What saltwater tackle ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son is stationed in Florida and is doing a lot of fishing...Poor Guy !!!

He's fishing from piers , the beach and from some sea walls. For Christmas I would like to get him fixed up on tackle. I have no idea what to use for saltwater fishing. They usually use bait, mostly shrimp.

what tackle do I need to buy to get to help get him stocked up ???

Gift certificate to this place if he's a die hard

Comment

What part of Florida? When I was stationed there I killed the reds on a gold spoon and the trout on popping corks with a DOA shrimp under

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Redlabels View Post
        What part of Florida? When I was stationed there I killed the reds on a gold spoon and the trout on popping corks with a DOA shrimp under
        He's in Pensacola.

They've been catching reds on shrimp lately. I have no idea what they he needs or what I should get but I know a lot of you guys on here fish saltwater and would have some ideas.

Comment

Any idea what he catches? That may dictate the size of the rod, reel, line, and terminal tackle. It's usual to catch smaller, sea-trout sized fish from shore, while there is always the chance of getting into bigger fish like kingfish and tarpon off some piers.

Generally speaking, if he is fishing on foot rather than a boat, longer rods are preferred because you can cast farther. In a boat (and on a pier, notably) it is more common to use short rods as you drop the bait straight down rather than casting it.

Comment

Can't beat a good spinning reel on a 7 foot medium action rod. I use a shimano currado on a 7 ft pooping rod on the cost and it works great. Popping corks like a Mansfield mauler, some 30 lbs flouro leader line, barrel swivels, split shot weights, kahle or treble hooks, a few top dogs, and a few gold and silver spoons. Pretty much covers all ya need for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok just saw your post about redfish and Pensacola.

A quick google search turned up this gem of a guide on exactly this area, including tackle suggestions and intel on the various piers in the area!

Comment

Shimano Stradic 2500 and a 7 foot popping rod would be my suggestion. depending on budget on what rod you get. I like one piece rods but not sure of his vehicle situation. Another option if he has a truck is one of the stainless upright rod holders for the bed of his truck. Rods/Reels sit at about 45 degrees facing backwards. Leaves most of the bed open for coolers and other stuff.

Comment

They're pretty restricted on storage so he leaves his rods at a buddy's house.
                  He has a couple of rods that he picked up from guys deploying. I think they're cheap ones but he says they work. He's just wanting a tackle box of goodies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Cajun Thunders, Gulp, skitterwalks, chicken boys. Put them in a nice tackle storage bag and sounds like a good gift to me.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Cajun Thunders, Gulp, skitterwalks, chicken boys. Put them in a nice tackle storage bag and sounds like a good gift to me.
                      Sounds good. I'll look into these, some weights, hooks(circle???) popping corks....any other suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Redlabels View Post
                        A cajun rattling cork with a DOA Shrimp under is a deadly combo fishing inshore waters.

From piers spoons and jerk jiggers are better.

Comment

Check out this thread and get Poco to tell you where to get what he used to catch the pompano. I had never seen those lures. You can tip them with shrimp or sand fleas. Can do the same with jigs.

I have never seen corky(?) lures and meant to try to find some to buy when I was in Texas last Summer but forgot to look. You might get him some of those.

Maybe some thing pre-rigged for fishing under a popping cork.

Thank him for his service!

Comment

Can't go wrong with gold and silver spoons and white gulp shrimp on a jighead or under a popping cork

Comment

I don't know what most of this stuff is, but the search is on.

Keep the ideas coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X