No announcement yet.

School me on the Nosler family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Applied Ballistics with 3,000fps MV.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
      And you expect to ethically kill and find the animal...Wow
      My statement was only in referance to 1000y..HIT in kill zone..On paper is one thing at a range ....under Hunting conditions????..Thats the WOW...

As for right caliber bullet BC and and all that I know not ... Beyond 40y with my bow /crossbow would be a Hale Mary..and beyond 400y with my 260 rem would be another HM..so I would never shoot...Not that the gun is incapable just aint worth the chance of crippling and loseing that beautiful animal..and all that meat...

Its hard enough to find where a deer was standing when the bullet hit it..at 100y to start trailing the blood,to recover the animal..Can't even imagine finding that spot 1000y away so that would be another HM for me..

Comment

Edit:
        That was a 28 Nosler with 195 Bergers. It has plenty of energy even at 1,000 but so does your 6.5SAUM, 300Win Mag and 300 Norma

Comment

My statement was only in referance to 1000y..HIT in kill zone..On paper is one thing at a range ....under Hunting conditions????..Thats the WOW...

As for right caliber bullet BC and and all that I know not ... Beyond 40y with my bow /crossbow would be a Hale Mary..and beyond 400y with my 260 rem would be another HM..so I would never shoot...Not that the gun is incapable just aint worth the chance of crippling and loseing that beautiful animal..and all that meat...

Its hard enough to find where a deer was standing when the bullet hit it..at 100y to start trailing the blood,to recover the animal..Can't even imagine finding that spot 1000y away so that would be another HM for me..

Just because you can’t doesn’t mean you should tell other people not to. Your comment came off as negative and unneeded. If you didn’t intend it to be that way then no big deal

If you did, maybe just keep it to yourself next time and keep scrolling…

I shoot long distance quite a bit as well as hunt. There are several other guys on here that I would bet money could make that shot. Those that know their craft and practice it regularly have no problem making that shot with the proper equipment.

Just a thought.

Let’s get back to ballistics [emoji16]

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Sorry Charlie what does( WOW) mean to you??? I was Impressed..

I never said (Don't do it)..I gave my personal limits not intend to be for anyone else ...or be the law of the land!

Comment

Thanks for the educated input, Guys! Looks like the 28 Nosler will do what I need, with less recoil and possibly better downrange ballistics. For all those wondering about accuracy, I’m at the range now, raining, 45 degrees with a 1/2 value 15 mph wind. Granted, I’m shooting from a bench, but I wouldn’t take a long shot hunting without a stable rest. This is a 3 shot group at 500 with the 300 win mag:

This is a life size whitetail vital at 700 yards, same gun:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fyi

If you hand load 300 win mag will do everything the 28 nosler will.
                You can get a 195 Berger going 3100 fps with Vitavouri powder

I'm not trying to talk you out of a new rifle but...

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                  Fyi

If you hand load 300 win mag will do everything the 28 nosler will.
                  You can get a 195 Berger going 3100 fps with Vitavouri powder

I'm not trying to talk you out of a new rifle but...
                  I appreciate the input! My 300 win mag is built as a range gun (heavy chassis, heavy scope, etc), so using that for hunting is out. And I already have all the parts for a new gun except the barrel, and really want something new, cartridge wise.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                    I appreciate the input! My 300 win mag is built as a range gun (heavy chassis, heavy scope, etc), so using that for hunting is out. And I already have all the parts for a new gun except the barrel, and really want something new, cartridge wise.

Go for it!

Comment

I had a 7LRM built before the 26 Nosler was introduced. If I were building again, I would look into the 7 Dakota or 28 Nosler. I wish the Nosler had a little more neck but it is good enough I guess.
                      I really like the 7 Long Range Hunter that is based off of 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua. However, it requires a .588 bolt face.

Comment

Sorry Charlie what does( WOW) mean to you??? I was Impressed..

I never said (Don't do it)..I gave my personal limits not intend to be for anyone else ...or be the law of the land!

Clearly that’s not how several people read it is all I was pointing out. People can’t read tone as you know. No need to get worked up all is good.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                          I had a 7LRM built before the 26 Nosler was introduced. If I were building again, I would look into the 7 Dakota or 28 Nosler. I wish the Nosler had a little more neck but it is good enough I guess.
                          I really like the 7 Long Range Hunter that is based off of 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua. However, it requires a .588 bolt face.

Interesting. Never heard of the 7LRH.

I'll do some research. I'm due for a new stick.

Comment

Been looking for the exact same gun as you mentioned in your OP. I do not yet have the long range experience yet and won’t take the shot until I do, but I am looking forward to practicing. Here is a article I found on the 30 Nosler. Probably much less technical than the info you are looking for, but possibly helpful none the less.

Do we really need another .300 magnum cartridge? Nosler sure seems to think so, and its 30 Nosler outperforms the .300 Win. Mag.

Carry on, enjoying the convo

Comment

I've long been a fan of heavy high BC 7mm boolets at 3000 fps or a tad faster. That's why I've been very intrigued by the 28 NOS and 7mm APR.

I've recently started to cultivate an appreciation for the 30 NOS. It splits the gap between the fast 7's and big 338's. It's also between a 300wm and RUM. If I already had either of them it would be done. To me, you lose a little steam over the rum but don't have to deal with the cartridge length in the magazine.

A 210-220 grain high bc 30 at 3000 would be nasty on game as would a 180-195 from a fast 7.

Just a little food for thought.

Comment

If strictly hunting then the 28 Nosler is a great choice. Barrel life is short but you obviously plinking with it. Once you get it completed be sure to post some pictures up

Comment

Working...
                                X