Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
CTR0022
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default 28 gauges

Looking to get a 28 gauge. Any of you guys have one and what do you have?

Have heard good franchi 48 al, have also been looking at the beretta a400, the benelli ethos and the Remington 1100.

Have also considered an o/u or s/s, but think I'd like an auto more.

Any recommendations of brands to look at or stay away from.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
rvd
Ten Point
 
rvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Coast
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I don't own one but have shot the a400 in 28 gauge, I really like it, light but still feels solid and swings nicely. Had an ethos, I did not shoot it very well but I know a lot of people that really like it. For me in s-auto I'd definitely go with the a400.

We shoot Beretta 686's because most of the ranches we quail hunt don't allow s-auto any longer and I'm just comfortable with Berettas. I don't own one but have shot a couple skb 690's in 28, very nice shotgun imo for around a grand. I prefer 28's, only shoot a 12 for clays and occasionally waterfowl because 28 steel is so expensive.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

I have a Browning 725 i think is the model, love that gun.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
JeffJ
Pope & Young
 
JeffJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle
Default

Ive got a Silver Pigeon 28 that I love. Havent shot another gun since I got it. Looking at getting his little brother(.410) soon.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Jcav
Four Point
 
Jcav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Turkey, TX & OK Panhandle
Default

Beretta Silver Pigeon is the only way to go
Jcav is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Moose
Ten Point
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paradise, TX
Hunt In: Wood/Wise County
Default

I've got a 28 ga BPS that is poison for doves and small bore. But with that being said I'd love to own an A400 or even better a nice CG Maxum in 28 ga.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

I had a Remington 1100 in auto and I hated looking for hulls for it in the grass or on the ground. Especially shooting green hulls. My next 28 gauge will be an OU. I'm just trying to talking myself in spending another 2K plus on a 725 to match my 20.....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
REDGUN
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW metromess
Default

I have a Weatherby 28 ga semi-auto. Got it used, and have had it for about 2 years. No trouble, as of yet.

That being said, I am sure the Berreta/Benelli would be a MUCH better gun. If you can afford them, just get the one that feels the "best" to you.
REDGUN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
We shoot Beretta 686's because most of the ranches we quail hunt don't allow s-auto any longer





What is the reasoning for this? Safety with cracked barrels?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
220swift
Ten Point
 
220swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas
Default

I have a Remington 1100, a SKB OU, and a Winchester 101 pidgeon all in 28 gauge. I love shooting all of them. THe 101 is my favorite
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
Cabela
Pope & Young
 
Cabela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: Lampasas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcav View Post
Beretta Silver Pigeon is the only way to go


The pigeons are a nice o/u for the money but I wouldnít totally agree with only way to go. There are a lot of nice options for a 28 ga o/u.

Go buy what feels right for you.
Cabela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
Nock This
Six Point
 
Nock This's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pineville, LA
Hunt In: Mertzon, TX
Default

Beretta A400, love it!
Nock This is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Nelson
Six Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

I have a rizzini and skb. Only suggestion I would give you is to buy a gun that is built on a 28ga action. Some are built on 20ga and are heavier and wider.

I own every gauge in over unders and use my 28ga the most. Also watch out when buying shells. Some many factors don't do a good job of quality control and they are not round. Rio has always been good good my my guns.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
220swift
Ten Point
 
220swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas
Default

BTW, CZ makes a few O/U in 28 gauge that will not break the bank. I have shot the Drake (I think) They are under $1,000 if I remember correctly and shoot as well as my more expensive O/Us
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
MisterB
Eight Point
 
MisterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

X2 on silver pigeon. Love mine. It is my go to for dove.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
Casey
Administrator
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulverde
Default

I want a Benelli Ethos in 28ga. It's on my shortlist.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #17
rvd
Ten Point
 
rvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Coast
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post




What is the reasoning for this? Safety with cracked barrels?
Yes, I thought they were kidding at first. Started 4 or 5 years ago, think it's kinda the "cool thing" to do now. As poor as I shoot I miss that 3rd round pretty often
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
rvd
Ten Point
 
rvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Coast
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I have a rizzini and skb. Only suggestion I would give you is to buy a gun that is built on a 28ga action. Some are built on 20ga and are heavier and wider.

