Successful Hunt Colorado Bend SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got drawn for an Either Sex Gun hunt. First in 15 years. Hunt was this past Wednesday to Friday. Went with my son (79F250), my FIL and a buddy. Special hunt with 3 generations together.

We got assigned to compartment 1. I will say after talking to other hunters 1 is the compartment you want if ever there. It had a prescribed burn in the past and is a little more open than the other areas. Staff took us on a quick tour of our area and let us loose. I hunted one of their wire circle blinds and the others all set up pop ups. After brushing in my blind and throwing out corn I moved the truck down the trail a ways and when I walked back to blind there was already a small 8 eating the corn. It paid me no attention even as I setup my chair and unzipped my gun bag. It eventually walked within 15 yds of my blind as it left. Much different than the super spooky deer at Twin Buttes. About an hour after settling in had a real nice 10pt show and started eating my corn. Was always facing towards me and wouldn’t present a shot. It then decided it had enough to eat and quickly trotted off with no good opportunity for a shot. I wasn’t worried. I still had a couple more days for him to return or so I thought. Had a couple more bucks come in but they weren’t as nice as the 10 so gave them a pass. About 5:45 I hear a shot and hit that I knew was my son. I’ll let him tell that part. FIL saw a few small bucks and several doe and buddy saw several small bucks.

Next morning had a few small bucks and then had a doe come in pretty close and a nice 11 point with a split g2 that was following her. Doe busted me while I was trying to get gun on buck and both split. That evening just saw a few small bucks and a doe off in the distance. My FIL connected on an 8 he was thrilled with it. Might not be a giant but at 78 yrs old it is actually his biggest buck. He was smiling like a little kid.

Friday morning and can’t believe hunt is almost over. Buddy has a nice 6.5 yr old 8 that he takes early in morning. Now I’m only one to not connect on one. It’s starting to look like brown it’s down time. Not seeing anything and finally a nice 8 shows up but he just won’t present a shot and then like the first buck just decides he’s had enough corn and quickly trots off. Almost every buck did the same. About 9 my son walks over to me and we do a little walking to see if we can rattle up a buck. We see a nice buck in the distance and try to head him off but he disappears. I set up and my son tries some rattling to see if we can coax him back. We sit there for several minutes and just when we decide to get up and move on I turn around and a buck is coming in from behind. He sees us and trots off. Was still fun as it was the first buck I’ve ever seen rattled in personally. Didn’t see any other deer and called it a day and checked out. Didn’t get my deer but it was still a very enjoyable hunt. Great time spent with a friend and with my son and FIL. Hopefully can get drawn again in less than 15 years.

You had a great hunt and that picture says it all. Got to spend time with family in a new place.

Comment

Well that's a shame you didnt get one but sounds like a good trip with family and friends.....cant really beat that.

Comment

Sorry you didn’t score, but sounds like a good time was had.

Comment

Lots of deer out there... And they have more natural food to eat than ever right now.

Great you saw plenty of deer each hunt. Did other hunters get any big bucks? I'm guessing someone will get one over 150" pretty easy this year out there.

You didn't happen to show up in a motorhome Tuesday did you?

Comment

Thanks for the story. Sounds like fun!!

Comment

I had a buddy there hunting solo. Would have been in black Chevy and camping out. He tagged an 8

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I had a buddy there hunting solo. Would have been in black Chevy and camping out. He tagged an 8

If it was an older Chevy then we talked to him for awhile

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Lots of deer out there... And they have more natural food to eat than ever right now.

Great you saw plenty of deer each hunt. Did other hunters get any big bucks? I'm guessing someone will get one over 150" pretty easy this year out there.

I wouldn’t say motorhome but we were in a travel trailer

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
                      If it was an older Chevy then we talked to him for awhile

I wouldn’t say motorhome but we were in a travel trailer
                      Yea. I think hes hovering on the 300,000 mile mark on a 98 model

Comment

Did anyone see any aoudads there?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Yes that was my buddy’s Trailer we stayed in. We got there about 9:30 Tuesday night.

Didn’t see anyone with any real big bucks but I didn’t see them all. My FIL buck field dressed at 100 lbs and was the heaviest at that time.
                          Last edited by Mjjust; 11-17-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                            Did anyone see any aoudads there?

