Truckbed Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truckbed Rack

This is an old plumber's rack that my friends and I have modified to use for varmint hunting. Before adding the base this weekend the rack sat on the truckbed rails scratching the hell out of the truck. My question is we would like to have the hole thing sprayed with line-x to prevent rust. Does anyone know where I can have it done for a decent price around the fort worth area. I have called a few dealers in Cleburne and they have told me at least $250. I was thinking more along the lines of $100 since there isn't that much to spray.
    Attached Files

There isnt much to spray but lots of spray gets wasted because of the tubing being so small... If you want cheap.. Primer then spray paint black or whatever color.. if it gets scratched or something just touch it up.. Cheapest way to go.. maybe 20-30 bucks for spray paint.

Comment

I'd spray it with a couple cans of good, rustproof primer and then roll-on the bedliner you can buy a quart of at AutoZone. You should be able to do the job for less than $30. If you do the rails first, throw a handful of beach/ sandbox sand into the stuff to give you a little more grit where you stand. My only other advice would be sure to do the job out of doors- the bed liner not only gets you high from the solvent, it's probably ruining your liver as your body detoxifies itself.

Other suggestion would be to weld some "J" hooks on the top rail for places hunters can hand stuff- jackets, binoculars, etc. You could get fancy and drill/bolt a gun rack on the front so guys don't have to lean their guns in the corner when not shooting.

Beer can holders?
      Last edited by Bill; 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I have called all the LineX dealers in my area and after sending them pics of my rack they are all quoting around $500. So needless to say I will not be getting it sprayed down with LineX anytime soon.

Instead I will use your suggestions on priming it and using rust o leom spray paint. I am also going to put pipe insulation on the top rails for softer gun rests, two camoflauge folding boat seats and another seat set up about 3 feet higher than the top rails for the spotlighter. I will post pictures when I am finished.

Thanks again.

Comment

I found the Krylon flat camo paints work better, and dry faster than Rustoleum. I'd prime with grey primer, and then roll-on the bed liner- that would give the metal a better, no-slip surface than paint alone. I think you could use Krylon camo paint on top of that to break up the solid black of the bed liner.

Post pics when you're done.

Comment

I suggest Ospho (http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm). My brother and I welded a tool box together for our tractor using 1/8" rusted plate. After we built the tool box we sponged on a good coat of Ospho, and to this day there is NO sign of rust. Hell, it worked so well that we never even painted it. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

SS

P.S. You can purchase Ospho at a local painting supply..

Comment

Great info on the Ospho product, it 'phosphates' the metal. Thanks.

Comment

There is a lot of waste in spraying a project like that. I bought 24 gallons of that stuff from Speedliner products with the gun for $1500.00. I can see where they would want to charge you atleast $250.00.

Comment

First, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I have completed the rack. I bought a product called raptor at English paint for $120 it comes with 4 canasters of bedliner, hardener and a spray gun. It didn't work exactly the way I wanted it to but it accomplished my main goal which was to cover the expanded metal floor to make it queit and prevent rust. I will post pictures in a couple of days as soon as I can get my hands on a camera.

Comment

Working...
                  X