Load work up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load work up

OK need some advice. Have two different loads where the chrono and the targets dont match up. 100 yard shots

This load had an avg of 2872 FPS and SD 26.6
    Last edited by flyinstroke; 04-10-2018, 06:05 PM.

This load had AVG 2804 and SD 8.4

I guess the first thing I need to do is load them up again and retest to see what I get. What are some you guys doing when this happens or has it happened. I felt really comfortable and had a stable rest in the prone position through the ladder. Any thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I never take one days shooting as gospel on a load work up I can narrow it down to a couple but those couple get a few days. Using a vice is a blessing when developing a load as well. I am far from an expert but I do decent enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always let the paper tell me what I need to know even if the chrony doesn't agree but it has to be consistent after several range visits.

Comment

What was the ES of both loads? Is there a charge weight between those 2?

Comment

I would shoot both again from a good bench set up. IMO prone inflicts more shooter error into the results when the load is what you are testing.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              I would shoot both again from a good bench set up. IMO prone inflicts more shooter error into the results when the load is what you are testing.

I would agree with this. You would think prone would be more stable but you put less influence into the gun shooting from a seated position at the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I would agree with this. You would think prone would be more stable but you put less influence into the gun shooting from a seated position at the bench.

I had the gun in a vice. A cheap plastic vice but it was in a vice. I will repeat the test using the bench on the next go round, same vice, its all I have for now. I'll have to check my iPad for the ES. The loads were different charges. 43.3 was the spread group and good SD. 43.9 was the tight group. Both Varget.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                  I had the gun in a vice. A cheap plastic vice but it was in a vice. I will repeat the test using the bench on the next go round, same vice, its all I have for now. I'll have to check my iPad for the ES. The loads were different charges. 43.3 was the spread group and good SD. 43.9 was the tight group. Both Varget.

In my experience I personally shoot more accurate without using one of those sleds, vices whatever you want to call them. They just aren’t stable enough in my experience. When working up a load I typically shoot off a bench using a front bipod and a rear bag or a front bench rest style rest and a rear bag and let the rifle free recoil as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    In my experience I personally shoot more accurate without using one of those sleds, vices whatever you want to call them. They just aren’t stable enough in my experience. When working up a load I typically shoot off a bench using a front bipod and a rear bag or a front bench rest style rest and a rear bag and let the rifle free recoil as much as possible.

I wouldn't say that the Vice reduces recoil very much at all. When I go home for lunch I will snap a pic. I don't even know that I would call it a vice. It's more of a cleaning rack with adjustable feet. I have had pretty good luck with it. After some of my other loads I have created I use the bipod and rear bags and have been able to recreate the groups.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Comment

What chrono are you using?

Comment

What chrono are you using?

A cheap Caldwell. So I know that could be part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                          A cheap Caldwell. So I know that could be part of the problem.

Based on that I would go with group size over SD. If long range is your goal then let groups at longer ranges (300-500) tell you if velocity is consistent.

Comment

Based on that I would go with group size over SD. If long range is your goal then let groups at longer ranges (300-500) tell you if velocity is consistent.

I won’t take it past 500. That’s as far as I can get at the lease. I am going to load up 10 rounds of each charge again. I figured I would shoot 5 of each at 100 and 200 yards and see what happens. Most shots will be 100 at the lease but I have a few hog spots at home where I can 3 feeders and shots will be out to about 350-400.

Comment

That tight group will do just fine out to 400 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X