old sabine bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old sabine bottom

planning a weeks hunt the week after Thanksgiving. gonna camp out. have hunted there many times in the past few years. just wondering what the conditions are like out there and if anyone is seeing any movement. i know this place can be tough for deer hunting. how bout the hogs too.

havent been out there in the last few weeks cause its been closed for the draw hunts, but the last week in october it was good, dry but good. the hogs are as expected maybe even better and the deer sightings for me have been normal as well. 2 of my hunting partners have already connected on deer 1 pretty good 8 and 1 spike

Comment

thanks for the info sounds good. i like when its dry you can actually walk down a trail and not wade down it.

Comment

Sprayn2,

I'll be there 11/22 - 11/26. Any good advice on locations there. I plan to hunt the non-atv section. Thanks!

Comment

Rut, you must have family in the area to come from where you are coming from...we will also be out there those dates, and in the same area, where are you going to camp? We have never been there, so we plan on looking the area over for a bit and may move on to the Angelina, Crockett, or Sabine National Forests...sprayn2, any info will be mucho apreciato...thanks bud Rick and Derek

Comment

Rick,

I'll be there Thursday night. I have a cousin (Jason Sebesta) that lives in Jasper, Texas. I will most likely camp out towards the back. I'll be in a white van. What will you be driving?

Comment

well, without giving up my spots

i would check out around both lakes, especially between the 2 of them. also i wouldnt be afraid to check out the areas around the first camp and the parking areas just past it to the left.

Comment

Thanks, Sprayn2!

Comment

Rut...are you going to be at the Sabine National Forest which is down close to Jasper, or the unit north of Tyler? We will be north of Tyler. Will probably be in the back campground close to the river Thur evening. Will have to look at my map again to see location of the lakes but right now I don't recall any.....Rick

Comment

No lakes shown on my map, but I only have the one that is in the handbook....

Comment

download google earth..its a big help

Comment

Rick,

I will be hunting the Old Sabine Bottom WMA 5 miles north of Lindale. Are you aware of this area? Next week should prove to be good with the cold weather and the later stages of the rut! What have you heard lately about the East Texas rut?

Comment

Rut....sorry about the confusion, yes I have been looking at it on Google the Earth, thems is a thick patch of woods there, I have been wanting to get there for a couple of years now, just have never made it, we usually end up at the Angelina that weekend. Still only see one lake or what appears to be a lake on Google, although there are lakes all around it. I was just curious why you would pass up 3-4 National Forests to go there, have you hunted there before? We might be there a day earlier, give me a cell # if you want, I do not know how late the checkpoint is open. I have not been able to hunt the past 3 wks so I have not a clue what stage of the rut is going on other what I have read on here. Post a thread on the campfire, I am sure the guys will give you some info, looking forward to meeting you and good luck up there, we will take all the pointers we can get...Thanks ....Rick

Comment

i will be out there this afternoon, i will try and find yall

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzilla4645 View Post
                              No lakes shown on my map, but I only have the one that is in the handbook....
                              when you get there, at the very front there is a registration station, they have a aerial photo of the place. it will show all the trails and you can see both lakes. you will want to park in the duck marsh parking area, when you park if you will head to the end of that field in the same direction the road comes in from, there is a trail, follow it till it splits. you will be at long lake at that point. if you go right you go around one side of long lake, if you go left you goto king lake

Comment

Working...
                              X