I was expecting to see some but didn’t hear of anyone seeing any

Comment

Well I’m sure y’all want to hear my story. After being shown around the area and getting my papa all set up and ready to go. My dad and me headed for the spot we picked out for me. (There was 4 of us and it seemed like my dad marked 40 different spots on his map app, so it took some time for us to figure out where we wanted to sit.) I ended up choosing right across from headquarters where they had a wire cage set up. Their blind was set up in the middle of the clearing so set my pop up under some cedar trees. Yellow star is where I set up and red pin is headquarters.

I started to brush my blind in while my dad threw corn out. Once he got the corn out he took off to his spot to set up while I finished brushing my in. After I finished brushing my blind in I crawled inside which was 2:31 I loaded my gun, got my Binoculars out, and set up my shooting stick. Then I look up and there’s a wide 9 point 30 yards in front of me. I looked at the time and it was 2:34. I couldn’t believe I already have a nice buck in front of me my first 3 minutes of sitting down. This is him

I thought about shooting, but just couldn’t get myself to do it the first 3 minutes of my hunt. He fed on corn for about 10 minutes then stuck his nose to the ground and took off to find him a doe. I didn’t see another deer till 5 and it was a decent 8 but I wanted something bigger.

Then like my dad said about 5:45 I catch a glimpse of a deer. I throw up my binos and all I see is points everywhere. I tell myself that buck is huge. I quickly put the binos down and grab my rifle. Just about the time I get the cross hairs on him he steps behind a bush. I’m thinking dangit he’s leaving. I stare at that bush which seems like an eternity and then I see him walk back out. I already know in my mind I’m taking this deer so I don’t even look at his antlers when he comes back out, I’m just focused on his vitals. I take a few deep breaths settle the cross hairs and squeeze the trigger. I see him drop but I quickly reload and get back on him just Incase he tries to get back up. He never does and after 10 minutes I get out to go look at him. I get up to him and start counting. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 wow I just shot a 12 point. He did have some ground shrinkage but I was tickled to death with him. I couldn’t wait for my dad to pull up in the truck to tell him I shot a 12 pointer. He finally pulled up and asked if I shot and I said yep shot a 12 pointer. His eyes light up and he says a 12 pointer where is he. I show him and we high fived then I gutted him and took off to get my papa.

The next morning I saw a young 8 the same 9 point and same 8 as the night before. It was close to 9 o’clock and even though I could only shoot a doe or a spike I decided to rattle some just to see what happens. I rattled for about 20-30 seconds then set there and waited. About 5 minutes later I see a young basket rack 8. He’s walking through fast like he’s searching for those “bucks” that we’re fighting. Just as he’s about to disappear in the brush I rattle again. He throws his head up turns around and starts running straight at me. So I stop and so does he. He looks down and is like oh look corn. He starts eating corn for a few seconds then goes back to searching for those “bucks”. He left and I waited a few minutes then rattled again to see if I could bring in another buck. I hit them antlers together and within seconds here is that same buck running full speed into the clearing. He circled me 3 times trying to figure out where those “bucks” are. He left and again waited for a few minutes then rattled again. And low and behold the same back comes charging in. This time I just continue to rattle and he comes within 5 yards of my pop up. Poor guy was so confused, he couldn’t figure out why my popup sounded like 2 bucks fighting. The rest of the morning was uneventful.
                              That evening I decided I wanted to sit in a different spot in hopes to see a doe. My papa set where I had been sitting and about an hour into the evening hunt I hear a shot that was really close. So I knew it was either my dad or papa. The rest of the evening was very slow for me. I saw one buck for about 5 seconds then after shooting light 2 doe came in. We went to get my papa and I couldn’t wait to see what he shot. A very nice 8. He said he got all kinds of excited when he saw that buck step out of the brush. The next morning my papa slept in and the 3 of us went out. We were hearing tons of shots and I kept thinking any minute now I’ll see something. Which I did but it was just a coyote and for some reason they said don’t shoot coyotes. About 9 o’clock I texted my dad and asked if he wanted to try and do some spot and stalk and he said sure can’t be any worse than right now as he hadn’t seen a deer in awhile. And well y’all know the rest of this story.
                              I was bummed for my dad as I really wanted him to get a good buck too but for whatever reason it just wasn’t meant to be. I had a blast getting to spend time with my dad, papa, and a buddy. I almost shed a tear when we pulled out of the gate to head back to our everyday lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X