Oak trees are killing my grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak trees are killing my grass?

16 years ago when I bought this house I planted 3 packs of tree spikes that surrounded two what were small oak trees. Now 17 years later the trees are much larger and the root system is not deep in the ground but lots of them are above ground. I am assuming that that is killing my grass or at the least causing the grass to be bit as think as it should be.

Here's my question. Can these thinning of my grass be fixed? How do I get a good looking yard again?

Sucking the life out of the ground..

Comment

It's probably the shade more than the roots

Comment

Water.......

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
          Water.......
          This^^^^ and prune out the canopy to let some light get through.

Comment

Originally posted by SS75 View Post

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
            Water.......

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
            This^^^^ and prune out the canopy to let some light get through.

All three of these and adding more fertilizer than normal to your grass. Make sure the lowest branches are trimmed pretty high so the lowest morning and afternoon sun can get to the grass. Thin the canopy to the midday sun can get through. Water often and fertilize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on the amount of shade, you very well may be fighting a losing battle. Even St Augustine needs 5-6 hours of direct sun to thrive over the long run. I trimmed limbs and planted sod only to have it die out in the second year. I finally gave up on turf grass directly under the trees. I surrounded them with edging and planted shade tolerant ground cover like giant Liriope and Asian jasmine.

Comment

Originally posted by SS75 View Post
                Yep--and my arborist says 75% of the oak roots will be in the top 12" of soil.

Comment

What kind of grass is it? Keep your trees canopy at 10' or so, thin out the middle, and plant a shade tolerant hybrid such as amerishade or zoysia zeon. Lots of water and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you prune, fertilize and water your live oaks there will be a thicker shade next year.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Aggressively prune them to let light in. What do you have to loose?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                        Aggressively prune them to let light in. What do you have to loose?

Your trees if you prune too "aggressively"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My oak tree has been dropping brown leaves like it's fall like crazy. Anyone one else experiencing the same?

Comment

There is a new Bermuda grass out now. Called celebration Bermuda which does well in the shade, but not heavy shade as everyone is saying thin you trees the more sun the better. One person mentioned zoysia grass. Great grass. Much stronger than St. Aug. how much shade a day are we talking? Could be the answer is as jerk said a quick fix might be ground cover. Good luck

Comment

Jerk

Comment

Working...
                              X