Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present
Default Releases

Going back to thorthunders thread about wanting to use a release with his recurve. I just now ran across these, are any of you guys on here old enough or familiar in any way with these? I can't imagine trying to use one of these. Please add any info you may have on these. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840512.473450.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  68.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840542.172221.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  71.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376840591.000879.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  67.0 KB
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Wow, pretty neat.
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Bisch
Pope & Young

They look like early model, back tension, releases!

I be kinda leery of the "oops" if I tried to shoot one of those.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

I have no intentions of trying these!!lol They would not be for the faint of heart as the ledges that the string hangs on are VERY slight. I just happen to run across them and it's something you just don't see everyday.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Bisch
Pope & Young

I can see the hooks on all of them except the orange one. How does the orange one hook on the string?

BTW, those things do look like an accident waiting to happen!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Once you get the feel for it they aren't that difficult to use.

I don't specifically recognize any of those although the general design is familiar. The black one in the upper center of the second photo might be an early Stanislawski. He was the first to use a hook and stepped cam in a release. Jerry Carter followed a couple of years later.
My first mechanical release was a piece of broom handle with a nail driven through it and bent to provide a hook. I then filed the hook until I got the release I wanted.

Without a loop most of the current crop of handheld release would be difficult to use on a recurve or longbow as most are designed to be shot from a more vertical position.

A wrist strap trigger release or one of the swivel headed handheld releases would work best as they are primarily designed to hook directly to the string.
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Here some better pics of the ledges/slots for the string. Absolutely not for me!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847228.784084.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  58.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847258.522997.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  60.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847285.083528.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  62.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376847305.886719.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

I saw this one a while back and thought it would be a good one if my Arthritis gets too bad. The guy made it from an old leather belt.
Attached Images

splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Unk Bond
Four Point

Default Releases

Hello All & Nice thread.
Well I have the age qualification to remember this type of release, being 78
Seems the trend started in California. My first view of one was at Co Bo hall.
In Detroit Michigan. The crowd seemed to be leaving my side of the stadium. And heading up and over to the other side of the divided per-mid bleachers.

There was this girl from California shooting a PAA round. With this type style release.Just a piece of plastic, with a hook. I was amazed at her arrow groups as was the crowd.

I live about 50 miles from Spring Field Ohio. Where Vic. Berger lived. A renowned Recurve tab shooter.
Now when this type release came into the archery games. It set the recurve archery community on its ear.

Did rules ever start flowing. A long with some clubs not allowing a release at there shoots.
As years went by as you know. Things did mellow down,

============
Now back to the selection of releases.
I have shot several of the type posted. And let us not forget the little finger hook release. Boy my chin hasn't.

I made hook relese about a month ago out of aluminum. Use as a pattern the Carter X release body. Later when I get qualified here .I will post a pic or 2. A hook release is much smother cleaner than any release in my humble opp-ion. And a hinge running 2nd.

Now these releases are quiet safe. After one masters a few simple procedures. One being, one must draw the release pointing at 10 0-clock to anchor.
At anchor one hast to maintain the same 10 o-clock angle. Not to rotate the release hand. Till one commits to the shot, and then using back tension, to activate the shot..
Might add, the bigger style release body. The colder one can set the hook to fire. Heck fire. On that big body hook release I just built. And set real cold. A hinge would fire before it would. Can let it down any time.[ Later
Unk Bond is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk Bond View Post
Hello All & Nice thread.
In Detroit Michigan. The crowd seemed to be leaving my side of the stadium. And heading up and over to the other side of the divided per-mid bleachers.

There was this girl from California shooting a PAA round. With this type style release.Just a piece of plastic, with a hook. I was amazed at her arrow groups as was the crowd.

I live about 50 miles from Spring Field Ohio. Where Vic. Berger lived. A renowned Recurve tab shooter.
Now when this type release came into the archery games. It set the recurve archery community on its ear.

Did rules ever start flowing. A long with some clubs not allowing a release at there shoots.

============
I have shot several of the type posted. And let us not forget the little finger hook release. Boy my chin hasn't.

I made hook relese about a month ago out of aluminum. Use as a pattern the Carter X release body. Later when I get qualified here .I will post a pic or 2. A hook release is much smother cleaner than any release in my humble opp-ion. And a hinge running 2nd.

Now these releases are quiet safe. After one masters a few simple procedures. One being, one must draw the release pointing at 10 0-clock to anchor.
At anchor one hast to maintain the same 10 o-clock angle. Not to rotate the release hand. Till one commits to the shot, and then using back tension, to activate the shot..
Might add, the bigger style release body. The colder one can set the hook to fire. Heck fire. On that big body hook release I just built. And set real cold. A hinge would fire before it would. Can let it down any time.[ Later
Cool info!!!! Thanks so much for posting. What was the usual draw weight of the bows for these type releases?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Quote:
Hello All & Nice thread.

