Chaparral WMA - Javelina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral WMA - Javelina

Has anyone been? My dad and I are two east Texas boys who have never even seen one and have no experience with them... we were told to feed the roads with corn then drive back around. Looking for any advice and help. Has anyone been to the Chaparral WMA and know which compartments are the best? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you corn the senderos (roads), they will come. Javis are in all of Chap. Bring orange. I will be down there this weekend.

Comment

Were you drawn or going standby?

Comment

Their fast and stinky, read up on their glands, I mounted mine, excellent mount.
        good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
          Were you drawn or going standby?

I was drawn

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            If you corn the senderos (roads), they will come. Javis are in all of Chap. Bring orange. I will be down there this weekend.

Awesome my dad and I will be in a silver f250

Comment

Javalina are the perfect spot and stalk animal. They were made to be bow hunted. Eye sight not very good but they can pick up on movement very well. So try and use the brush as much as possible as you move in. Use the wind and hunt into it.

But just like you mentioned above. Feed the roads and check back on them. They will move all day as long as there's bait out. Good luck, their fun to hunt. Don't forget your range finder too.

Comment

North Rosindo and South Jay are my favorites. They are on the east side of the WMA.

The reason I asked if you were drawn is we used to go every year on standby and always got a decent size pasture and a high success rate. However, since warthogs showed up the number of people showing up for standby has gotten crazy and the last 2 times we went we got a 75 acre compartment for 2 guys and didn't see any javelina. We haven't gone in a few years because of this.

Since you were drawn you will have a decent size compartment and first pick of compartments.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  North Rosindo and South Jay are my favorites. They are on the east side of the WMA.

The reason I asked if you were drawn is we used to go every year on standby and always got a decent size pasture and a high success rate. However, since warthogs showed up the number of people showing up for standby has gotten crazy and the last 2 times we went we got a 75 acre compartment for 2 guys and didn't see any javelina. We haven't gone in a few years because of this.

Since you were drawn you will have a decent size compartment and first pick of compartments.

Oh wow I didn’t realize there were warthogs there. I’ll have to remember those compartments for when we go.

Comment

Ken is right in saying that these hunts have gotten pretty crazy down there. I have stopped going for SB hunts as well as the number of hunters have gotten crazy high. The Warthogs are isolated on the west side of the Chap. At least two or three have been killed every year for the last four years or so, but they aren't just running around everywhere.
                    Last edited by 44mAG; 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

If you shoot a Javelina, let it lay for a while and then flip it on the other side. This will let some of the flea's get off!! Did I say fleas! Have a great hunt.

Comment

I corn a 4 way as far as you can see. Sit in lawn chair with radio. When they come out just stalk them. They won’t leave once they find corn. You ain’t gotta get out there early. I’d hunt from about 9a to 5p. Corn 2 places like this and walk back and fourth between the two spots. Good lawn chair is about most important

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I corn a 4 way as far as you can see. Sit in lawn chair with radio. When they come out just stalk them. They won’t leave once they find corn. You ain’t gotta get out there early. I’d hunt from about 9a to 5p. Corn 2 places like this and walk back and fourth between the two spots. Good lawn chair is about most important
                          This is how we do it also, minus the radio. Keep the breeze in your face, and move slowly once you get to about 50 yards. If they take off, sit still for a while. Many times they will come right back out. I love hunting them, my favorite animal to hunt by far. Get them quartered quickly and in a cooler and they eat pretty good. Sausage, tamales are excellent. If you want to get your blood pumping. After you shoot one, or scare them and they scatter. Get on a predator call and blow it as load as you can ( a lot of excitement in the calling) but have some one with you ready to shoot, as if they come, they are ****** and ready to fight. Teeth clacking and huffing like crazy. Only thing is, after doing this it seems like the majority of the time, that heard will avoid that area for a period of time. And oh yea, they have a lot of fleas, but truly the perfect animal to just have a great time with buddies, hunting.

Comment

Well it was a complete success! We got checked in. Excellent staff! My dad and I were the first ones able to choose our compartment assignments. We ended up choosing the North side of West Blocker. The first evening we split up. He on one sendero and I on another in lawn chairs. I sat and watched deer about 700yards down the entire afternoon. Until about 5:30 a group of 15 javelinas came out about 300 yards away and I stalked down and closed the distance to about 125 yards and let the .270 bark. Dropped him in his tracks. Field dressed him and weighed in at 39lbs.

Next morning my dad and I set up on my sendero again. About 9:30 one single javelina came in and my dad stalked him to 75 yards and dropped him. He field dressed at 30lbs on the nose.

Will say these things are easy to hunt and stalk. My dad and I parked the truck sideways the second morning in the sendero and sat in the back of the truck bed drinking coffee and talking and looking through binocs the entire morning.

Comment

I'm at a hog/predator hunt at James Daughtery WMA and I'm covered with these little suckers. They shop vac my corn before I can even get into my blind. I tell ya these little suckers can eat corn!

Comment

Working...
                              X