Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runnin Deer Dogs. How I was raised deer huntin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We go every year north of Vicksburg, MS in the delta, during the dog season to hunt. Leave the day after Christmas and hunt through New Years. I love to sit in the woods and listen to a good dog race. It is the trip I look forward to most every year. Each year it seems there are fewer and fewer people running dogs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
      Charlie. He was dang sure right after all has been said n done.
      A man ahead of his time for sure! When hunting with dogs was outlawed lots of folks ignored it and hunted them anyway. Kept the GW busy! We still can't even use a dog to track a wounded deer in Hardin County now days!

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        That's how I started too. I hardly ever killed a deer but the guys who knew the woods better than I(older guys), did pretty well. We all started killing more deer by hunting without dogs though.
        Yep. There is a good reason why so many out of state hunters flock to our great state to hunt whitetail each year.
        Many are from states that still allow this "fun way" of hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
          Well, I was raised running dogs, but I always finished a deer off when I got to it. I didn't let it suffer. That just a total lack of respect.
          x infinity

Comment

Never seen a dog hunt before enteresting

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post

It's usually a lot more noisier than that.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                Being from the Midwest, I'd guess you've done drives? Dog hunting is just like that....with the drivers dropping the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Y'all with the dog hunting background, you remember when the old guys would sit around and from the sound of the hounds, could tell who was in the lead, and how close they were to the quarry... even could tell you within gunshot of where it would "cross"... That always amazed me. Don't know if they actually knew what they were talking about, but it sure made for some great memories... My dad's #1 cold trailer was "Parson"... he was a saddleback tri-colored beagle that was so fat, it looked like someone had pushed his tail in because of the roll of extra skin where it attached to his body... he couldn't run much, but he had a nose! If it was a long race, sometime, we'd be done, the deer killed/loaded on the truck or tractor and sitting/waiting on ol' Parson to catch up so he didn't have to walk home... Even I could tell his bark from the others.
                  Yes sir!!!! WE knew how every dog bawled and how every dog reacted to a hot trail or cold. They would let us younger guys "peeca" the dogs while the men got set up on the perimeter of the swamp. When we let the dogs loose it was downright incredible excitement. Love it to this day!!!
                  Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  .East Texas ever learn to protect the deer like they do out in West Texas, this will be the most wonderful place in the world to grow big deer and to deer hunt." My dad was right. It took a looong time to accomplish, but he was right. I don't deer hunt East Texas much anymore, but pretty much anyone who does will agree, once the dogs stopped, deer hunting got better, and with AR's they got bigger too... kinda funny how "they" can be right sometime.
                  Lord knows he was right! If the political will ever reaches a consensus and a few East Texas areas put in bow only zones it could outpace Hagerman within 10 years. Gotta have age, food and..................GW protection though!!!
                  Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  It's usually a lot more noisier than that.
                  to the 100th power!!! LOL! Usually cant hear yourself think when they are close!!!
                  Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                  Being from the Midwest, I'd guess you've done drives? Dog hunting is just like that....with the drivers dropping the dogs.
                  Good analogy!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X