "hunt" vicariously through y'alls posts. Love 'em.

Comment

Thank you for this very interesting information. Someone's literally doing their homework. Good job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally a post about hunting. Great info.

Comment

Working...
                                X