Laguna Atascosa NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
    yes, i went two years ago on the archery hunt.
    happy to chat about it if you want some insights

i saw 28 nilgai, had 12 in rifle range, 6 in bow range, and was only able to fire 2 arrows. didn't come home with any though.
    one i missed at 8 yards in a ton of brush with a bang bang kind of shot and the other i hit in the top of her shoulder and it deflected up and away. she was walking down a bank and so when she ducked the arrow it created a weird shot angle. it skimmed her and did not penetrate the hide

a better hunter would have landed her
    Would love to chat about the hunt. I'll pm you my cell.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Txpepper View Post
      My group got drawn for the same hunt.
      Awesome! We should look at creating a group text!

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
        Awesome! We should look at creating a group text!

I’m
        In for that also going at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went last year, it was awesome! Drew again this year for the December hunt.

Bring binos and lots of water.

Comment

Anyone get drawn for late season rifle? I drew 1/18-20. Will be camping out and hunting single - looking for a group to connect with....

Comment

I hunted there last year and got within bow range with 2 bulls and 2 cows, cows within 5 yards and couldn't draw w/o spooking, they ended up getting spooked and throw an arrow at one grazing the lower chest, I was off about 5 yards on ranging her.

Comment

The 2 Bulls were within 10 yards but came from behind us and wasn't prepared to make a shot in that direction.

Comment

they are some big suckers

Comment

See y'all out there 11/30

Comment

Save one for me, we don't head out till the following weekend. I'm sure they will be nice and stirred up by then, lol

Question, I've never been out there before. Do they have a certain time each morning that they open the gate or allow you in and do they have a set time you have to make it out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We would show up an hour before sunrise and the gate was always open. You do have to be punctual on your exit. Sundown and you should be getting in your truck and driving out. They’ll give you a number to call if you know your not going to make it out in time or you need help with something.

Comment

When I got back to my truck last night it was later than normal cause I had to haul my stuff out as well and I had to make several rest moments... I had a message from the folks asking if I was gonna get my deer out of cold storage...mine was the last one left.

Think I saw a sign on the check station gate that said it opens at 05:30 in the mornings.

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you need to be out by 8:30 pm or let them know if you are gonna be late. I was in unit 1, they didn't have a gate.

However, at night local law will make the rounds and let the staff/volunteers know when all vehicles have left and they can close up for the night.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                                Then they should spell that out. I dont assume anything.
                                You do realize that's the law for consideration of a motor vehicle on the roadway in Texas, correct?

Non motororized is clearly stated " No motorized carts, wagons or bikes" allowed on the refuge. You simply twisted words at that point. I would think they wouldn't state the carts and wagon with the bikes if it was a rule for the texas state law on roadway motorization of a vehicle. You sir were in deed in violation.

Comment

Working...
                                X