I own every gauge in over unders and use my 28ga the most. Also watch out when buying shells. Some many factors don't do a good job of quality control and they are not round. Rio has always been good good my my guns.
Excellent advice.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

I love my grandads 1950 ish Rem.
But never quail hunt anymore

Last ranch I hunted was 2 birds per covey limit.
Auto was not really an advantage. I would go with 0/U
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
Yes, I thought they were kidding at first. Started 4 or 5 years ago, think it's kinda the "cool thing" to do now. As poor as I shoot I miss that 3rd round pretty often


Make sense but Iím sure there is a little gentlemanly cool club in that mix too.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Make sense but Iím sure there is a little gentlemanly cool club in that mix too.


It's a measure to keep from shooting out coveys on day lease type outfits.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #22
Leverhunter
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

I've got a Remington 1100 Sporting 28 I may sell. Great shape with several chokes. Nice gun, I just usually grab an old A5 20ga I like. Let me know if your interested.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Looking to get a 28 gauge. Any of you guys have one and what do you have?

Have heard good franchi 48 al, have also been looking at the beretta a400, the benelli ethos and the Remington 1100.

Have also considered an o/u or s/s, but think I'd like an auto more.

Any recommendations of brands to look at or stay away from.
Franchi does not make the 48 al anymore so you'd have to pick one up used. I just got the Beretta A400 in 28 gauge and love it. Shot it all last week at cranes and ducks in the panhandle and had no issues even with the blowing dirt up there. I also have a remington 1100 that I used to love shooting but don't see myself going back to it now that I bought the Beretta. If you are looking for an OU check out the Franchi Instinct L. Beautiful gun and on a true sub gauge frame. Whatever you do, don't buy a 28 gauge on a 20 gauge frame.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
CTR0022
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

So if I went the o/u route I was thinking of getting a 20/28 gauge with the interchangeable barrels. I guess that is a bad idea?
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
tigerscowboy
Ten Point
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.
Default

Have a Ruger Red Label in 28g. Great gun. Points perfect with unnoticeable recoil. I'll own it forever.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #26
T-roy66
Eight Point
 
T-roy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Orange
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

I have a Remington 11-48 in 28 ga that I like shooting. I also picked up a Yeldiz over under that I have not shot yet.

Last edited by T-roy66; 11-14-2018 at 05:49 PM.
T-roy66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #27
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

I'm looking at a used Zoli sporting 20/28 combo right now for next season...

I started my dove hunting at a young age with a 28ga wingmaster, but the ole guy who was buying my shells at the time quickly decided a 20 was a much better option for me.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #28
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Have a Ruger Red Label in 28g. Great gun. Points perfect with unnoticeable recoil. I'll own it forever.
That sounds like a winner !!!!!
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
So if I went the o/u route I was thinking of getting a 20/28 gauge with the interchangeable barrels. I guess that is a bad idea?


Just make sure the 20 is on a sub gauge frame and youíll be fine
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
mckelvey
Nubbin' Buck
 
mckelvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mount Pleasant
Hunt In: Titus County
Default

Love the silver pigeon.
mckelvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Just make sure the 20 is on a sub gauge frame and youíll be fine
Is there such thing as a 20 gauge on a sub gauge frame?
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 28 gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Is there such thing as a 20 gauge on a sub gauge frame?


Well I consider a 20 subgauge and there are 20s built on a 12 gauge frame ...sorry if thatís not correct the correct verbage..

My 725 sporting is a much smaller gun frame compared to the 725 12 of the same

Last edited by Smart; 11-14-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #33
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Well I consider a 20 subgauge and there are 20s built on a 12 gauge frame ...sorry if thatís not correct the correct verbage..

My 725 sporting is a much smaller gun frame compared to the 725 12 of the same
Subgauge guns are 28 and 410. To my knowledge, 20 gauge barrels will not fit on a true sub gauge frame. The whole advantage of sub gauge guns are the light and small frames. If you want to buy a combo 20/28 you might as well just get one nice 20 gauge because 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame defeats the whole purpose of the caliber.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #34
stickbow
Four Point
 
stickbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default 28

silver pigeon have 28 and 20 both super fine o/u never hangs
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #35
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I want a Benelli Ethos in 28ga. It's on my shortlist.
I have one and you'll love it.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #36
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Smart is correct...most 20/28 'only' combos will be based on the smaller 20ga frame.

