2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Getting caught up on this thread and it looks like weak fishing was pretty common last week...
    Got back from three days at the Chandeleur Islands dodging thunderstorms and throwing everything in the book at 'em and had a hard time getting the fish, especially reds to eat. Didn't try live or dead bait, but what we caught was caught on stuff that had a good tolerance for grass... lots of floating grass during tide change. Last year, our group of 12 brought home 400 trout and 50 reds... This year the group of 6 brought home 32 trout and 2 reds!! I had 40+" reds almost swim between my legs and other pods of 4 to 10 fish swimming around of the most beautiful sand/grass flats I've ever seen. I just could not make 'em eat... The trout and reds I did catch were on the TroutSupport "Grasswalker" lures. Can't wait until our October trip when hopefully things will have cooled off a bit and the reds are acting hungry... Truthfully, I've never had a great trip in August there... Fish just don't seem to be hungry. We could have caught 13-15" dinks all the time if we wanted to chase birds/slicks out in the open bay... That's just not my style over there because good size fish are hard to come by fishing like that in that particular fishery... We wore the surf out, but only caught a couple of trout after miles of wading and chunkin'... BUT, like others have posted, still better'n workin'... like I'm back doing now...
    Man sounds like a tough trip!! I've never fished over there.... one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      That is a great pic! How skinny do you run that sled?

I know it will run skinnier but I’m always loaded down with kids and gear etc but 10-12” is no problem. It will beat you up in rough water though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
        I know it will run skinnier but I’m always loaded down with kids and gear etc but 10-12” is no problem. It will beat you up in rough water though.

Typical RFL. They made for skinny...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey can I play? Went fishing weekend before last, July 27-29. Trout mostly from the surf on topwaters and plastics, crab from West Matagorda Bay.

Edited out the buddies because they're not on TBH and I didn't ask to post them.

Nothing better than a crab boil at fish camp.

God bless America! (This pic is re-used, both wheelers and the truck bought from TBH classifieds )
          Last edited by justletmein; 08-07-2018, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Congrats guys on a great weekend!

Comment

Look out Poco! He's gonna be there with you in another 12.5'! First shark!! We caught 7 fish this morning before the beach got crowded. 2 lady fish. A shark. A catfish and 3 no clues.

Comment

Anyone heading to Crystal beach for surf fishing this weekend? Not sure how the water's going to be with possible storms rolling in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  Anyone heading to Crystal beach for surf fishing this weekend? Not sure how the water's going to be with possible storms rolling in.
                  I'll be close, on Matagorda. Last trip we slayed the trout in the surf, hoping the pattern is still there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                  I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    I'll be close, on Matagorda. Last trip we slayed the trout in the surf, hoping the pattern is still there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

It won't be there this weekend. I'll be in East Matagorda. Real good bite for me down there the last month.

Comment

Finally had enough service to post his pic!! First shark!!

Comment

Slow day for trout but the reds were thick. Got a tourney tomorrow, hope we can find some trout.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Slow day for trout but the reds were thick. Got a tourney tomorrow, hope we can find some trout.

Heck yea!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post

Congrats! Lots of fun there!
                            Good Luck tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post

Finally had enough service to post his pic!! First shark!!

Congrats to the young man!!

Comment

Found some hungry Reds yesterday, I can post a pic if SS needs me to, and I'm headed out in the morning for a 3 day cabin trip in the land cut. Will post pics and report when I get back. Reds were eating gold soft plastics yesterday.
                                Ya'll be safe out there!!

Comment

Working...
                                X