Who has a metal building/ shop/barn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a metal building/ shop/barn?

And do you have problems with condensation? I'm getting ready to have a metal building built and I'm trying not to spend a fortune. I don't have plans of a ridge vent, and I'm only planning to insulate the roof but I don't want to have condensation issues. I'm planning to discuss this tomorrow with the guy that is building it but thought I would get halls opinion.

I will say this, currently my boat is in storage, metal building not sealed very well at all with a crushed rock floor, and in the morning everything seems to be damp. I think the boat itself is sweating. I'm hoping when I get my building built this won't happen.

Not me
    But then again I live in west Texas.

Comment

You will have to vent it somewhere and the ridge vent is the most efficient.

Comment

I used to get condensation bad at certain times of the year. I installed 2 ceiling fans in each of the barns and seldom get condensation anymore. The only condensation I will get now is right in front of the doors on the concrete. I run the fans year round.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
          I used to get condensation bad at certain times of the year. I installed 2 ceiling fans in each of the barns and seldom get condensation anymore. The only condensation I will get now is right in front of the doors on the concrete. I run the fans year round.
          So the only ventilation is just running some ceiling fans? No ridge vent or anything? Are the fans residential type or the huge shop kind? Do you have any insulation?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
            Not me
            But then again I live in west Texas.
            No insulation or vents?

Comment

I have one uninsulated that does have condensation problems. The other 2 are insulated with no issues. None have fans or vents

Comment

I live in Richmond and have a 30'x50' metal building and have no insulation or vents and have never had a problem with condensation. I have what I believe is a radiant barrier in the ceiling, it's a thin layer of plastic, 1/8" or so, white on the expose side. Not sure if that is having an impact on preventing condensation.

I've read comments about folks saying an uninsulated metal building will have condensation issues, but I have not experienced this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                  I have one uninsulated that does have condensation problems. The other 2 are insulated with no issues. None have fans or vents
                  Originally posted by JES View Post
                  I live in Richmond and have a 30'x50' metal building and have no insulation or vents and have never had a problem with condensation. I have what I believe is a radiant barrier in the ceiling, it's a thin layer of plastic, 1/8" or so, white on the expose side. Not sure if that is having an impact on preventing condensation.

I've read comments about folks saying an uninsulated metal building will have condensation issues, but I have not experienced this at all.

Thanks guys. This is what I was hoping to hear.

Comment

40X100 in Rockport. On really humid days (foggy) I'll get a little bit on the ceilings. Floors get wet too, even though there is a moisture barrier under slab. Have ridge vents installed. I might have to try the fans!

Comment

Yes, and yes. I run a dehumidifier in the winter to prevent rust.

Comment

I have ridge vents and gable vents. I have the 72 inch fans with 9 blades from Lowe's. They were around $300 each. I have no insulation in the barns and I keep the fans on 24/7.

Comment

I live in Southeast Texas, 24 x 36 metal building on slab, ridge vent, no insulation, when we have our temperature swings of low 40's for day or two, then back to the high 70's or more, i get horrible condensation. My Harley was getting surface rust on the chrome pieces, so I had to move it to the attached garage, which is insulated (zero condensation there)

Comment

Spray Urethane foam insulation on walls and roof and be done with condensation wind dirt bugs metal popping noises and hot summer days .
                            Cost is about 1$ per sq surface ft but worth every penny.

Comment

Hmmm well so we have some conflicting experiences, seems like insulated or non insulated and vented or non vented does not seem to matter. So I wonder what makes one have condensation problems and the next one not?

Comment

Working...
                              X