Remember there are plenty of 4bbl sets (410, 28, 20 & 12) & they obviously have to revolve on the big 12ga frame.

One of the issues I'll have to get used to as I really tend to shoot & like the way big heavier guns swing. I thought about tubes but figured it was missing the whole smaller ga virtues. We'll see.

Last edited by Artos; 11-14-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #37
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Subgauge guns are 28 and 410. To my knowledge, 20 gauge barrels will not fit on a true sub gauge frame. The whole advantage of sub gauge guns are the light and small frames. If you want to buy a combo 20/28 you might as well just get one nice 20 gauge because 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame defeats the whole purpose of the caliber.
Gauges...not calibers...well except the 410 is a bore.

I have seen many definitions of sub gauges as < 12....I guess it just depends on what groups you shoot for and what part of the country you shoot.

Let me rephrase for JP.

OP...Don't buy a set that is built on a 12 gauge frame..... if you buy a set....make sure it is a 20-28 gauge set and not a 12, 20, 28, .410. I mean you can buy one but the 20 gauge on a true smaller frame like the 725 is a very good feel. A 28 gauge is fine in a 20ga frame....the felt recoil is slightly less and its a nice change. That 28ga is a nice dove and quail smacker.

Last edited by Smart; 11-14-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

**** I butchered the typing on that. Had to edit..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #39
Ag 96
Eight Point
 
Ag 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: Hemphill, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post




What is the reasoning for this? Safety with cracked barrels?
Another reason is that some landowners donít like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also wonít let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because heís worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.
Ag 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag 96 View Post
Another reason is that some landowners don’t like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also won’t let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because he’s worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.



I totally understand the hulls thing. I know some OU guys that let em fly. I have to stay on their asses to pick them up.


That's over the top on the beer thing
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #41
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
That 28ga is a nice dove and quail smacker.
With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #42
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.



Niiice...That's impressive performance from a 28.


I haven't picked up a 12ga since 2004 myself and I sold the ones I had buying more 20s (my preferred due to shell cost) with the proceeds. Killed a lot of ducks in 2005-2009 period with an M-1 20. They are hell on turkeys too. Another 28ga in o/u is my next buy, like I said above, when I can convince myself to do it... I just hope it doesn't make me sell all my 20s..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #43
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Niiice...That's impressive performance from a 28.


I haven't picked up a 12ga since 2004 myself and I sold the ones I had buying more 20s (my preferred due to shell cost) with the proceeds. Killed a lot of ducks in 2005-2009 period with an M-1 20. They are hell on turkeys too. Another 28ga in o/u is my next buy, like I said above, when I can convince myself to do it... I just hope it doesn't make me sell all my 20s..
I mentioned it above but take a look at the franchi instinct L 28 gauge. They are super sweet little guns and very reasonably priced IMO.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #44
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
I mentioned it above but take a look at the franchi instinct L 28 gauge. They are super sweet little guns and very reasonably priced IMO.

Buddy has the 20. Actually it might be the SL. Nice guns for sure

I'm leaning toward a matching 725 for my 20 .. Hence the holdup..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #45
Nelson
Six Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

Franchi are computer machined receiver and barrels set. This allows for a very tight lock up which is good. Only issue is from the franchi I have handled is that it's wayyyy to tight.

You will pay a little more for a berreta or other gunsmith assembled guns but those guns are ready to shoot out of the box.

Or just grab a tube flitz sit down and watch every episode of lonesome dove while breaking the barrel open.

Little more money that's all.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #46
rvd
Ten Point
 
rvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Coast
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.
20+ years ago I took a guy duck hunting that was shooting a 28 o/u with bismuth handloads. Myself and the other guy with us were shooting 20 o/u's with 3 inch steel loads, he outshot us 2/1. After he put the whooping on us he went into a theoretical lecture on how only the 12 and the 28 have what he called "true" patterns and that the 20 shoots a "bastar**" pattern, shortly thereafter I bought my first 28... I've never researched his theory but it had something to do with the volume of shot in relation to the diameter of the barrel and the density and diameter of the pattern at a specified distance (obviously the 28 is not as dense but it has the same diameter as the 12). May not be scientifically exact (although the guy is a heart surgeon) but I do know that I personally do not shoot a 20 as well as I do the other two.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #47
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag 96 View Post
Another reason is that some landowners donít like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also wonít let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because heís worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.
Had the same ordeal in Crystal City, we did not know some of the folks on the far end of a field and they trashed the place. They were asked to leave that evening.

