Old Barn Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Barn Rehab

Well I have leased the ranch from family and I am about to get my very first set of heifers. I need to fix the place up a bit because it has not seen any maintenance in 20+ years. The old barn is my starting place. My grandfather built this barn back in the middle 1950's out of used oak / pine and rail road ties. Basically a pole barn. My family has a lot of memories of the place and I want it to stay the way we all remember it. From the outside it looks like **** that just needs to be torn down. With my brothers help we are determined to put it back together. We are replacing lumber as needed but leaving the wood if it is still dense and structurally sound. Here are some pics of the progress so far. I will update as time goes on. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Files

tagged to see the prgress

Comment

I'll be keeping up with this threads progress.

Rwc

Comment

I love the look of old barns!!

Comment

How cool! In to see the progress.

Comment

Good luck. Where is that? Doesn't look to be a sprig of green out there other than perhaps a cedar. Town doesn't look much better. Hope it rains soon.

Comment

This place is near Old Mobeetie Texas. These first set of pics were taken back in the middle of March. Our winters here in the panhandle stretch out a lot longer than you southern boys. We have gotten rain and some warmer temps since then and things are starting to green up but we still need more rain. Ill post more recent pics soon as i can figure it out.

Comment

A little more progress.
                Attached Files

Comment

Making the replacement trusses the same way my grandpa did back in the 50's.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hanging my trusses.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. Great work so far.

Comment

Spliced in the old trusses to the new, added supports to the existing trusses with metal gusset plates on all 3 points. Went ahead and used the old tin that was salvageable and covered what I can. Found some 20' x 3' metal R-Panels on craigslist for $20 each which I will be hauling to the ranch this weekend. Plan on covering the roof and all sides with the R-Panels.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That is a good start. Looking forward to the updates.

Comment

lookin good!

Comment

Impressive

Comment

Working...
                              X