Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT...what is the best "long range" cal. gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT...what is the best "long range" cal. gun?

What gun shoots flat? If I were gonna shoot a deer at 300-400+ yards... which one would it be? I have a .300 wby mag but it seems to drop significantly after 300 yards! What shoots flat after 300?

If im gonna shoot a buck with a gun, I want it to be a challange

Thanks!

6.5 x55 .264 win mag. Alot of calibers start to drop off really fast after 300 yards just gotta know how fast.

Comment

7mm Rem Mag
      300 WSM
      .257 WBY

Comment

Most guns will drop off right at 300 yds. You just need to make you a chart for the ballistics of your round and spend money on the glass. You realy want a scope with target turrets. then when you range it you just dial the scope point and fire.

The 300 is a great round my cousin has a 300 H&H and produced 4" groups consistently at 1000 meters with it. The kicker is at 100 meters it has more energy than a 357 magnum at the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pairs12 View Post
          6.5 x55 .264 win mag. Alot of calibers start to drop off really fast after 300 yards just gotta know how fast.
          How much difference is this than the .270.... which is easier to find ammo for?
          thanks for the info!

Comment

It is not so much the round as it is knowing how the round shoots! Know your trajectory and get a good target turret scope an practice. I prefer 300 Win, which most will say sucks. It is all preference!

Buy a military round, they will be your cheapest option.

308, 338 Lapua, 50 BMG.

Comment

I have a 270 and if you pull up the ballistics your gun and the 270 they match almost inch for inch of drop out to 700 yds.

Comment

7.21 Firebird or 7mm Lazzeroni is king....

Comment

They both are going to be equally a task to get ammo for. Not impossible but it will be online. You won't find it at the box stores. I read and I'll try to find a link the article that in 2009 6.5x55 was the most popular 1000 yard cartridge followed by some wildcats.
                  Last edited by Sparkles; 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

7mm Lazzeroni
                    Lazzeroni scramjet is a good one too.

Comment

270wsm, 300rum

Comment

Aw heck, I've killed a train load of deer past 300 yards with my 22-250...

Comment

The good old 270 is just about as flat as a 7 mag.

Comment

its not so much the gun as it is the ammo.

Comment

338 Lapua!!!! But seriously a 6.5-06 is great out to a 1000. But downside is you have to reload.

Comment

Working...
                              X