Hill country folks. Let's talk protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill country folks. Let's talk protein

What do you feed? Have you noticed an improvement? Antlers? Body? Both? What's the size of your place, how many feeders do you have and what's the consumption rate? And what do you pay per bag? Mason area.

I will start feeding protein this upcoming year in junction. In for results as well

Comment

We fed protein the last 5 years on a 80 acre property with lots of smaller neighbors. Ended up using it as more of an attractant vs improving the quality of deer. Our problem was once the axis found it they would drain 2 300lb feeders in only 2 weeks. Hard to justify the cost when it doesnt last long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

This was in the junction area

Comment

Lol @ 600 pounds in two weeks.

During the heat of the summer/dry conditions, the critters on our 460 acres were going through 2000 pounds in two weeks. Consumption rates did slow down some when we started feeding cottonseed along with protein. If your neighbors don’t feed, you’ll be feeding a lot of deer that live on neighboring properties that will end up disappearing in October. I think the best bang for your buck would be to feed cottonseed and supplemental mineral licks.

Comment

On my friend's place in Pipe Creek, it has made a huge difference. They empty his 800 lb feeder in about 10 days. Sure you feed neighbor's deer as well. But his daughter has killed three bucks over the last three years that were pushing or over 200 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post

During the heat of the summer/dry conditions, the critters on our 460 acres were going through 2000 pounds in two weeks. Consumption rates did slow down some when we started feeding cottonseed along with protein. If your neighbors don’t feed, you’ll be feeding a lot of deer that live on neighboring properties that will end up disappearing in October. I think the best bang for your buck would be to feed cottonseed and supplemental mineral licks.
              Yeah sometimes hunting on low fence properties, you will definitely be feeding your neighbors deer but it's part of it. I currently feed corn year round and most of the nicer bucks disappear come opening day. Very frustrating sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                On my friend's place in Pipe Creek, it has made a huge difference. They empty his 800 lb feeder in about 10 days. Sure you feed neighbor's deer as well. But his daughter has killed three bucks over the last three years that were pushing or over 200 lbs.
                Does he need another bow/gun on his place? [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post

I'd say you have us trumped. Our place is a small family property with not alot of animals, and they get alot of pressure all season from the neighbors. I try to plan hunts during the week to avoid it. And hunt for axis mainly in the spring and summer.

Comment

We hunt 500 acres of low fence hill country property. We have 2) 1000 pound feeders. They get emptied in 3-4 weeks. Probably get re-filled every 6-8 weeks. Neighbors feed as well. We manage the herd as best we can on a low fence place. We have seen improvement in the herd, and we don't shoot young bucks.

We feed Rack Plus.
                    Last edited by lilavidhunter; 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Occasionally we will have a toad pass through

Comment

if you're on a budget its hard to beat cotton seed

Comment

We use www.lindnerfeed.com we have had great results on both places. You consumption will depend on how many deer you have per ac and how big a place you have. Every place is different so it's hard to say how much to feed, but I can tell the protein we use is proven. The guys will deliver to your ranch just give them a call and let them know what you want to do.

Comment

Keep em coming. Thanks

Comment

we are off of salt branch loop just north of the Mason Gilespie county line. We have been feeding protein for 4 years. We do not have any exotics but do have hogs and turkey. The protein consumption rate skyrocketed after the first year. We hunt on 1500 acres and fill our feeders once a month we have 6, 2 thousand pound protein feeders. the first year we only had to fill them 3 times during the off season. The feeders run out between 3-4 weeks now. maybe a little longer in the spring and a little quicker during the summer. The main difference we have noticed is body weight, mass and extra points. We are low fence and our neighbors unfortunately do not manage their age and loose some good young bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X