Sold stock Think I did OK...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold stock Think I did OK...

My company (Rockwell Collins) match on our 401K is in company stock. We are in the process of being bought out by United Technology Corporation for $30B. Stock will payout $140 a share with $93 and change in cash and the remainder in UTC stock. Today our stock was $137 and change so I sold it all. Making bet that after the buyout UTC will drop from where it’s at ($108 and change).
    Also I didn’t realize that RC stock was 55% (we’ve been doing great for quite a while) of my 401K!! Max on one stock probably shouldn’t be over 10% of total so selling some was needed anyway.
    I think I did good in selling at $137+ per. Time will tell for sure...

I agree

Comment

Sounds like the right thing to do.

Comment

Tax liability???

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Tax liability???
          Shouldn't be any, until you start withdrawing. That was a good lick, now let it simmer.......but I'm no financial guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Tax liability???
            He said (implied ) that it is inside his 401(k).

Comment

Good news ! Now, I was just about to start a gofundme because Chuck Schumer hurt my feelings this morning (I was forced to look at him on tv). Would you care to contribute.........

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Good news ! Now, I was just about to start a gofundme because Chuck Schumer hurt my feelings this morning (I was forced to look at him on tv). Would you care to contribute.........

I started a gofundme just cause I wanted to see if there are idiots out there. None so far...

And keeping the monies in my 401 keeps me from incurring a tax liability.

Comment

Sounds like a good opportunity to diversify. Sometimes it works out OK but being over concentrated in your company’s stock can be very dangerous - especially when you are approaching retirement age.

Comment

An old client of mine who has done very well over the years always says, "It's hard to go broke by taking a profit."

In other words, don't worry about it if the stock you sold goes up further after you sell. If you sold at a good time, especially if you needed to diversify more, you did good.

Comment

You did great. I didn't do that when our company sold and took a beating. Lesson learned. Unless it is an all cash deal, where the buyout price is set, then sell. A cash and stock trade deal is no bueno for investors.

Comment

Working...
                      X