Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preliminary weights and FOC on GT Kaos arrows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 of the 125 screw in adapters and 3 of the 75 grain screw in adapters are hot melted in the 225 grain field points that match the weight of the BH's and the double (2) footings are epoxied to the front of the shafts/halfouts and waiting to dry. Tomorrow if, I have the time I will give finished weights and maybe even shoot the arrows to see what they do. Slowly but surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      3 of the 125 screw in adapters and 3 of the 75 grain screw in adapters are hot melted in the 225 grain field points that match the weight of the BH's and the double (2) footings are epoxied to the front of the shafts/halfouts and waiting to dry. Tomorrow if, I have the time I will give finished weights and maybe even shoot the arrows to see what they do. Slowly but surely.
      I'm watching this

Comment

I'll be ready to see what you think

Comment

Finished arrow weights with the halfouts epoxied in and the FP's just hot melted to the screw in adapter they came out at 779 grains (125 grain adapter) and 729 grain (75 grain adapter) and every arrow was withing 1 grain of being the same weight. Hopefully I will be able to shoot them tomorrow to see what they do.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how they shoot

Comment

Update.

Comment

Doing too much online work for the new teaching job I accepted on Monday. I am going to try and shoot them this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but my new job has to take priority.

Comment

Doing too much online work for the new teaching job I accepted on Monday. I am going to try and shoot them this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but my new job has to take priority.

Awesome just waiting lol

Comment

Preliminary weights and FOC on GT Kaos arrows.

I did some preliminary playing with some items today and this is what i came up with. Let me hear it from everyone on their thoughts. Hopefully I will get to shoot these next week. Only problem with the footings is, I have to install the 2" 2013 footing before I epoxy the halfout in as it will not fit over the fletchings or over the halfout due to the halfout being tapered out from the end of the shaft out. The short, black footing will fit over the halfout so no problem there.

I measured the entire length of the shaft and BH so the overall length I started with was 31 3/4" before I found the balance point of the arrow.

Here you go:

Gold tip Kinetic Kaos 200

Cut length 28” nock throat to end of shaft.

3 5” right wing feathers

Gold Tip Kaos nock

Aeronock Stainless halfout @51 grains

BH/point adapter by Tuffhead; 75 grains (short) and 125 grain (long)

Big Foot carbon arrow footing kit #3, using the long aluminum piece 1” in length, 11.5 grains

2013 aluminum footing 2” long, 17.8 grains

Tuffhead Right Single bevel 225 grain broadhead.

These components have not been glued or epoxied together, just dry fitted, weighed on a grain scale and tested for FOC with the BH on. Arrows are fletched and cut with the nock installed. Here are the preliminary results:

Arrow w/75 grain BH adapter and no footings: 697 grains, 16.92% FOC

Arrow w/75 grain BH adapter and double footings: 747 grains, 19.29% FOC

Arrow w/125 grain BH adapter and no footings: 727 grains, 18.5% FOC

Arrow w/125 grain BH adapter and double footings: 777 grains, 20.07 FOC

In all honesty, I do not like the looks of no footings or the single 2013 (gold) footing. I like the looks of the double footings (gold & black). The black footing fits all the way up to the rear of the broadhead and is snug on the 2013 shaft along with the 2013 being snug on the Kaos shaft.

The arrow weight of the 125 adapter and double footings puts me a little above the mark I was looking for while the 75 grain adapter puts me right in the middle of my target finished arrow weight.

Thoughts?

First pic is the whole arrow, 2nd is no footing, 3rd is the single and last is the double footing.

[ATTACH]728897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]728898[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]728899[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]728900[/ATTACH]

Go with the 779, Your not gonna need to calculate nothing at that weight. I'm goin above 800 when I build mine. But I wouldn't mind settling for 779.
                    Last edited by JW; 07-31-2015, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Go with the 779, Your not gonna need to calculate nothing at that weight. I'm goin above 800 when I build mine. But I wouldn't mind settling for 779.
                      Going to see what each one shoot like as the arrow will stay the same, they FP and screw in adapter will be the only thin that changes. With the 50 grain weight difference, the FOC and spine will change some and that will be the telling difference on how they shoot.

Comment

Shot the 729 grain Arrows a few times, but my bag target is not holding them very good. I have it hanging right next to the fence and I buried a couple in the fence and split one 1x6 when it hit. Arrows fly like darts and the bow is just deadly quiet. I am going to have to go with 4" feathers though as the very front of the feathers sit on the arm of my Limbdriver rest. It still draws without any noise, but I am not going to take a chance with something happening. 4" feathers should still control these suckers. Got to get a little more stuffing in my bag before I shoot thru the fence or break something. I think I am going to like 'em!

Comment

Sounds good, i know a few trad bow hunters that use 4- 2in feathers on 850+grain arrows with no problems. The better your tune the less the feathers will have to correct the shaft.

Comment

Shot the 729 grain Arrows a few times, but my bag target is not holding them very good. I have it hanging right next to the fence and I buried a couple in the fence and split one 1x6 when it hit. Arrows fly like darts and the bow is just deadly quiet. I am going to have to go with 4" feathers though as the very front of the feathers sit on the arm of my Limbdriver rest. It still draws without any noise, but I am not going to take a chance with something happening. 4" feathers should still control these suckers. Got to get a little more stuffing in my bag before I shoot thru the fence or break something. I think I am going to like 'em!

Four inch is plenty. I wouldn't even use shield just parabolic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                              Four inch is plenty. I wouldn't even use shield just parabolic.
                              That is what I will use.

Comment

I took my arrows back to have them re-fletched with 4" feathers as the 5" got into my rest arm before and during the draw. Not good.

But I did play with the chrono before I let them redo my arrows. Here are the calculations.

779 grain arrow @ 212 fps = 77.73 KE and 0.7333 Momentum

729 grain arrow @ 222 fps = 79.76 KE and 0.7186 Momentum

Thoughts?
                                One other little tidbit, these arrow made this bow dead, and I mean dead quiet!

Comment

Working...
                                X