Food Plots not growing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plots not growing.

I'm tired of historically not having any rain in my area NE Texas this time of year. I'm looking for something that I cant plant in the spring that will still be good in the fall and winter for deer. Any ideas?

Patience. It will come up. Early season food plots in time for the Texas Bow Opener is a rarity.

Comment

Alfalfa...but its hard to grow.

I'm with Brandon. Just feed the heck out of them until the plots come up. Rain will come in October.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Alfalfa...but its hard to grow.

I'm with Brandon. Just feed the heck out of them until the plots come up. Rain will come in October.

Exactly, there's a reason why I don't plant until after the opener....

Comment

It has been a tough year for food plotting here in NE Texas Harrison Co. It started raining in Feb. and did not stop till June 1. Flooding made it hard to get all the food plots going. And since June the 1st not even 1/8 of an inch of rain @ my place. But since you have asked what food plot plants will carry you over into Bow season, I can tell you this yr has been a combination of Iron clay peas mixed with Sunn Hemp, the deer have been in that plot hard and heavy. And also EB Soybeans have the bean pods that the deer will feed on in late Oct and Nov. I don't know of anything that will go from spring through all winter. Uncle fish may be right about the alfalfa, I have not tried it because it can be tough to grow here in E Texas due to acidic soils. Hope this helps.

Comment

You can plant a summer crop of iron clay peas or soy beans. Like they said above, don't plant your winter plots until mid-late October. Late season is when the majority of the plot will see use if you have any acorns in the area

Comment

Working...
            X