Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! Always exciting checking a trapline

Comment

Got another today. Have 3 traps set but only one is producing. Had coons all over one feeder for months and now they won't even show up since I set the traps.

Comment

My son got his 1st coon with his Z traps this weekend. He was grinning from ear to ear. LOL! Funny thing is he set some by the protein feeder & none even payed attention to them. Hopefully he finds the right bait on the next trip.

Comment

Way to go guys!!! Congrats on the catches!

Whirwind, congrats on the traps brother, and those snares with the spring loaded cams work great , the ones I have used have the QK cams but are not spring backed

Comment

Headed out to the shop after more coffee to make some DP anchors and tune the remainder of my traps.

Anyone that needs a few DP anchors or pointers is welcome to come out..

Comment

I'm just trying to get my fur shed cleaned out lol

Comment

Lol...I wish I had to clean mine out...m

I have to build it!!!

Comment

Just butchered and froze two axis bucks and kept a giant bag full of fat and scraps to bait with this coming season for coyote sets.

Any tips from you guys on using deer meat to trap?

When to use it? What gland/urine/bait (if any) to use it with

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                    Just butchered and froze two axis bucks and kept a giant bag full of fat and scraps to bait with this coming season for coyote sets.

Any tips from you guys on using deer meat to trap?

When to use it? What gland/urine/bait (if any) to use it with

That's a good question brother, but if you intend on using it this season you had better get to work on it NOW!!

But in honest your question is over my head when it comes to mixing gland and urines..

So I give you this!!

Everything you ever wanted to know about making baits!!

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt..._Urine_Archive

Comment

Hey tuff, what are the rules and regs on trapping a river? I think I can get access to a couple spots down here on the brazos but was just curious on what I'd need.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                        Hey tuff, what are the rules and regs on trapping a river? I think I can get access to a couple spots down here on the brazos but was just curious on what I'd need.
                        You will have to find a public access point or permission fro a property owner with river frontage.

The legal aspects will vary from Warden to warden but the law states the water is completely legal, and 50% of the gradient is also legal.

What that means, you have the existing water line and the normal high water line(Were vegetation begins to grow) so draw a imaginary line at 50% of that and its public property also..what that gives you is a few feet of bank on each side to set..

SOME people want to believe it is the Historical High water erosion line or the upper most bank, I would love that if it was true but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt my 3 area wardens will give you the 50% gradient rule as I described above.

Its a fine line and its best to use discretion to stay in good graces with your wardens and land owners.

My advice is pick a place that you want to trap and then find the warden that is working the area and speak with him about it and get his definition..

Your Warden for Washington county is Edward R Hines, and his contact info is 979-412-3140
                        Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                          That's a good question brother, but if you intend on using it this season you had better get to work on it NOW!!

But in honest your question is over my head when it comes to mixing gland and urines..

So I give you this!!

Everything you ever wanted to know about making baits!!

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt..._Urine_Archive
                          Thank you sir. I guess the question I should have asked is: Is it worth my time to use deer meat to toss in dirt hole sets as bait? And should I add a bit of coyote urine to the backing/set? That is how I was thinking about going about it.

Comment

You will have to find a public access point or permission fro a property owner with river frontage.

The legal aspects will vary from Warden to warden but the law states the water is completely legal, and 50% of the gradient is also legal.

What that means, you have the existing water line and the normal high water line(Were vegetation begins to grow) so draw a imaginary line at 50% of that and its public property also..what that gives you is a few feet of bank on each side to set..

SOME people want to believe it is the Historical High water erosion line or the upper most bank, I would love that if it was true but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt my 3 area wardens will give you the 50% gradient rule as I described above.

Its a fine line and its best to use discretion to stay in good graces with your wardens and land owners.

My advice is pick a place that you want to trap and then find the warden that is working the area and speak with him about it and get his definition..

Your Warden for Washington county is Edward R Hines, and his contact info is 979-412-3140

Perfect. Thanks a lot man

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                              Thank you sir. I guess the question I should have asked is: Is it worth my time to use deer meat to toss in dirt hole sets as bait? And should I add a bit of coyote urine to the backing/set? That is how I was thinking about going about it.
                              I'm going to regret this but here it goes.

Here is what I use a lot once season gets rolling Tainted Beaver meat

But you can use all kinds of meat.

I use a gallon jar and cube up the meat to small 1 inch pieces and add it into the jar with just enough water to cover it, then add the lid and let it rot just enough to were it starts to turn whiteish. Then I mix in the sodium benzoate to stop the rotting process (must add enough to coat all the meat) I also tend to add just enough beaver castor to give it a hint of castor smell.

Then I put the lid back on and begin to use it for bait, some skunk essence really is another great additive also..

As far as urine, I use a shot or two of it on every set, whether its coyote urine, fox or bobcat..

Comment

I'm going to regret this but here it goes...
                                What is there to regret? Is it that Mr. Love likes tainted beaver?

I ground up about 2 gallons of bobcat meat and let it taint for about 3 days. Then I added some Dobbins bait solution and it should be nice and ready for this year’s season....

I wouldn't throw out the deer if you already had it frozen....If you have a trail camera set it up over a fake dirt hole and put a chunk of the axis down the hole and see what happens.

last year i caught 2 coyotes in dirt hole sets with nothing else but a rabbit leg.

Comment

Working...
                                X