Questions before signing lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions before signing lease?

Other than the usual questions, what question(s) do you always ask before signing a hunting lease?

Maybe it's a question that in hindsight you wish you'd asked.

I'm fortunate to have 30 years on one place with a hand shake. From what I've read on here over the years there could be a long list of questions.
    I'd focus a lot on the expectations
    Exactly what is required of you and what if any consequences might be if you fail at one or more of them. Example, apparently on some leases they have " work weekends". What if you miss this weekend? Some want you to buy feed. What if you are not interested in feed?

Comment

When I began to run leases I believed that it really mattered down to the detail what was included in the lease, but experience has taught me that the land owner holds all of the cards and can terminate that agreement at will pretty much. Just cover the usual template and that will be sufficient.

Comment

Is this place for sale or expected to be for sale in the near future?

Comment

Make sure they don't sell day hunts also or give permission to the cousin of a brother in law to hunt the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
            or give permission to the cousin of a brother in law to hunt the land.
            I was going to say this as well - make sure your hunting rights are exclusive. Some landowners assume their family will continue to hunt the place whenever they feel like it. I got cross-ways with a landowner about this once. I inquired as to why his nephews were hunting when we weren't there and he acted like I was an idiot for asking - the idea that we were paying for exclusive rights was ridiculous in his view.

Comment

Is it or will it be for sale?
              Who all will have access to and use the property?

Comment

Exclusive rights clause.

Permanent structures versus temporary structures. Generally, a fence is considered a permanent structure and cannot be removed - even if you put it up. I got my landowner to give me an extended lease if I put up a foot plot pen.

Right to notify - the landowner (who is an absentee owner) shall not be denied access to the property but they have a responsibility to provide us with 12 hours notice. My explanation was this was for safety reasons because we did not want to be actively hunting if they entered the property.

Since my landowner is also an absentee owner, the game warden suggestion I get a signed affidavit to allow me to prosecute trespassers. I've never heard of this before but apparently only the land owner can press charges and if they are not there the GW cannot hold a trespasser. By giving me this authority, I can press charges immediately.

Comment

#of hunters, guest policy, tag limits

Comment

Do you plan to hunt my stand when I’m not here?
                    Do you plan to run a chainsaw by my feeder?

Do you plan on burning brush 20 yds from my feeder during the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good info already. Some things I had not thought of.

Comment

Do you allow Jeeps?

Comment

bump

Comment

Will ranch hands be shooting pigs or coyotes while tending to the cattle . Sounds silly but well its not really hunting to them , its protecting the calves and fields .

So think about bow season your in the stand and they are out popping shots at a pig with a 223 ..

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                              X