For the muzzle loader guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the muzzle loader guys

Can I sight it in at 25 yards and feel confident that it will have same point of impact at 100 yards like I can with a centerfire rifle?

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
    Can I sight it in at 25 yards and feel confident that it will have same point of impact at 100 yards like I can with a centerfire rifle?
    No, I don't think that will work for a muzzleloader. Even with the new(er) inlines, the drop is not going to be the same as with a centerfire at all. The only way to truely know what your gun will do is to decide on what powder load and bullet you are going to use, then sight it in to what you think your "longest" shot will be and sight in for that.

Comment

I sight in at 75 yards with my 54 hawkins

Comment

In my experience, no. I don't find it to hold true even on centerfire rifles, too many variables.

Comment

That doesn't work for either muzzle loader or a rifle. But, especially not a muzzle loader.

Comment

Too many factors, Powder, Bullet, Barrel, conditions at the time of sighting in.
            Wouldn't risk it.

Comment

Russ, id download the Nikon app and enter in your bullet, powder charge etc and it will give you a pretty good idea. Here’s the report for mine. The path is what the bullet is actually doing.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                In my experience, no. I don't find it to hold true even on centerfire rifles, too many variables.

Exactly. It will get you close at 100 but you really need to shoot it at 100 to get it fined to the last couple inches to have a true zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                  Russ, id download the Nikon app and enter in your bullet, powder charge etc and it will give you a pretty good idea. Here’s the report for mine. The path is what the bullet is actually doing.
                  This, but verify by shooting at 100 yards.

Comment

I always verify at 100 yards, just wanted to save a few steps checking point of impact while dialing it in.

Comment

No, you’re just setting yourself up for failure.

Even with a modern centerfire rifle, you’re wise to shoot and verify at all ranges. This is not only a confirmation but it is also a all important confidence builder that you can’t shoot as well without.

Comment

Let me make myself clear...I don't sight in at 25 and call myself good at 100 without shooting it. I was told years ago, and have proven it to be a pretty well correct, that at 25 yards the point of impact when the bullet is on its upwards arch will impact at 100 yards at the same place on its downward arch. When I put a new scope on a gun I have always first tried to get it relatively close to where I want it at 25 yards then shoot at 100 to fine tune. I was just wondering if muzzle loaders worked in a similar fashion.

Comment

negative

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                            Let me make myself clear...I don't sight in at 25 and call myself good at 100 without shooting it. I was told years ago, and have proven it to be a pretty well correct, that at 25 yards the point of impact when the bullet is on its upwards arch will impact at 100 yards at the same place on its downward arch. When I put a new scope on a gun I have always first tried to get it relatively close to where I want it at 25 yards then shoot at 100 to fine tune. I was just wondering if muzzle loaders worked in a similar fashion.
                            It will be close good luck!

Comment

All 3 of mine are dead on at 25 and again at 100 or as close as I can shoot with open sights

Comment

Working...
                              X