Scope ring screw stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope ring screw stuck

A buddy asked me to swap a couple scopes around for him. One is a Leupold VX3 6-20 (?) that has been on this old Model 7 223 since they bought it when he was a young teenager (40 now). The rear ring screws on this scope were stuck like Chuck! I put as much torque on it as I felt comfortable, to the point of twisting the Wheeler allen bit about 45 degrees.

How best to get it free? I'm thinking of taking a sacrificial bit and putting it in and torching it to hopefully break up any loctite on the threads. I did see some remnants of loctite on the front screw that came out.

Try a hair dryer or heat gun.

Comment

Most likely loctite eye dropper with acetone should work

Comment

Use a soldering iron with a small tip and penetrating oil

Comment

Drill the head off the screw and buy some new screws

Comment

I bought a new rifle last year and installed scope mounts then decided on a different scope so I had to swap out rings and bases to 30mm. Not only did two of the ring screws get stuck but one of the screws in the base got stuck too. I drilled the heads of the screws off then took it to a gun smith to get the receiver drilled and taped. No lock tite was used.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              Drill the head off the screw and buy some new screws
              This is the easiest method. Measure the diameter of one of the screws that did come out and use a drill bit the same size, drill only deep enough to remove the head and the rings will come apart.
              Buy new rings, or rather tell your buddy to buy new rings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I broke a Wheeler tip while trying to get a screw out so I bought a new tip. The new one was strong enough to get the screws out.

Comment

You can apply heat to see if it comes loose. A soldering iron works best. Acetone or penetrating oil to help break it. Worst case, drill the head off and take vise grips or lineman pliers, grab remaining screw and twist it out.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                    Use a soldering iron with a small tip and penetrating oil
                    Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                    You can apply heat to see if it comes loose. A soldering iron works best. Acetone or penetrating oil to help break it. Worst case, drill the head off and take vise grips or lineman pliers, grab remaining screw and twist it out.
                    So for my future reference...

I assume the soldering iron is used to heat the screw and the oil will do what oil does?? Obviously better than a torch or heat gun do to the small tip on the iron?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      So for my future reference...

I assume the soldering iron is used to heat the screw and the oil will do what oil does?? Obviously better than a torch or heat gun do to the small tip on the iron?

Torch is a no-no, but a heat gun works good because it heats up the screw and the ring to a good hot temp but not hot enough to damage anything.

Comment

Soldering iron will put heat directly to the point that needs it. Takes a little more time but better than heating up an action with torch and warping something

Comment

I usually use the bit that will go on a 1/4" ratchet

Comment

Y’all misunderstood my torch application. The torch heat would only be applied to the bit, transferring the heat directly to the screw head.

Comment

If the allen head is boogerd up a little, you can sub a tight fitting tore bit...tighter the better. Tap it in lightly with a mallet after applying heat &keep the downward pressure.

If this doesn't work, then I just go easy out bits...works the same way, you just gotta get it to bite. Replace all with torx heads.
                              Last edited by Artos; 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X