No deer at LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deer at LBJ Grasslands

I think they cross the units at night to leave their tracks and poop and then hang out on private land during the daytime. I see quite a few tracks and poop but no deer.

I dont know I am gonna try a unit tonight that will hopefully have a doe or buck step out in front of me cause I am dropping there ***'s

Comment

I'll probably go back up around the end of the week......betcha a dollar I'll see a bunch!
      They're really really sneaky -----you just have to be sneakier!

Comment

I am going in the morning with a buddy. Looking forward to my first Texas deer hunt!!

Comment

There is a group of does that I always and I mean always see on the unit across the road from clear lake, i think clear lake is on unit 41, this is the same unit that surrounds Hopewell cemetery.
          Now if any of you kind deer seekers would be willing to tell me what unit you tend to see loads of rabbits I will give you the exact location . I always bump deer up because I run my rabbit hounds out there. They are deer broke and won't chase deer but i always see the same 2 does leave an area I hunt. I tend to stay out of the woods and hunt in open land, I tend to bump into quail hunters too, quite frequently. I always send them to where I've seen birds. There are still plenty of quail out on LBJ.

Comment

Hey freddy,

Where are you seeing these quails at? Or anyone else for that matter...

Many thanks in advance

Comment

I know where you see them does and I just put my trail cam out on them and I am gonna see some sizes first I will be out there in a couple weeks to set my stand up <3 thanks for the info.

Comment

Your not supposed to run dogs out there, plus if one runs by a bowhunters stand its likely to get an arrow shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWarcher View Post
                  Your not supposed to run dogs out there, plus if one runs by a bowhunters stand its likely to get an arrow shot at it.
                  Dogs are allowed on LBJ. How do you think guys quail hunt?

Comment

Well I will tell you the first dog I see or hear running threw the thicket at LBJ or runs by my treestand I am gonna drop the dog and then get out of treestand and look for my harvest >3

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
                      Well I will tell you the first dog I see or hear running threw the thicket at LBJ or runs by my treestand I am gonna drop the dog and then get out of treestand and look for my harvest >3
                      That would be a very dangerous move on your part. Quail hunters have as much right to hunt at LBJ as you do. I hunt deer and quail. If a deer hunter shot my dog while I was legally quail hunting, they would be in serious trouble.

Comment

I only hunt deer but come on guys. Respect each other. We are all in this together. Learn how to hunt together. You see from the earlier post how you can trade info and secrets. Utilize that and treat others better than you want to be treated!!!

My 2 cents worth!

Comment

Originally posted by BamaTexan View Post
                          I only hunt deer but come on guys. Respect each other. We are all in this together. Learn how to hunt together. You see from the earlier post how you can trade info and secrets. Utilize that and treat others better than you want to be treated!!!

My 2 cents worth!
                          Some people haven't quite figured out that hunting public land isn't the same as hunting private land. You have to put up with a lot more stuff on public land than you have to on private land.

No one likes a dog that is out by himself cruising the woods and fields. But, a dog with a collar and one or more hunters trailing behind it is not a stray dog or one that "got out".

No one that I know wants an armed confrontation out in the field.

Comment

What do you mean no dogs on LBJ?
                            Do you know just how many field trials are held out there each year,
                            For duck, quail and rabbit dogs.

I bump into quail hunters ALL THE TIME, more than any other type of hunter and we always trade info on spots to pursue our game.

Well if you shoot my dog just be sure to get there first cause they all have tracking collars, seriously though don't shoot a hunting dog for no good reason, it's public land, we can all find a spot on 20,000 acres, i'm sure of it.

Beside I never hunt "in the woods" always in open grasses so I can stay out of your way, heck, half the time I have a recurve with flu flu's in the quver.
                            It's a real challenge to hit a running cottontail with a recurve.

either way if you want the spot where them does hang out and their walking pattern shoot me a PM

Comment

I wont shoot no dog I wont shoot anything unless I plan on eating it or my life is in danger. I was just messin about shooting a dog lol but some people sound serious. There word Public means everyone and there brother has the right and pays there dues every year to hunt good ol LBJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X