Tire tread coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire tread coming off

What causes tire tread to come off like this? Tire is not flat but the wire is showing. I noticed it at a gas station after driving all the way down 35 to Austin at high speeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cooper?

I don't know what causes it but I suspect poor craftsmanship

Could have been something you ran over that ripped a chunk out

Comment

What's the tread depth? Looks like they are worn and need replacing, even without this issue.

Comment

Tires don’t last forever. Looks like they are way past there prime and wore out. Only issue I see.

Comment

tire was spun over on top of something sharp, or that spot hung because it really looks like it was torn off, along with being run on rock that tire is in overall rough shape,,, i sure wouldn't be driving fast on it,,

it is not a defect

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
            tire was spun over on top of something sharp, or that spot hung because it really looks like it was torn off, along with being run on rock that tire is in overall rough shape,,, i sure wouldn't be driving fast on it,,

it is not a defect
            This! Sharp rocks will peel those lugs off.....especially on old hard tires.

Time for some new ones anyway.

Comment

you ran over something sharp.....time to replace it

Comment

Yes cooper.

It's not my daily driver it's just the ranch truck I don't know the tread depth

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post

it is not a defect

X3. Tire looks old and likely has likely broken down in the sun

Comment

I had Coopers that did something similar to this. Lugs were coming off and they were a year old or less. I switched brands after that and no more problems.

Comment

Old brittle rubber from the elements. Didn’t take much to break it off. Trailer tires are notorious for the same thing. Usually why you see them explode in pieces on the highway.

Comment

I was wondering if it was Cooper before I even opened the thread. I had front tire separate the entire tread cap on a set less than a year old. Did a lot of damage to the truck. Two weeks later the other front did the same thing......and tore up the other side of the truck. Weird feeling having a tire blow out violently and not finding it flat when you get pulled off the road. Haha. Glad you caught it before it really let go. No more Coopers for me.

Comment

I have had coopers before and didn't have any issues. I bought this truck used with the tires already on it. They looked really new when I got the truck, but I put 50K miles on them.

I have had michelin and goodyear tires loose the entire tread before without popping.

Now I am wondering if I should replace them all, two of them, or just the bad one. I considered changing sizes but don't know if a different size would look good on the truck. These are 295 70 17

Comment

Tires look worn out to me. I’d replace them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                              you ran over something sharp.....time to replace it
                              This. The tire itself doesn't look too bad, I have driven with way less tread before. On top of that, the little filler tube rubber is still on the tire. On old, weather worn tires, those fall off. All those little detail marks are still in the treads, which means plenty of tread depth. You def hit something sharp. I would replace just the one and figure out what you hit.

Comment

Working...
                              X