============

Thanks for sharing!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
rzrbak
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cedarrock Ranch, Lampasas co., Logan co. Ark. anywhere i am invited

Thanks Unk......... and welcome .....
rzrbak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
Cool info!!!! Thanks so much for posting. What was the usual draw weight of the bows for these type releases?
====================
Hello All
For me, B it a hook or tab, or rope it was 35 pounds. Using a Wing Presentation II take down recurve.Me and Hoyt small recurve bow grips. Just didn't seem to work out.
They left to many Sargent stripes on the inter side, of my bow arm elbow.
Other words I was getting into the bow to deep.

To the range you seek. Was up to 40 pounds, with a recurve. But very few archers would leave there comfort zone of a tab..

If they had only leaned towards a larger body style. Who knows. I have made several hook releases. That I have used on a Hoyt Pro Medalist being 35 pounds . And my 50 pound compound bows. Made one up using the little Hooker hook.

Now that's a sight to be hold. That little hook setting a top of that big Carter style X body. The one I have now on the X body. Is made out of brass. With a 1/2 moon cam base, and a long hook. That I call long nose.

Later I went to a circle , made from a piece of plexiglass A plastic tube and some pair chute jumper cord. My average score jumped 10 points over night. But that's another yarn. [ Later

Last edited by Unk Bond; 08-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Unk Bond
Four Point

Hello All
Got enough post to post a picture.

So here is my long nose never fail hook release. Using the body pattern of a Real old Stan. And a homemade 1/2 brass cam, with a long hook.

Still hunting my computer for my Carter X with this hook. [ Later
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Years ago the Chaplin for the Professional Bowhunters Society made and sold wooden releases.

I thought about using a release to work on my target panic issues a few years back. I have a tendency to release too soon at times. I figure you can pull back and keep your finger way off of the trigger until you are anchored up really good.

I have some really old archery magazines from the 50-60s. Precompound. They are full of sight, buttons and rest ads............

There are articles complaining about the use of motorcyles to hunt off of too.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.B. View Post
Years ago the Chaplin for the Professional Bowhunters Society made and sold wooden releases.

I thought about using a release to work on my target panic issues a few years back. I have a tendency to release too soon at times. I figure you can pull back and keep your finger way off of the trigger until you are anchored up really good.

I have some really old archery magazines from the 50-60s. Precompound. They are full of sight, buttons and rest ads............

There are articles complaining about the use of motorcyles to hunt off of too.
======

Hello All
Quote = There are articles complaining about the use of motorcycles to hunt off of too.

And today its ATV 4 wheelers.. Its just human nature " To Complain." I tell's U .

Well like us old coon hunters youst to say. I feed my dog.

================

" target panic"
This word isn't in my vocabulary, of though or speech. Tab or release, as my old time friend Don K would say. The release is between your ears.

Like my school teacher taught me well. With me saying Ain't in about every sentence.
She would first have me draw a picture, and label it Ain't. And wad it up.. Then she would send me to the school yard to dig a hole and buried it. Boy after all the holes I dug . And as I think back. I should have drop a grain or two of corn in those holes.
===

This phrase you have posted " target panic"

Try coming down on your target, at 12 . And stopping just before interning the center circle of your target.

Now relax clear all the thoughts in your nog-un. Start relaxing and slowly breathing easy. Now inhale a small breath.Hold and start down to the center of the target, pause. Now burn the center with your aiming eye. Let you subconscious make the shot. [ Later
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Unk Bond
Four Point

Hello All
Long nose ,on a Carter X release body. [ Later
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

I have a couple of Carter releases from my wheel bow days. I've often wondered if they would work on a recurve or long bow with a loop?

Howdy and welcome Unk
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Unk Bond
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I have a couple of Carter releases from my wheel bow days. I've often wondered if they would work on a recurve or long bow with a loop?

Howdy and welcome Unk
=======================
Hello All

And thanks.
I wanted to see just what a recurve just might do. All dressed up in modern equipment.
So I took a Hoyt Pro-medalist I have. And added all modern equipment.
Tied a D loop on. And grab a few releases. And began shooting.

Oh boy did I find out in a short order. That -that recurve didn't fancy to many type releases. Got by with a Carter Magnet release. But the bow seemed to be parcel to hunting open jaw releases.

Other words a release that when shot. Would let the bow string go straight forward. [ Later

And a howdy back to you and yours. [ G D Bond -Unk
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

Quote:
=======================
Hello All

And thanks.
I wanted to see just what a recurve just might do. All dressed up in modern equipment.
So I took a Hoyt Pro-medalist I have. And added all modern equipment.
Tied a D loop on. And grab a few releases. And began shooting.

Oh boy did I find out in a short order. That -that recurve didn't fancy to many type releases. Got by with a Carter Magnet release. But the bow seemed to be parcel to hunting open jaw releases.

Other words a release that when shot. Would let the bow string go straight forward. [ Later

And a howdy back to you and yours. [ G D Bond -Unk

Good to know!
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top