Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tub to shower convertion... the cost

Anyone done one?
    My house was built in 68' and slowly I'm trying to hit each room. My wife wants to convert the tub to a shower but I have no idea what the cost would be. Yes, I'd be paying someone because the "fix it" gene skipped a generation here. Thanks

Check references.
    Get several quotes.
    Dont go with the cheapest, just because its the cheapest.
    Good luck.

Comment

I hate to say it, but Pinterest has some pretty dang good ideas, if you want to start there...

Comment

My brother recently had a bathroom remodel done. It was pretty much a total remodel and I think it cost him around 10 grand. Tub to walk in shower, tile the floor, new vanities and commode. I think new dry wall as well. Its not a large bathroom at all.

Comment

Find an experienced handyman that can do it all, you buying the materials. It will save you a lot.

Comment

My wife does remodels for a living. What part of DFW are you in?
            Visit her website at www.calaisdesign.com

Comment

My mom had hers done a few years ago. Basically put down a small sloped sub floor and a outer shirt retaining wall and tiled all of it. Brought the H/C handles up and used the same head outlet for the shower and capped off the tub outlet.

Comment

$10-$20k based on materials

Comment

Yall are paying crazy numbers. Subbed everything out myself all in was a 6k. Very large bathroom 15x15. Had some stupid high quotes had some terribly low quotes to the lower of the middle. Stayed on top of their work and it went fine.

A tub to shower not tiling the rest of the room should run about 800 for labor. Maybe 500 in tile more or less depending on your taste. and probably 1500-1800 for the glass if you go seamless. Get lots of quotes on the glass.

If you do a shower pan on the bottom it will be less, but wont look as good. If you do a standard door it will be a lot less also.

Haggle all contractors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Part Timer; 05-16-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Having it done now and materials and labor is under 4000

Comment

buy the tile yourself and pay the subs for labor. the frameless showers look great but get pricey. i had one done and 3 years in, the glass door shattered into a million pieces spontaneously in the middle of the night - ask about warranties. they gave me a discount but not a free replacement.

if you can, add two showerheads (couples showers are much more fun!).....maybe add an extra grab bar......

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a small bathroom , maybe 8x8 but I'm looking at doing the tub, counter top, sink, get the wall paper off and maybe just going with paint. Wanna install a fart fan and raise the ceiling a bit by getting rid of the false ceiling and have some reset lighting installed. Floors have already been done and I'm keeping the cabinets

Comment

Originally posted by Hyd Guy View Post
                          Having it done now and materials and labor is under 4000
                          that's about right. Mine cost less but I did most of the work and used a pan instead. Wish now I would've went with a tile shower floor. It still turned out well.

Comment

Cheapest way is get a three piece fiberglass shower with end drain take tub out put the shower base and walls in .but the best is making it tile are even culture marble I think looks good !

Comment

we converted our only tub to a shower about 8 years ago, now the wife complains that we don't have a tub.

Comment

Working...
                              X