Welding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding question

Building a cart for my primo large oval and want to use these casters. Assume I need to just weld an end cap then weld the nut on? Probably would drill a hole so I don’t have to cut the bolt down. Am I missing any easier way?

Also the nut is zinc. Will that weld ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got it as easy as it gets go for it

Comment

Seems that way.

Tell me about that table. I need something that will fold and get out of the way when not using it. Current plastic sawhorses and plywood aint as good for welding as woodworking

Comment

Zink will weld fine, just drink a glass of milk before welding it.

Comment

Drill the hole, weld nut on back side. Much cleaner look. The nut is probably just coated. I try to grind the coating off first, but it will still weld, just more splatter and fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Seems that way.

Tell me about that table. I need something that will fold and get out of the way when not using it. Current plastic sawhorses and plywood aint as good for welding as woodworking
            Eastwood sells a couple nice folding tables. Would at least give you an idea of how they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
              Eastwood sells a couple nice folding tables. Would at least give you an idea of how they do it.
              thanks!

I got a birthday coming up

Comment

Your on the right track.

Just weld the nut up hot. The zink will pop off. Start a bolt just a couple of threads into the nut. That will help keeo the spatter out. But dont go to far in. Or you may have problems getting the bolt out. Go just a couple of htreads i . When your done, put a little lube on a clean bolt and run it in. Most nuts loose a tiny bit of roundness. And the lube will help the bolt right through. Then take the bolt out and install the caster.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. That is just a harbor fright table by the way but it suits my needs. Fold flat and goes to the shed when I’m done.

Comment

The fumes from the zinc, are the same fumes that make you sick from welding galvanized material (rich in zinc)

The vapor is damaging to your lungs. I've always been told to drink buttermilk, but a few years ago went ahead and invested in a respirator that fits under my hood.

Miller® LPR-100 Half Mask Respirator (Medium/Large) ML00895The Miller® ML00895 Half Mask Respirator filters 99.97 percent of welding fumes and mists. The replaceable P100 filter cartridges have an assigned protection factor (APF) of 10 and effectively remove airborne particles and oil aerosols, hazardous solid dust par

Money well spent for peace of mind.

Comment

Have a fan blowing on it, blowing fumes away from you!

Comment

The nut is not zinc, it may be zinc plated, if so, use a sanding wheel and sand off the zinc, it will weld much better.

As for how you can do that. You could get some thicker steel, such as 1/2" cut out a square, that will fit up in the bottom, then drill and tap that piece. Then weld that piece up in the bottom of the square tubing. The other way, would be to get a piece of 1/8" steel, drill a hole larger than the bolt, clean the metal and nut with a sanding wheel, then weld the nut to one side of the pieces of steel. Then put the 1/8" plate on the bottom of the square tubing.

If you had a mill, you could make a plug for the bottom of the square tubing, drill and tap the plug. The weld the plug in the bottom. Not knowing how much weight it needs to hold, I can't say how deep the threads should be. But I would want at least 3/8" deep threads at the minimum, 1/2" would be better.

Comment

The nuts welded on easy enough. I just held my breath and tacked them on 2 sides. The load is only 150lbs and I only intend to move the cart a few times a year for pressure washing.

My welding sucks and I need to upgrade to a better machine but I got it all done in one day.

Comment

You know what kind of wood that table top is? Firewood, or at least that's what it turn in to once that grill is good and hot

Comment

If you can find a washer,weld the nut to the backside,then weld the washer to the leg. Put another nut on the bolt before you screw it into the leg to be able to level it.

Comment

Working...
                              X