A deer's toughness and intelligence never ceases to amaze me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A deer's toughness and intelligence never ceases to amaze me

We got a call yesterday of a deer struck by a vehicle in the roadway. Public works had been standing next to this deer for about 15 minutes already. He was alive but couldn't stand up. My partner and I pull up and get out of the patrol vehicle and as we walk up to him, his back leg is clearly broken, his tongue is hanging out and he's struggling to breathe. I'm sure he's busted up pretty good on the inside. As we're walking up, he raises his head and sees us walking up, he stands up and hauls *** about 150 yards, jumps a fence and runs another 50 yards into the middle of a large yard and collapses. I'm thinking he just did his death run and he's finished. We drive over there, enter the yard, and as I get closer I can see he's really struggling to breathe now and one of his front legs is twisted up nasty too. Again, he raises his head as I get to within about 15 yards and as my Glock 17 clears my holster, he gets up on basically 2 legs, runs 100 yards into the woods, jumps a 4' fence and stumbles into the thicket. I firmly believe he knew we were the grim reaper and he just didn't want to go that way. Rather than chase him again into the woods, I just let nature take its course. They have to be some of the toughest animals on earth and I have a great deal of respect for them.

You are so right. Some of them fold like a cheap suit, but some of them have a great tenacity to live. One of God's most awesome creatures IMO.

Comment

They are tough

Comment

Saved you some paperwork as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I totally agree with you about their toughness and will to live.
          A human of equal weight could never endure the injuries, pain ,stress deer subject themselves too in the wild.

Comment

Yep they never cease to amaze me.

Comment

They are tough but I think pigs are tougher. I had a pig hitting one of my feeders years ago that was paralyzed in the back legs. He would leave drag marks all around the feeder. After about a month of seeing him on game camera, I finally caught up to him one night and I was amazed at how fast he ran after the shot with just his front legs and his back legs and butt dragging on the ground. No deer would have survived as long as this pig did in the wild with the same condition. I also shot a pig out west on public land that I didn't find. Two weeks later I was hunting the same area and shot and killed a pig. What I didn't realize until I was cleaning him was it was the same pig I shot two weeks prior. When I was gutting him I knew something was wrong and when I reached in to pull out the heart and lungs something poked my hand. It was about 3" of my broken arrow from the first shot two weeks prior. That shot entered just in front of his ham and the broadhead lodged in his offside shoulder. How that pig lived two weeks with a shot like that I have no idea.

Comment

I agree check out this game can pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	51171788198__667D6555-F8FB-4669-A4A9-08F5E7CF9791.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	24493381

Comment

We could learn alot from animals particularly when we feel sorry for ourselves or our situation.

Comment

Seen things over the years in the breeder business I would have never believed a deer to survive. Amazing animals with what they can endure and get over in a fairly short amount of time...

Comment

a friend of mine is a breeder in La. He had a wild buck come up to his pen, left antler broken at base and hanging down. He darted the buck and found the SKULL had broken under the antler base and he could see the deers brain.

His vet came out and they cut off the antler above the base, then removed the base and attached skull piece. The hole was 2"X2" large, skull plug in two pieces. He and the vet decided that instead of putting the buck down they would "repair" the break. They superglued the skull pieces back in, sewed up the skin, gave it antibiotics and put it in a pen. The buck lived, shed the antler base, and grew a natural shaped antler the next season!!!!!

Comment

The will to live is a powerful one.

Comment

Originally posted by tim21877 View Post
                          We could learn alot from animals particularly when we feel sorry for ourselves or our situation.
                          Yep

Comment

Originally posted by tim21877 View Post
                            They could learn a lot from us too...
                            ...like when a vehicle is coming at you on a road.... get the **** out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              They could learn a lot from us too...

...like when a vehicle is coming at you on a road.... get the **** out of the way.

Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X