I have been looking at 28 ga for a while. I like the 26" barrel over the 28". Just aint talked myself into dropping the coin on one yet.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #48
johnpaul
Ten Point
 
johnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
20+ years ago I took a guy duck hunting that was shooting a 28 o/u with bismuth handloads. Myself and the other guy with us were shooting 20 o/u's with 3 inch steel loads, he outshot us 2/1. After he put the whooping on us he went into a theoretical lecture on how only the 12 and the 28 have what he called "true" patterns and that the 20 shoots a "bastar**" pattern, shortly thereafter I bought my first 28... I've never researched his theory but it had something to do with the volume of shot in relation to the diameter of the barrel and the density and diameter of the pattern at a specified distance (obviously the 28 is not as dense but it has the same diameter as the 12). May not be scientifically exact (although the guy is a heart surgeon) but I do know that I personally do not shoot a 20 as well as I do the other two.
Bismuth is a huge advantage over steel. You can choke it tight as hell and it holds a pattern very well at long distances. I shoot bismuth through a full choke. I am not exaggerating when I say I will take bismuth #5's out of a full choked 28 gauge over any 3" 12 gauge steel load. I've shot a ton of hevi shot out of 28 gauges also and after shooting roughly 1 case of bismuth this year I think I like it more than the hevi shot. With bismuth shotshells at 1/3 of the cost of hevi shot I think hevi shot is going to see a big decrease in their sub gauge ammo sales soon.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #49
CTR0022
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

thanks guys.

I am starting to lean towards an O/U. Even though i really like the Beretta A400. I just don't want to mess with finding shells while running and gunning upland birds.

I really like "hunting guns" i've never been a fan of bright shiny guns or felt the need to show a gun off. I'm hard on gear and really can't justify spending $2k plus on an upper end O/U that i know will get dinged and beat up.

The Beretta silver pigeon doesn't fit me, plus its silver receiver is a turn off for me.

The SKB 690 is silver is well, SKB has a 590 field, but doesn't look like its made in 28

I like the looks of the Rizzini BR110, just need to find a dealer that has one in stock to see how it feels/fits. yes its about a $2k gun but i don't mind spending the money if its the "gun" that fits me best and feels best.

The CZ drake is an option as well. Can you tell me more about the gun Swift?

Anyone have any experience with the Stevens 555 28 gauge, F.A.I.R. Pathos, or the IFG/F.A.I.R SLX 600 De Luxe Black?
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 PM   #50
CaprockRoamer
Four Point
 
CaprockRoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lubbock Co.
Hunt In: Anywhere I can get permission
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
thanks guys.

I am starting to lean towards an O/U. Even though i really like the Beretta A400. I just don't want to mess with finding shells while running and gunning upland birds.

I really like "hunting guns" i've never been a fan of bright shiny guns or felt the need to show a gun off. I'm hard on gear and really can't justify spending $2k plus on an upper end O/U that i know will get dinged and beat up.

The Beretta silver pigeon doesn't fit me, plus its silver receiver is a turn off for me.

The SKB 690 is silver is well, SKB has a 590 field, but doesn't look like its made in 28

I like the looks of the Rizzini BR110, just need to find a dealer that has one in stock to see how it feels/fits. yes its about a $2k gun but i don't mind spending the money if its the "gun" that fits me best and feels best.

The CZ drake is an option as well. Can you tell me more about the gun Swift?

Anyone have any experience with the Stevens 555 28 gauge, F.A.I.R. Pathos, or the IFG/F.A.I.R SLX 600 De Luxe Black?
Bought a Yildiz 28 from academy 4 years ago. Paid something like $400 out the door with a case of shells and a kick pad. Kick pad corrected the lop just right and the gun shoots where i look. With the aloy reciever its an awesome upland gun and has quickly become my favorite shotgun. I hunt everything with it from doves to cranes. The rio bismuth has made much of this possible as #6 steel is marginal at best on big ducks across a stock tank. It,ll kill right there at the decoys but the bismuth shot has extended my effective lethal range and improved my confidence in the round and gun.
CaprockRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com