No announcement yet.

How do you guys do it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"just hunt the wind" is a lot easier than it sounds. with as busy as most people are sometimes it just comes down to the fact that I have a free morning to hunt, so I'm gonna hunt. also the deer tend to come from everywhere on all 3 of my spots, i have preferred winds for each one, but it never fails that i will have at least 1 come in from behind me every hunt.

Comment

I use the Scent Killer as well and I don't get busted and have deer right next to my popup which is in a river bottom. And unless it's really cold there is always a Thermacell going in there with me.

Being still I think is just so important. I have watched people through binoculars who are hunting on tripods and they are moving their heads left and right and scratching themselves and then later complain they didn't see anything lol.

I think popups are best for scent control and for being invisible and it's why I hunt them and not tripods.

Comment

I wear HECS under layer, and spray with **********. I have had deer walk directly under my 8' tripod and never notice me.

Comment

It's all about the wind.

Comment

It's all about the wind and your approach. I try not to touch anything on my way in. Like a ninja bank robber dodging lasers. Get up as high as you can. If you know the trails the deer are traveling and busting you from you may need to change stand location or not hunt without right wind. I know the public land buck I hunt are **** good at countering me. They absolutely will not come in f4om any direction other than downwind regardless of what that direction is. I counter this by hunting downwind of trails farther away from my hand corn that they will come down when trying to get a downwind line on the corn.

Comment

My thought is that scent control can help but the deer can always smell you if it's in your wind line. They just may tolerate it or not. If a deer cam smell a kernel of corn under a foot of snow it can smell your hot breath, or whatever. If the deer is intolerant of any trace of human odor then forget it. I've had deer that I know smelled me and they didn't care others bust from hundreds of yards away. Best you can do is to take all available scent control measures and be downwind of them.

Comment

Just smoke your clothes it always works for me!!!!!

Comment

Always play the wind.
                  It is impossible (without large doses of antibiotics) to completely eliminate your scent signature. The best we can do is dampen or minimize the signature.

IOW, you want it to be low enough to not get them all worked up. Deer are funny critters though, and what others will walk past, another will blow up.

I use smoke to dampen the human scent producers, mostly bacteria, and a home made scent killer and a home made cover scent. There are a million ways to do this, as you have read above.

The number one rule is to hunt the wind. If there is any risk of deer being downwind for a significant amount of time, don't hunt there.

Comment

I am beginning to realize some things the more I hunt different areas and different situations, conditions, and setups.

It is all about managing the deer's comfort level. Controlling your scent is definitely key in most situations... but some hunters can condition deer to not care as much.

When you are getting busted a lot, you need to think about what is it that you are doing or introducing to the situation that is drastically lowering their comfort level.

Are you hunting a high pressured area, and in a high pressured situation? You mention you are hunting public land, so there are a lot of things going on. The deer are likely very highly pressured. Seeing corn in certain areas might set off red flags for the deer you are hunting.

You might be getting picked off as you walk in, and are already starting off having stressed the deer out. Pick a different way to walk in.

You might be hunting over known danger zones. Hell, deer are typically on high alert coming into our feeders... they know deer die there. I watch them mosey on by or in... all comfortable until they get into the open, near the feeder. Some young deer don't know better... but bigger deer know.

It isn't just about seeing you... deer can tell if something is off... ladder stands can be picked off as there is a big metal thing down on the ground. Pop-ups that are not set off the trail can be seen real quick.

Also... make sure your shooting lanes are tight. The wider the lane... the more likely they can see you.

I've learned these things and I am still learning a ton every time I go out. One thing I do notice is that deer seem pretty calm approaching my ambush spots... the trick is knowing exactly where they will come out/through... my place has a ton of trails.

Comment

Don't give up on approach. This got me for about 2 years. The trees had grown up so I had to move my stand location, so I had to change my approach so I didn't walk through the target area. However, when I changed my approach I was walking through the "staging" area to the target area. I took me about 5 sits until I figured it out. The next time I took a 3rd approach and killed a buck that morning. I understand where you are with time, etc and the wind. Sometimes it just isn't that easy. Stay scent free and pay attention to your approach. Good luck

Comment

Get down wind!!!

I have and few hunters swear by ozonics but Get Down Wind!

Comment

Don't forget to spray down your truck seat and floor mat.

DJ

Comment

Don’t wear your hunting boots anywhere but to and from your stand. It doesn’t do any good to shower and wash your clothes in scent free but forget and wear your hunting boots in camp, in your vehicle, to pump gas, into Walmart or anywhere else they can pick up human scent. You leave this scent on the trail walking in and it wafts off your boots in the stand. Another consideration is your bow and arrows. You target practice in the summer sweating on your release, wrist strap, arrows, etc. Lots of human scent accumulating on your bow.

A favorable wind can cover a lot of human scent so always play the wind.

Comment

Watch the wind, get you some talc in a bottle and check your wind....you can put all the scent elimination on you and they will still smell you...if they have been pressured then they will be more subject to scent....

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                                What are you hunting from? Becareful what you spray down with, Dead Down Wind means just that, your action will be dead down wind.
                                I keep hearing this on DDW. I have used it for quite a while now and rarely do I get blown at. Curious as to where everyone gets this? What do people recommend?

Comment

Working...
                                X