Big Slough Wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
    I grew up hunting big slough wilderness myself. I went in there last weekend of bow season and checked a camera and hung two more... Went back opening weekend of rifle season and my first creek crossing that was dry was now about 8 feet deep. So I found a tree to walk and ended up on what I know would be an island. Did some slow easy walking through there and saw a few deer. I came to another creek and luckily had a huge tree going over it. So I crossed it too. I never was able to get back to my cameras. Last year I lost two that went under water. I took my nephew out there last weekend and was going to try to get back to the island where I saw some the weekend before and my first tree crossing was now under water. We sat at the creek that morning and never saw anything. Lots of duck hunters in there area. Went back to the truck about 9:30 and two guys hunting the fence line both shot deer. One was a really nice 9 point and the other a really old 6.

I will be back down there this weekend with chest waders! I am going to be getting back in there to my camera one way or another!
    My brother talked to you on 517 the other day when you came to try and check your cameras... we were in the black and blue Dodge trucks. He was telling me about what you said about the 2 bucks they shot last weekend there and when i read this post i put 2 and 2 together, small world haha..

Comment

Well another Slough trip has come and gone, no matter how many days we spent in those woods its never quite long enough for my liking... The bucks are definitely cruising, rut seems to be full on!

Friday evening had 7 does 3 bucks and a hog come by my funnel area. Absolutely the best hunt ive had all season.. had a 6 point come directly under the tree and pass by with a big buck behind him hung up in the brush. They smelled a rat and headed back the way they came with the big buck never offering a shot. Hung my bow up and said well this hunt is over, lol not 5 minutes later 3 does came by and an even bigger buck popped out the same trail and stopped broadside at 13yds with me at full draw. Being i shoot a 20 yd pin i aimed a touch low and apparently a little TOOOOOOOO low.. recovered my arrow and nothing but white hair and gristle, just a flesh wound! I was sick!! He was a huge bodied swamp buck 18-19 inches wide, heavy dark chocolate horned and just a stud of a buck. This is the 2nd good buck ive missed at the slough and im just shaking my head. Need to shoot more and practice practice practice! Heading back in December, hopefully i can seal the deal..

On a good note my brother dropped an 8 pt yesterday. Congrats Paul, what a fun hunt at my favorite East Texas grounds!!

Comment

Sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun. Im thinkin about trying my hand there. Never hunted the firrest so all new to me. Will i need a boat , arm floaties or what ? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
          My brother talked to you on 517 the other day when you came to try and check your cameras... we were in the black and blue Dodge trucks. He was telling me about what you said about the 2 bucks they shot last weekend there and when i read this post i put 2 and 2 together, small world haha..

When he said his brother was in a kayak I was curious if that was you. Lol Yeah no luck crossing the creek in chest waders either. Where do you launch your kayak? Just straight out the end of that road? I have thought about getting one just for that. Seems like that creek floods earlier every year.

Comment

Sending pm

Comment

Well another Slough trip has come and gone, no matter how many days we spent in those woods its never quite long enough for my liking... The bucks are definitely cruising, rut seems to be full on!

Friday evening had 7 does 3 bucks and a hog come by my funnel area. Absolutely the best hunt ive had all season.. had a 6 point come directly under the tree and pass by with a big buck behind him hung up in the brush. They smelled a rat and headed back the way they came with the big buck never offering a shot. Hung my bow up and said well this hunt is over, lol not 5 minutes later 3 does came by and an even bigger buck popped out the same trail and stopped broadside at 13yds with me at full draw. Being i shoot a 20 yd pin i aimed a touch low and apparently a little TOOOOOOOO low.. recovered my arrow and nothing but white hair and gristle, just a flesh wound! I was sick!! He was a huge bodied swamp buck 18-19 inches wide, heavy dark chocolate horned and just a stud of a buck. This is the 2nd good buck ive missed at the slough and im just shaking my head. Need to shoot more and practice practice practice! Heading back in December, hopefully i can seal the deal..

On a good note my brother dropped an 8 pt yesterday. Congrats Paul, what a fun hunt at my favorite East Texas grounds!!

Sounds like an awesome hunt. Glad he got him a buck. My plan B was to hunt that fence line if I could not get across the creek but I talked to them and he said they were hunting the fence line. When I came back out I just drove down the road a way and found a spot to walk in the woods and set up.

Comment

I like the telephone version better. Come on over whenever if you want to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                  I like the telephone version better. Come on over whenever if you want to shoot.
                  Haha, Lord knows i need it!! Started not to even post the fact i missed a stud at 13 yds, but hey i guess it can happen to anybody.. just extra incentive to get dialed in for my next opportunity. At least it wasnt a dern Booner right?!!

Comment

is it even possible to hunt this area without a boat or canoe?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                      is it even possible to hunt this area without a boat or canoe?
                      Its pretty flooded right now. i can't get into my normal spot that has 3 cameras in it... May be next summer before I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X