Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell the sex of a deer by its droppings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bish View Post
    Buck droppings are more clumped together where doe poop is more like rabbit droppings, this is what I was always told.

God Bless

Bish

I’ve heard this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TK & Mike could....

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        90% of the people on this site, myself included sometimes, can't tell the difference between a 3y/o and a 7 y/o on the hoof, a nubbin and a doe at 30yds, a 175# pig and a 350# pig and misjudge a 150" buck to be 245", etc, etc.....now you want them deciphering ****?
        Drops mike and walks away

I don't believe you can tell difference in buck vs doe poop any more than I believe you can tell a buck track from a doe track.
        Unless in either case you observed deer that was pooping or leaving the track

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          TK & Mike could....

Loved those guys

Comment

I always believed that the clumped up dropping were deposited after they got up from bedding

Comment

90% of the people on this site, myself included sometimes, can't tell the difference between a 3y/o and a 7 y/o on the hoof, a nubbin and a doe at 30yds, a 175# pig and a 350# pig and misjudge a 150" buck to be 245", etc, etc.....now you want them deciphering ****?
              That's funny I don't care who you are

Comment

Heard the same thing at a tyhp hunt. Then he reached down and grabbed a few "pellets" and said that buck droppings were bitter as he tossed them in his mouth. It was a joke just to gross the kids out. Unfortunately, he didn't get it out in time and this girl reached down and tried some for herself.

The huntmasters had a handful of black beans that he ate. The little girl, who had a potty mouth, had a mouthful of poop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Next time yall kill a buck and a doe, compare their droppings in their colon.

As far as I know the size of the droppings is indicative of size of the animal. The consistency has more to do with what they have been consuming. Real green or rich food will make their poop stick together or clump and be softer.

Comment

Well, that's the end of that discussion. I couldn't agree more. There are guys that swear they can tell the difference between buck and doe tracks. Those same guys bring in a yearling spike that "was a doe" at 50 yards through a scoped rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      Drops mike and walks away

I don't believe you can tell difference in buck vs doe poop any more than I believe you can tell a buck track from a doe track.
                      Unless in either case you observed deer that was pooping or leaving the track
                      X2! A guy on our lease can tell buck tracks from doe tracks, because buck tracks have dew claws.[emoji57] All deer have dew claws. I'll agree that bucks are usually heavier and make a deeper impression, but if the ground is soft, or it's a big doe, they can leave the same tracks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                        X2! A guy on our lease can tell buck tracks from doe tracks, because buck tracks have dew claws.[emoji57] All deer have dew claws. I'll agree that bucks are usually heavier and make a deeper impression, but if the ground is soft, or it's a big doe, they can leave the same tracks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                        This is always my favorite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny ****!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If this site would have been around many many years ago, I could have saved a lot of money getting my biology degree.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                              Buck droppings are saltier
                              This is possibly the greatest post EVER!!!!

Comment

The iron clad theory is a doe will drop it while walking so it tends to be scattered whereas a buck will stop and take care of business. That's why bucks scat tends to be more clumped or piled, and a doe is scattered and separated.
                                Heard the same theory but opposite. Buck doesn't stop walking when he craps leaving a trail of pellets, doe will stop and crap in one spot (small pile of pellets), going to have to watch closer to verify.

Comment

Working...
                                X