No announcement yet.

Lets talk sleep apnea... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had 3 sleep studies and 3 different machines. I honestly gave up on the first two after trying them for a month or more and never getting more than a couple hours sleep. I've recently (2 months now) got a machine and settings that seem to work much better. I still don't get that great refreshing feel that most do after a nights sleep, but I also have other underlying medical conditions limiting my sleep. Plus I'm one of the rare cases that have both obstructive sleep apnea as well as central sleep apnea, which is much more difficult to treat.

My Father in law is in his early 60 ' s and may not be with us much longer, and the doctors think that his stubborn disregard for treating his sleep apnea is a major player in his health problems. People don't realize how serious it is.
    Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
    Interested however because of meds I take for diabetes, have to get up 4 sometimes 5 times a night to go the bathroom. how hard to remove go and reapply plus I don't really snore on my side but really would like to sleep on my back, that causes me to snore.
    I go at least twice if not more during the night and removing and reapplying the machine is quick and easy...I do it in the compete dark.

Comment

During the sleep study they will test you to see what CUPs work best to control your episodes.
      Mine is set at 10 which is 10 mm of water will be floated the CUPs if I understand it correctly.
      But at any rate, they will do what will be the most beneficial to you.
      I'm 58 and that is to young to die !

I also have one for camp which runs off of a Marine trolling battery and a converter, a full charge lasts for 5-6 days. Never ran it longer than that. Plus the guys in camp like it too.

Comment

Lets talk sleep apnea... again.

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Wow! I quit breathing quiet often.....according to some people. Im saying I don't need it. So I guess this is my goodbye?

But I'm almost 50. That ain't young, right?

Ask Reggie White of Eagles, Packers fame.....

I think when he said young, he meant before your time. That's just how I read it though.
        Last edited by Smart; 05-21-2015, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I didn't take it serious at first. But, when a friend of mine died from sleep apnea, it was game on! He was only in his early 40's. State trooper found him dead in the sleeper of his rig one day. Went to sleep the night before and never woke back up. I don't know if I need another mask or need another study done. After 20yrs it doesn't seem to be working quite as good as it used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
            It's easy, don't use it and die young. It's like being prescribed with blood pressure medicine and saying you don't need it. You will die.
            This ^^^^....... Just ask Reggie White.

I used mine for 10 years and hated it. The hose, the air leak noises, the maint on it...... hated it.
            My 5 yr old son wanted to know when he could get his machine...... and I listened.
            5'9" and 275lbs...... now Im 205 and no longer need it.

Comment

Had mine 3 years now and fight it every night. Trying to get a new machine at this time

Comment

My wife absolutely hater hers. For about a week. Now she loves it......sleeps much better......and so do I as I don't have to listen to her snore. Once in awhile she'll fall asleep on the couch sans mask. It brings back horrible memories.

Comment

Lets just say my power supply got fried in a storm last week and I've been laying down for several naps at night since then. Got the new ps in yesterday and the difference is there. I hate how much I depend on it, but it helps tremendously.

Comment

From a web site on sleep apnea.....

Sleep Apnea and Death

I would like to start off by saying I am a huge fan of Discovery channel hit series Deadliest Catch and the personalities of the cast and crew that have entertained us for years. There are not many jobs out there where millions of people enjoy watching you simply do your job and work. I doubt I would be able to get my family to tune in to one episode of me scoring a sleep study or talking CPAP shop with my fellow co-workers (yawn, that was boring just typing it). But it goes without saying that the Deadliest Catch has reeled in many viewers and we witness their struggles and tragedies over the years and the recent passing of Captain Phil Harris and Justin Tennison.

We do want to take the time to offer our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Justin Tennison, a Deadliest Catch star on the Time Bandit. Justin passed away tragically in his sleep at the age of 33 as a result of complication related to sleep apnea (thus the reason we are discussing this on a CPAP blog) and we want to shine a light on snoring and sleep apnea, in particular the deadly consequences and health risks it poses.

Comment

How about more info on sleep apnea.....

Dying from Sleep Apnea: Causes, Risk Factors, Clinical Studies, and Real Stories
                      sleep apnea death People with sleep apnea die in their sleep mostly due to severe changes in their cardiovascular system, changes that occur after a long period of sleeping without an effective treatment.

Furthermore, scientists observed that most deaths from sleep apnea occurs during the night as compared with daytime.

Side Effects from Sleep Apnea that Can Cause Death

Researchers demonstrated that untreated severe sleep apnea (AHI > 20) was associated with high mortality rates.

According to their study patients with sleep apnea are 3 times more likely to suffer a stroke, heart failure or die, compared to people without sleep apnea but with similar health condition.

Mild and moderate sleep apnea causes changes in your body that trigger a signal for an immediate action. These changes are:
                      excessive daytime sleepiness,
                      un-refreshing sleep,
                      morning headache,
                      depression,
                      frequent trips to the bathroom,
                      memory problems,
                      acid reflux.

Comment

I know three people that have used it and they all sing its praises.

Mitch (krivoman) I hunted with before he had his and man the first year we hunted I could hear him from another zip code and honestly he scared me because he literally stopped breathing. . . . can't imagine how his wife felt. Next year he told me he got the machine i didn't hear him, he lost weight and said he sleeps like a rock.

I hate to call him out but man it made a difference to him and is someone you can talk to on here. My business partner literally flies with one because he will not go to sleep without it.

Comment

I feel asleep in the couch 2 nights ago without my cpap. About 1.5-2 hours in I woke up sweating from head to toe, about to pass out, and my wife said I was white as a ghost. According to get Dr. my oxygen saturation got so low my body went into fight or flight mode. There's a strong possibility that if I wouldn't have woken up when I did I may not be here today.

Comment

I have had one for the past 5 months and fight it every night. At first I could only use it for about 2 hours and then it would come off. I have gone through 5 different masks and finally found one (about 3 weeks ago) that works for me, allowing me to sleep with it all night. In all honesty, I don't feel better in the mornings, I feel sleepy most of the day but my Sleep Dr. said if I can use it for the better part of the night, I will receive a lot of benefit from it. This has become quite a journey for me and one I want to win. I'm 65 now and my goal is to make it until my Grandkids graduate from college.

Best of luck to you. If I could offer any advise, it would be explore different masks until you find one that is compatible with your sleep habits.

Comment

I don't go anywhere overnight without mine. Had to try a couple of masks but I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                                I have had one for the past 5 months and fight it every night. At first I could only use it for about 2 hours and then it would come off. I have gone through 5 different masks and finally found one (about 3 weeks ago) that works for me, allowing me to sleep with it all night. In all honesty, I don't feel better in the mornings, I feel sleepy most of the day but my Sleep Dr. said if I can use it for the better part of the night, I will receive a lot of benefit from it. This has become quite a journey for me and one I want to win. I'm 65 now and my goal is to make it until my Grandkids graduate from college.

Best of luck to you. If I could offer any advise, it would be explore different masks until you find one that is compatible with your sleep habits.
                                I'm still sleepy during the day, but I don't have the nods every time I sit on the couch or drive for more than thirty minutes. I'm at least rested enough to know that there are other issues that I need to address like exercise that are causing me to be tired.

Comment

Working...
                                X